when should a band start making their own songs after only doing covers? also, can you make a cd with other peoples songs on it?
ASAP you should start working on your own stuff.

If you put a demo out, maybe one cover in 4 or 5 songs is ok
Fender Jim Root Signature Telecaster
Martin Westside Custom Edition
Peavey 6505
Peavey XXX Cab
ISP Decimator Prorack G
Sennheiser EW172 G3
Sennheiser wireless IEM
Ibanez TS9DX
Boss TU-2 Tuner
MY BAND:
http://www.myspace.com/thedirtyyouth
You can make a CD with covers, but you'd have to pay royalties if you sell it.
Ohhh...My head hurts...

Quote by Inahrima
^ have i told you i keep misreading your title as UG's biggest bad greek?
rite now. and it's kool if u play cover songs, but i woudln't make a cd out of them. People would know those songs too well and would judge you unless you play them really well.
Whenever you can. If you come up with a cool riff, show it to your drummer and keyboardist. Maybe they can make something up for it. Then there ya go. And you can, but you have to have written permission from the record company, give them royalties, pay them..blah blah blah. It's really a pain. But anyway. just start jamming and hey maybe you'll make it big. Haha.
Royalties suck, just write as much stuff as you can and use the good ones but keep the crapper ideas for later - you can always re-use something or edit it so it sounds good.

And learn theory if you haven't, makes it quicker.
Quote by gdm09
what are royalties?

long story short: money
i think its a gd idea to stop playing covers when you feel as a band you have enough ideas to start your own material, also start writing your own stuff when you get bored playing covers........thats how my band started, we did like 4 covers when we were in the getting together stage and now we're writing our 8th original, all in about a year n a half.
dude, i was never in a band that even played covers, they just blow. Everyone will know when you funk it up. Well actually the first cover i ever played was a week ago, and it was a blink song, and we muffed it up cause i couldnt remember the words. I hate other people's songs. Plus, you cant make it anywhere do that. Shiiiitt
Covers aren't that bad though you should never try and play them exactly as they sound in the original. My latest band have just started out and we're playing a few covers at our first gig next week, one of which is Break On Through by the doors, in which we've replaced the keyboard/organ with guitar which sounds just as cool, if not cooler! But we also have 4 or 5 songs of our own on the go as well.
what about if youre doing a cover/remake songs from another country to a diff. country???
example: many of the songs here in the Philippines never made it to other countries like Australia for ex....so if we'll do cover's that the people haven't heard of yet....(especially the hits!) and maybe put it in a DEMO CD for a record label.......(and maybe put it in an album or so...)would that be illegal??? do we have to pay the band/record label that produced/composed the original song????
"BEEN PLAYING SINCE JUNE 2005"
Ibanez JEM JR. (look at my avatar)
N:Paf Pro
B:X2N
LINE6 Spider II 30w
"NO TO PIRACY" "YES TO P2P DOWNLOADS!"
#1 Member of "Filipino Shredders" (pm me to join)
Quote by Zenitro
what about if youre doing a cover/remake songs from another country to a diff. country???
example: many of the songs here in the Philippines never made it to other countries like Australia for ex....so if we'll do cover's that the people haven't heard of yet....(especially the hits!) and maybe put it in a DEMO CD for a record label.......(and maybe put it in an album or so...)would that be illegal??? do we have to pay the band/record label that produced/composed the original song????

You can't make money off of songs that aren't yours. People might think you wrote these songs yourself, thus you just screwed over the other band or group.

Threadstarter: Start doing originals whenever you feel like it, if you don't know where to start, have a jam session with someone, or just have some one on one with someone to see how they just play stuff. After that it should be easier comming up with your own original material.

You can use covers on a demo IF you don't sell the demo, if you're planning on selling the demo you'll have to deal with royalties.

Royalties are a certain amount of money (I believe it's usually a certain percent of money made for the cd) you'll have to pay whoever originally made the song you're covering. This ensures that they get the proper recognition and money for their original material.
Save a drum, Bang a drummer!

Quote by Dragatear
You guys are REALLY strict. Worse than neopets.

Quote by Tyler Wright
cokesodanotdrug, your a bitch.
I think starting with some covers at first is a good idea, helps figure what kind of music you're going to play and gets you use to the other people in the band. But after maybe 5 covers then you start to write your own stuff.
And never play a concert with straight covers. Ever.
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join
Founder of the Soundgarden Fan Club (Louder Than F*ck!). PM me to join.
Quote by scottishmob
I think starting with some covers at first is a good idea, helps figure what kind of music you're going to play and gets you use to the other people in the band. But after maybe 5 covers then you start to write your own stuff.
And never play a concert with straight covers. Ever.

what? and why is this? haha, I've heard many bands play only covers and do fine, plus I'd rather hear a band play 10 covers than 5 covers and 5 ****ty songs they wrote