Page 1 of 2
I've been thinking about upgrading to a Jackson RR3 pretty soon. It has a LFR which is supposed to be pretty good. However, my friend tells me that FRs are complete nightmares to restring and stuff. I know that it's not as simple as a string-through or anything, but would it really be that hard for me to figure it out?
Your body has parts your country can spare! By the way son, here's your wheelchair!
FR's in general aren't really hard to work with and shouldn't be that hard unless you're retarded or something. I don't know anything about that specific trem though.
FS/T: Ibanez RG570, IBZ/DiMarzio V8 Pup

Member #6 of the Ibanez RG5xx & up club PM tombo32 to join < 110% credit to t2russo
Floyd roses ARE complete nightmares, especially cheap ones such as on the RR3. I have the RR5, and its the best guitar ive ever played, i think you should go for that instead.
What Comes Before Part B? Partaaaaay!

Quote by HammettHead
lmao psykopoo ur a bloody genius!
Quote by psykopoo
Floyd roses ARE complete nightmares, especially cheap ones such as on the RR3. I have the RR5, and its the best guitar ive ever played, i think you should go for that instead.

I've heard quite a few people here say the FR on the 2006 RR3 is pretty stable.
Your body has parts your country can spare! By the way son, here's your wheelchair!
Floyd Roses just aren't worth it. If you break a string you have to put in a new set (which takes fifteen minutes in itselt) and then intonate it back to normal.

Also changing strings is a bitch.

You can't even change the tuning. I hate them
I have one guitar with a Floyd Rose and I can assure you it's going to be the last.
Quote by DieGarbageMan
can i get a tl;dr up in this bitch?

A mod makes a joke and hi-jacks a thread...

Quote by paintITblack39
usually, this is often discussed in the political threads ...

let's change the question: are you pro or antti niemi?
if you don't need the FR or you won't be using it much, then it would just be a hassle. also you can't switch between tunings without tweaking the guitar.
Quote by The 1
if you don't need the FR or you won't be using it much, then it would just be a hassle. also you can't switch between tunings without tweaking the guitar.

I stick with standard tuning about 99% of the time.
The people who are saying "flyod roses are t3h suxxors"

are saying this because of the following

1. Have a guitar with the crappy floyd rose(lfrs). good chance they have never owned a guitar with an OFR, Edge, Edge Pro, Schaller, Gotoh, or Lo Pro
2. Dont know how to manage a flyod rose
3. jumping on the band wagon.

The floyd rose is a great bridge if you get a good one. The good ones stay in tunes better than a tune of matic bridge. Also changing strings isnt that hard like everyone says. once you lock the nut you're done till next string change. Also with the new "tremelo-no" device on teh market for your floyd rose you can now switch tunings.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
well i'm also glad to hear they're not too difficult. I recently got an 01 Ibanez S with a LO-TRS...i also want to change the strings, and now i have to cause i broke one...i'm so afraid to touch it...
GEAR:
Washburn x10 "Washy"
Ibanez S470DXQM "Kimberly"
BC Rich NJ strat "Sydney"
Roland Cube 60
Vox V847
Boss OD1
Boss CE2
Digitech Death Metal
Russian Big Muff PI
DOD Deth Metal
Ibanez SM9
Quote by mexican_shred

1. Have a guitar with the crappy floyd rose(lfrs). good chance they have never owned a guitar with an OFR, Edge, Edge Pro, Schaller, Gotoh, or Lo Pro

The floyd rose is a great bridge if you get a good one. The good ones stay in tunes better than a tune of matic bridge. Also changing strings isnt that hard like everyone says. once you lock the nut you're done till next string change. Also with the new "tremelo-no" device on teh market for your floyd rose you can now switch tunings.

The guitar I had was an EDGE pro I hate them because

-you can't change the tuning without having to adjust the damn springs
-if you break a string every other string goes out of tune and you have to put a new pack on
-it takes like half an hour to change the strings and you need an allen wrench
-if you push your palm down to hard on the bridge while palm muting it bends the note
You sure its Lo-Trs? and not a ZR trem? If it is a Lo TRS after the knife edges wear out look into an OFR .Its a direct swap. The chaneg the strings its 5 minutes tops for me.it

quit jumping on the band wagon. You make yourself look ridiculous^
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
OFR's are great and are very reliable unlike the LFR.
VIVA LA REVOLUTION
I got a ibanez sabre with zr and old 550 with lo pro. The zr one easier to tune and play with, and the bridge doesnt just fall out if u took out all the strings. As for changing for strings, if you use the same strings(guage and etc etc), you wouldnt need to adjust many things compared to the 1st setup
LFRs are fine. I love Floyds, then can hold tune very well and can go down in tuning. Also, if I ever break a string, I always change the whole set because then u have a new string with old strings and it sounds like crap.
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
1968 Fender Vibrochamp - Great amp, only $100 fixxer-upper
Line 6 Spider II

REMEMBER, ALL TONE IS SUBJECTIVE!
I got a Jackson RR03 this weekend, the dumbass at guitar center let the FR dump so I've had trouble dealing with that. As long as you don't plan on switching tunings that guitar will stay in tune forever but they are a bitch when you are changing tunings.
Quote by SGStrummer61
LFRs are fine. I love Floyds, then can hold tune very well and can go down in tuning. Also, if I ever break a string, I always change the whole set because then u have a new string with old strings and it sounds like crap.

With a hardtail bridge guitar you could still use all the other strings if one broke.
OMG, lay off floyd roses plz, its the most misunderstood creature in the world. Its gentle and kind but if you treat them like crap, or you abuse them too much, they'll retaliate. Also do not get the bad licenced ones, they're the main cause of badmouthing floyd rose floating style trem. The good licenced one are Edge, Lo-Pro Edge, Edge Pro and ZR from Ibanez. Others like Kahler and Schaller are also good being that its almost the same as the OFR. And OFR, well what can you say, they're the ones who made em so, meh~.

And about all this string breaking thing and instability of tuning, you can get a backstopper or a tremol-no to solve your problem.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
they are very great bridges but if you are learning on ur own it can be a little difficult, I would reccomend having a guy at guitar center or something help you with it the first time. You could also check out these things, they are great for most locking trems and make ur life alot easier.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/EVHDTunaDropDTuningSystem?sku=361390
http://news.harmony-central.com/Newp/2006/Allparts-Tremol-No.html
As I see the ignorance of humanity engulfing reason and sanity like a wave of perpetual defeat and misery I ask myself, when the hell is everyone going to shut up and actually think?
Original Floyd Roses are the greatest addition to ever touch an electric guitar.

Thread Closed.
The operation of a Original floyd rose is near identical to a jackson Lo-pro, don't worry. If you have the moneys I'd invest in one.
Quote by Ihearthetfield
The guitar I had was an EDGE pro I hate them because

-you can't change the tuning without having to adjust the damn springs
-if you break a string every other string goes out of tune and you have to put a new pack on
-it takes like half an hour to change the strings and you need an allen wrench
-if you push your palm down to hard on the bridge while palm muting it bends the note

- tremol-no
- i have never broken a sting with my floyd bridge but i admit that is a problem
- half an hour to change strings? are you retarded? the FIRST time i ever had to change strings it took at maximum 15 minutes to do
- there is not reason why you would have to push down hard enough on the bridge for that to happen, you can slide your wrist towards the headstock and you get the same effect its just an adjustment that needs making.

and to the thread starter, if you plan on actually using the trem and play lead then definately get one, and the trem on the RR3 will be fine and the worst case scenario is that it will fail in 6 months+ and if that does happen it should be an exact swap out for an OFR, ie it is very easy to do if you have one. if you dont intend to use the trem very much at all and are primarily a rythm player or something get an RR5 for convienience.

in summary, it is NOT hard to change strings on a floyd and the only real hassle is getting it set up in the first place, after that it is a piece of piss to keep it in good working order. and on a side note, both the rr3 and rr5 are sick guitars
if i have a LFR is it possible withought routing to change it out for a OFR?

or a Edge III bridge on an ibanez rg320 changed out for an OFR? without any mods to the cavity.
edge III routing, a OFR could fit in without any mods, its right in fit. At least for rg350. Anyway OFR cost a bomb, i rather get a schaller imo
I love Floyd Rose guitars. I think a problem that hasn't been pointed out is that strings on a Floyd Rose have to be locked down good and tight before tuning. If not, you're easily going to break a string when tuning or playing. I use Ernie Ball strings on mine, they seem to work perfectly.
Quote by Ihearthetfield
Floyd Roses just aren't worth it. If you break a string you have to put in a new set (which takes fifteen minutes in itselt) and then intonate it back to normal.

Also changing strings is a bitch.

You can't even change the tuning. I hate them

not true, one of the best theings about th fr is that if you break a string you can unwined it alittle and stick it back in because you cut off the ball end.
i think LFR's are a bit hit and miss, i was quite lucky i got mine for £40 and it holds tune tremendously well, i have to tune it like every week or so, used and abused every day. But i am going to go for an OFR when i get some money, simply due to the fact they nearly never go out of tune. Best addition to the guitar, i cant play comfortably without one, on a les paul or something im always reaching for the bar during like a solo....
Quote by mexican_shred

Mexishred always gets it right.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
I love floyd roses. First when i got my RG1570 it was pretty hard, and if you accidently mix different string gauges in your guitar. Your screwed. Well i was, and later found out that was the problem. If you dont change Tunings so often, this guitar will hold its tune until one of your strings pop, or hey, increase spring tension so when it breaks it should come down a little more so you can still play like in gigs.

Its best to have........

1. Floyd-Rose bridge Guitar

2. A Fix-Bridgee Guitar

Seriously its really good to have different guitars shoot get a 7 string fix, and a 7-string floyd.

My fav Floyd is the Edge Pro since you dont have to cut them ball ends off. Which i hate and am lazy at it. The people who hate Floyd roses have whacky LFRs and sh*t so thats why they wining....

By the way, get the TREMOL-NO (or w/e its called lol) Im looking forward for ones until they go national worldwide.
[img]http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9672/stevevaisigver24vf.jpg[/img]
Just an influence.
Quote by MorbidAngel333
well i'm also glad to hear they're not too difficult. I recently got an 01 Ibanez S with a LO-TRS...i also want to change the strings, and now i have to cause i broke one...i'm so afraid to touch it...

My Ibanez s470 has a floyd rose system where you put the string through the pipe at the end rather than having to cut it like i did on my old Jackson Kelly. Much easier..
Floyds are great. And if you get a tremol-no, you can just lock the trem if you break a string, so it'll stay in tune. An added bonus is if the other strings are already in tune, then you just have to tighten up the new one, stretch it, lock it, and unclamp the t-no, and it should stay balanced.
Mine Has The D-tuna. That Must Have Been Built By Terrorists Because Its The Bomb.
^Good For You Now Stop Capsing The First Letter Of Every Word It Makes You Look Like A Douche.
Anyone else think tahtalmost $70 is a little pricey for that tremel-no?
:stickpoke

Baby, if I were biscuits and you were gravy, I'd sop you up

FIGHT IGNORANCE

"I fear for my flesh, but I fear for my spirit even more..."
Page 1 of 2