-Epi Les Paul Junior

-Squire Bullet

-Squire Bullet Special

or

Any others under 200 that will do the job.

I play metal and punk, and have a VOX AD50VT
Last edited by ACDC4Life at May 22, 2006,
they are the absolute sh1ttiest guitars ever, if you like acdc you should save for an epiphone g400 SG
i personally say go for any guitar you can at the cheapest price. your not gunna perform with it tone aint gonna mater anything u do is gonna own in your own eyes. so geta cheap guitar at first THEN save for the good stuff. thats at what i think is a good idea. cuz the soonest you can get a guitar and play the better instead of waiting another month or so.
I agree, go with the G-400.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Quote by Guitar_junkie
i personally say go for any guitar you can at the cheapest price. your not gunna perform with it tone aint gonna mater anything u do is gonna own in your own eyes. so geta cheap guitar at first THEN save for the good stuff. thats at what i think is a good idea. cuz the soonest you can get a guitar and play the better instead of waiting another month or so.

I disagree. While I see the point. If you don't enjoy playing, you'll never continue. Save a little, and buy something that you will really enjoy playing.
-Epiphone Riviera w/ Bigsby and Gibson 490r/498t combo
-Epiphone Es-333 Delonge Edition
-Fender Twin Reverb '65
im really surprised with all the agile supporters on the forum no one has said it yet
check out the AL-2000's

http://www.rondomusic.net/electricguitar-ss3.html

used is cheaper and if persistant you can find a good guitar really cheap
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Post a naked picture of yourself with your guitar to join.

Quote by gunther_sucks
Hey you look kind of like me.

Except for the sexy man goatee, and kickass shades. And sweet guitar.

I'm jealous.
If you can get a used MIM Standard Stratocaster for around $200-250 that's your best bet.. it's a true, genuine, good quality Fender Stratocaster.

I have one of the new 2006 ones ($400) and it's freaking awesome.

Now when you try out a guitar, make sure you know how to make a note play without it buzzing on a GOOD guitar, that way you can distinguish between a guitar with bad fret buzz and just bad playing.

Otherwise if you want new, get a $200 Squier Strat
All these people say that you won't enjoy playing a cheap guitar, and I am really confused by this. I played my cheap POS squier for 3 years and I never got put off by the abismal tone. Anyways, a beginner usually cannot tell tone differences very well and it probably won't matter to them.
the lower end washburn X series,

for eg. X8 and X10
that are pretty good for a beginner and the plus point is they have 24frets compared to many beginner guitars with 22 frets....

i own the X10 myself but im not being buyist
Quote by dogfennell
Buttseckscore?

sig worthy.
i think the yamaha pacificas arent too bad for a beginner guitar, they're worth the money, much better than any squire, either that or an agile
Washburn WI14. Great guitar. I got it as my beginner guitar and I still enjoy playing it. It's not made of some sh*tty plywood or agathis and sounds quite good. It's only about $150, so you'll have some cash left to save for a good amp.

If you really like the Epiphone LP Junior, save another $100 and get the new Epiphone '57 Les Paul Junior Reissue. It's specs match the original Gibson's. It probably won't handle a TON of genres very well, so be sure you lke the sound first.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by hmmm_de_hum
i think the yamaha pacificas arent too bad for a beginner guitar, they're worth the money, much better than any squire, either that or an agile

Damn right, Squier guitars suck. Pacifica's have a better tone and a humbucker. Yey.
Quote by bjoern_swe
my mom found me sitting in the kitchen, eating Corn Flakes from the floor. when she asked me what I was doing, I just roared at her and ran up to my room.

George Foreman Grill Appreciation Society
Quote by lieutfunaki
I disagree. While I see the point. If you don't enjoy playing, you'll never continue. Save a little, and buy something that you will really enjoy playing.

hmm. At the same time, he may spend all that money and not enjoy it anyway and waste his money.
Doesn't really matter how good you're guitar is when you suck ass at it anyway, so a beginner wont notice much of a difference.
I say get a piece of **** then when you get decent enough upgrade your guitar, this not only refreshes their enjoyment by having a new upgraded guitar but this runs out the risks of buying an expensive guitar that he may lose interest in anyway.
Quote by master
Yep. It was my birthday and I was wanking in my room and all of a sudden my whole family came jumping in yelling "SURPRISE!!" I guess they were the ones who ended up being surprised.
Quote by hmmm_de_hum

What makes a Yamaha Pacifica better than a Squier? How many people are riding the bandwagon?
http://www.kellyindustries.com/guitars/fender_squier.html
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/product/reviews/base_pid=515225/rpp=10/
^^read the reviews^^^
VVV VVV
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/YamahaPAC112JElectricGuitar?sku=511077
NO SQUIER BULLETS!!!!

Good beginner guitars:
-Yamaha Pacifica 112
-Ibanez GSA 60
-Epiphone LP or G-400 standards
-Agile LP copies

Don't even think about:
-Squier affinity (chinese)
-Squeir bullet
-Coxx Classix (the ****-brown one)
-Anything by Collins (not to be confused with 'Collings', which are pretty good)
**** squiers, everyone's got those ****ty guitars. only pussies who play blink 182 play that guitar. get a YAMAHA PACIFICA 112, best beginner guitar (that's IMO for the losers who are gonna start arguing that "boo hoo, thats just your opinion") anyway, its got some nice neck with easy playability, its cheap and its got some nice pickups with a humbucker and you can trash it around, down tune it, whatever, and it still plays well. GET IT.
Quote by nish
**** squiers, everyone's got those ****ty guitars. only pussies who play blink 182 play that guitar. get a YAMAHA PACIFICA 112, best beginner guitar (that's IMO for the losers who are gonna start arguing that "boo hoo, thats just your opinion") anyway, its got some nice neck with easy playability, its cheap and its got some nice pickups with a humbucker and you can trash it around, down tune it, whatever, and it still plays well. GET IT.

boo, hoo, that's just your opinion

I'd wager you've likely not played both, if either one, or rather you actually own a Yamaha, so that means it owns
Yamaha is nice, Epiphone is nice, Agile is nice if your in the US (but you gotta pay for shipping and can't play it first, which is a drawback). SOME Squires are decent, but hte ones mentioned here are all crap. Tokai makes some pretty cheap guitars that are quite nice. There are some cheap Schecters for those into a heavier sound, as well as cheap Ibanez. I don't think there are any cheap ESP or Jackson worth purchasing, but that's personal opinion. Anyway, for $200, your not going to get much unless you get a used guitar (Used Mexican Fender!!). Just play as many as possible and buy one
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
What you want is a guitar made from decent wood with decent pickups. Avoid Agathis and plywood guitars.

Take everything you hear on these forums with a BIG grain of salt, everyone is biased by what they own (or what they want to own). Basically, just take the suggestions, go to a big guitar store and try out all of those guitars. Pick the one YOU like best. Just because someone here sys "Oh x brand sucks. Get z brand instead." doesn't mean that x brand is bad or that z brand is good. It's just that persons preference.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
According to Wikipedia, there was a time when some Squiers were made of plywood, I can't imagine a plywood guitar being anything more than a toy, even some plastice would fare better. But today NO Squiers are made from plywood. They are made from agathis and alder, both woods that come from trees that mutiply and grow quickly, unlike the fine hardwoods like maple and mahogany.

I've never even held a Squier, or fr that matter an Agile or Pacifica, but I really think the criticism of Squiers is a little harsh.
^ you have to hear the cheap ones lol. Decent Squires ($300+ in cost from what I've found) actually don't sound overly horrible. But our friend here doesn't have a budget to cover the cost. The one's they posted are not good at all (I know far to many people who own them, I've played them hundreds of times, they are as bad as everyone says). The single Agile I played was nice, and I do recommend it, but it's not for everyone. The Pacifica is decent, but it is deffinatly intended for a starter guitar. Anyway, like everyone is saying, play as many as possible and buy one (I think I posted that at the end of my last post) and you'll find something you like. Just use these suggestions as the tiniest of starting points. There are thousands of guitar companies out there, try as many as you can.
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
xenn99 ill go with ur answer im heading up to guitar center this coming monday
theres a huge sale so thanks for the advice
I would imagine the Bullets leave a llittle (lot) to be desired, made from "laminated hardwood" and all, but that's a $90 - 100 guitar, one step above a toy. For around $150 - 200 you can get a Squier strat with an alder body from Musicians Friend.
150 gets an ibanez GRX20, which is a nice guitar for the price, and if you save 50 more, for 250 you can get the IJS40 the WHOLE pack, which has an Ibanez GRX40, which also is a very nice starter guitar, you get an amp (its OK) a tuner, picks, strap, all of that kinda stuff
My Gear-

Guitars
- Schecter Gryphon
- Ibanez GRX40

Amp/Effects

- Crate FXT65 With DSP
- Dunlop Cry Baby Classic

My Choice
- DR 9's
- Dunlop 2mm
i think a squier is a good guitar to start with as theres a chance that you will give up playing guitar once you find things difficult (this happens to some). and besides, when you decide to upgrade, you buy a guitar with a humbucker and a better construction overall and you realise what a piece of crap you've been playing previously. you tend to appreciate better guitars more.

then you leave your squier to rot in your garage over the years.
THE GODS MADE HEAVY METAL