My friend gave me his squire strat to repaint. It has a sunburst finish with black around the edges. I have painted 2 guitars before but they always had the whole bodies painted one solid color, I just sanded them down to bare wood. Do I sand this one down to bare wood or can I just take all of the shine off of the old lacquer to make it smooth and flat looking? I always wipe them down with mineral spirits or paint prep to remove the oils and I use one can of primer before the base coat.
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Hello?
Ibanez AEL 12-string

What are you trying to accomplish?
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
Quote by AlGeeEater
What are you trying to accomplish?

uhhh paint it.
Ibanez AEL 12-string

Solid color? You're not exactly the most clearest poster out there...

"I have painted 2 guitars before but they always had the whole bodies painted one solid color, I just sanded them down to bare wood."

What's the difference? Are you just painting this a soild color? Or do you want it to be natural? Maybe if you asked more specific questions you would actually get answers instead of being a smartass about it.
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
^ I think he means that the bodies were previously painted one solid color and he's not sure if the sunburst works the same or if there's a difference in the thickness of the finish or something.
Quote by gibsonpenguin
^ I think he means that the bodies were previously painted one solid color and he's not sure if the sunburst works the same or if there's a difference in the thickness of the finish or something.

thats what i understood
Call me Sean
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
He's just trying to protect our innocence.

Yes i am
Quote by :Vicious--

Your flirting powers are incredible.

Gear:
Schecter S1 Elite Black Cherry (Soapbar Neck, Invader Bridge)
Schecter Banshee
Orange Dual Terror
Boss CE-5
Goatkeeper
Ah, doens't matter if you want a solid finish, you can scuff it up with 220 and paint your primer. Or if you want, you can sand it down ot wood adn paint it. But sunburst squers have more layers on tehm. They spray the yellow and red on top of each other, and then a layer of lacquer, tehn black, and more lacqer. So there are abotu 2 more layers then normal.