HEY i have a MG100DFX, i dont like it anymore and am wanting to buy a new amp.
Im looking for that metal metallica tone coz thats what i mostly play with my friends (drummer , 2 guitars).
I have an epi les paul standard and im gonna rip out its pups and stick in some EMG 81/85's (this isnt about the pups thats separate).

im looking to spend about £430 but i can stretch to a bit more. I was thinking about the spider2 150watt stack
or a valve combo. i would really like a stack tonal weight an that shiz.

I want it to growl but have tone, u get me?

Thanx for any help in advance

PS: first post, this is the best fourm

Oh and dont start bitching about the MG or saying i should get JMC plz i know
Dont Do The Spider, Save Yourself!!
Founder of the Trombone>Sax>all club, pm me my fellow 'boners!!

we hit harder than anyone else. Ug's lacrosse club, pm me or hrdcorelaxplaya to join!
Spider 2 is a no no.

It won't have "tonal weight" when compared to other things you can get at that price.

combos...
the marshall dsl401 is in your price range, but has reliability issues often. also the time may not be what you want.
I'm going to reccomend you look into laney.
If you look around used you may even be able to find a valve half stack with a bit more money, if it's really what you want.
thanx

I was also looking at the peavey valve king?

Also waht cabs would u recomend on the cheep?

Edit: the head not combo
Quote by Alex2zulu
thanx

I was also looking at the peavey valve king?

Also waht cabs would u recomend on the cheep?

Edit: the head not combo

the peavey VK is more a classic rock amp alone...but you can add boosters and EQs and whatnot to it to push it to metal.

Behringer cabs *the older ones not the new ones* handle metal well. They have tons of low end and the highs cut thru nicely. and theyre like 250 bucks..
Quote by Alex2zulu
cool

um what about Peavey Supreme XL, it looks pritty sweet

thats like the same as the XXL...one of my personal most hated amps lol.

some people like it though...so youd have to try it out.

is all SS though.
Definetly go tube... I got my first tube amp yesterday and when the tubes get warm, boy do they sound great. I had the channel volume cranked and got some nice warm breakup in the cleans. Almost goo'd myself.
dude i think i might have found it , Marshall AVT150HX, does the fact that its not 100% tube make a big differnce. the main signal is processed through valves right ?
but would it lose the quality through the power amp?

Congrats with ur new amp
Quote by Alex2zulu
dude i think i might have found it , Marshall AVT150HX, does the fact that its not 100% tube make a big differnce. the main signal is processed through valves right ?
but would it lose the quality through the power amp?

Congrats with ur new amp

rule of thumb when in the G G&A forum: Dont say youre thinking of getting an MG or an AVT.

lol

its not really that great of an amp. the fact that its a "hybrid" doesnt even contribute to the sound...its more of a marketing hype...

have you thought of/tried the Vox Valvetronix heads? Or even a Cube60?
^its an MG basically with the tubes there as a marketing scheme
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by mexican_shred
^its an MG basically with the tubes there as a marketing scheme

lol
...........holy shiz is the demo on there web site as good as the amp ? if it is im practicly sold, just goto go down to the local muic shop tomorow and try it

thanx

....vox rockz etc etc
Why don't you like your MG?... i was thinking of buying one, can I buy yours, lets say £500?....

.......anyway, Ebay is your best bet, you can get so much more for your money.
hey dude for £500 ill buy u a new one, did u try and convert that figure from a $ value
Quote by Alex2zulu
...........holy shiz is the demo on there web site as good as the amp ? if it is im practicly sold, just goto go down to the local muic shop tomorow and try it

thanx

....vox rockz etc etc

what demo for what amp??
With a budget like that, you could look into a Peavey XXX 112 on eBay . Great tones and a great price for what you want.
My gear:
'96 Ibanez S540FMTT
'91 Standard Gibson SG [w/ Bare Knuckle Warpigs]
Peavey Triple XXX 112
Quote by Jarrott
With a budget like that, you could look into a Peavey XXX 112 on eBay . Great tones and a great price for what you want.

+139484384359084554.....435908435908435904

yeah...
Quote by Alex2zulu
hey dude for £500 ill buy u a new one, did u try and convert that figure from a $ value

nah, I was just joking, I don't want a MG
you have all be very helpful and for that im greatfull

But to hell with this im just gonna go to the local shop tomorrow and skip college for 1 day and just have a massive jam session in there. gonna try all there expencive gear and then think seriously about what i want.
thanx for the pointers

PS whats the very best amp outthere i recon its the Mesa/boggie tripple recto

Any other opinions?
Quote by Alex2zulu
you have all be very helpful and for that im greatfull

But to hell with this im just gonna go to the local shop tomorrow and skip college for 1 day and just have a massive jam session in there. gonna try all there expencive gear and then think seriously about what i want.
thanx for the pointers

PS whats the very best amp outthere i recon its the Mesa/boggie tripple recto

Any other opinions?

Dual >>> Triple IMO

but the very best out there would pwnt a Recto lol