our band is having our first practice soon. we have 3 players in our band, me (guitarist), a keyboardist, and a drummer. we have 3 songs where we have guitar and keyboard music for it. and we have another 2-3 where we just have the guitar part. what should we do? should we just try to figure out how to play every song then actually practice them another day or what? (oh, and were just doing covers) lastly, the music is easy stuff, its all chords. were playing coldplay, james blunt, daniel powter type music where its a lot of piano and easy guitar.
Well, firstly, I'm assuming that either your or the keyboardist sing as well? Possibly the drummer...but I doubt that. Anyway, if you have three songs then you should go through and make sure everyone knows what to do, play it a few times. Then go onto the next. If you play the same song 500 times in a ow people tend to get a little bit pissy. i learned that the hard way.
But most importantly, just have fun.
Just show your ideas to the new members, ask them what they think, and if they like it tell them to jam along with it and if they don't like it, don't argue with them bc then the relationship within the bad will grow bad. Just jam and try to make some kill riffs and music. Don't try to be too controling.

1st practice; just go with the flow.
I don't think most drummers use "sheet music" or "drum tab" to figure out their drum lines. The drummer in my band just listens to a song and after studying it he can usually make up a beat and fills that are at least 75% correct.

By the way are there any places with lots of drum tabs?
Learn some Anthrax

That was really uncalled for. He enjoys a different style of music than you. Get used to it. Not everyone listens to your kind of music.
Quote by Sid Watts
By the way are there any places with lots of drum tabs?

yeah, try www.mxtabs.net.

and thanks for the help everyone!
It's probably a good idea to try and change the songs up a little bit, adding a few hammer ons, slides and extra notes can give a song a whole different feel. U and the drummer shoudl probably practice more often than the whole band until you guys click then get together. And like Unconstrained said don't repeat a song too much, maybe break it up like play as far as possible the first time, then say you had trouble on one part, play what leads up to and ends up that part a few times and practice on your own time a lot.
Quote by MESAexplorer
It's probably a good idea to try and change the songs up a little bit, adding a few hammer ons, slides and extra notes can give a song a whole different feel.

i thought about that. i think we might add a little distortion in some parts or make the drummer louder in some places to give a more "emotional" type of feel.