Does anyone have memorization tips when learning new riffs and song? I run into a problem where I forget material or have a hard time remembering it if I'm not practicing it continually. Even simple chord progressions and riffs. I have learned a decent amount of material, but just don't have time to routinely practice it all. It sucks, because stuff that I can play well becomes rusty overtime.

Any general advice for memorization or tips on commiting stuff to memory and retaining the information?
Yeah its called the 'Practice Everyday Technique'.
::::Soul Prospect::::
♪♫♫♫♪
The default UG answer: Practice
Quote by Man_In_The_Box
learn some green day. they are totally brutal.
Quote by Bob Sacamano
Does anyone have memorization tips when learning new riffs and song? I run into a problem where I forget material or have a hard time remembering it if I'm not practicing it continually. Even simple chord progressions and riffs. I have learned a decent amount of material, but just don't have time to routinely practice it all. It sucks, because stuff that I can play well becomes rusty overtime.

Any general advice for memorization or tips on commiting stuff to memory and retaining the information?

I imagine a field of long grass blowing in the wind....walking a white pony through it wearing all white. Magically, I'm not getting grass stains, or mud spots...

Suddenly the wind picks up and I find myself dancing in very silly ways with vertically challenged people of unspecified origin or ethnicity.

Well, and then things just pretty much get silly.

It helps me remember though man...I swear by it.

p.s. not really.
-Epiphone Riviera w/ Bigsby and Gibson 490r/498t combo
-Epiphone Es-333 Delonge Edition
-Fender Twin Reverb '65
I generally find I remember something that I read from sheet music or tab out myself a LOT longer than something I just read a tab for
Hmm...memorizing huh, i'd personally think its wrong to fully memorize or memorizing 100% using ur brain. Muscle memory is better, even after a couple of months you havent played that song, your fingers may fiddle in the place where it think its the note. The key to this is yes, practice.

Also, it'd be a lot easier to learn solos by finding its root key so that you got the basic idea on which scale it uses, rather than blindly memorizing it which later you will tend to forget. Another tip is, just hear the songs that you're trying to play a lot, and i mean a lot, over and over again until its embeded in ur mind. That way, you wont lose the beat and rythm of it.

The way you learn tabs or music sheets also affect your progress. It'd best if you learn a tab and listening to the mp3 at the same time, or listen part by part and play the tab. Refer to the music as guide and try to follow it using the tab.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Last edited by madpickin03 at May 23, 2006,
i dont know bout you...but i just play it a couple of times,then it gets into my head..
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Yeah what madpickin03 said. It's a bad habit to have to remember where your fingers go. Play parts repeatedly and it becomes second nature after a while
Quote by jimtaka
i'd say your guitar is out of tune, or you are accidentally muting strings that you aren't trying to, or your right hand isn't strumming at the same time that your left hand is fretting, or you could be reading the tab upside down...