So... I am thinking about buying parts to make a custom strat. Pretty standard stuff:
Warmouth CBS C-shaped neck, (poplar, alder, or swamp ash?) strat body with both
contour cuts with a rosewood fret vintage style tuners and Med/Jumbo frets and gunmetal vintage tint, and maybe prewired electronics from acmeguitarworks. I am hoping to get authentic Fender vintage noiseless pickups, (6 vs. 2 point?) Trem bridge, and cream ... uuuhhhh... plastic hardware. I want my guitar to be versitle and be able to play modern indie, classic rock, punk, and what ever else I feel like jamming. This would be my dream guitar.

Although I amd obsessed with guitars and specs, I really know nothing about the really good electronics and stuff. I also know that a project like this will cost a lot and may be better suited for when I have a couple grand to play with, so I may just opt for a new Standard Strat, Deluxe Player strat, '69 RI Tele Thinline, or American RI '62 Strat. Hopefully both a Tele and a strat in the future. I am looking at about a $1200 budget by the end of the summer. Or maybe I'll just stick with my beloved Squire Strat considering my current skill level and performace record (the record being one really bad acoustic show).

I would just feel better with some imput from the masses on my choices of equipment and stuff. Even if I don't go through with my idea now it would still be great to hear some opinions. If you need a good vocalist, hit me up by PM ,or email I guess, that I am good at. Thanks in advance.
it wont' be near a couple grand. Unless you wnat it painted professionally, and all that junk. A swamp ash or alder body will be good. Swamp ash was used in the 50s and alder is used now. I'd look into a lace sensor blue/silver/red combo for pups. And a 2 point wilkinson trem would be nice. I think duplicolor does some sort of metallica finish which is close enough ot gunmetal. And this shoudl be in GB&C btw.

Edit, I meant metallic, not metallica
Last edited by kaplac at May 23, 2006,
Quote by turtlestratry
So... I am thinking about buying parts to make a custom strat. Pretty standard stuff:
Warmouth CBS C-shaped neck, (poplar, alder, or swamp ash?) strat body with both
contour cuts with a rosewood fret vintage style tuners and Med/Jumbo frets and gunmetal vintage tint, and maybe prewired electronics from acmeguitarworks. I am hoping to get authentic Fender vintage noiseless pickups, (6 vs. 2 point?) Trem bridge, and cream ... uuuhhhh... plastic hardware. I want my guitar to be versitle and be able to play modern indie, classic rock, punk, and what ever else I feel like jamming. This would be my dream guitar.

Although I amd obsessed with guitars and specs, I really know nothing about the really good electronics and stuff. I also know that a project like this will cost a lot and may be better suited for when I have a couple grand to play with, so I may just opt for a new Standard Strat, Deluxe Player strat, '69 RI Tele Thinline, or American RI '62 Strat. Hopefully both a Tele and a strat in the future. I am looking at about a $1200 budget by the end of the summer. Or maybe I'll just stick with my beloved Squire Strat considering my current skill level and performace record (the record being one really bad acoustic show).

I would just feel better with some imput from the masses on my choices of equipment and stuff. Even if I don't go through with my idea now it would still be great to hear some opinions. If you need a good vocalist, hit me up by PM ,or email I guess, that I am good at. Thanks in advance.

My opinions:

A) Warmoth is a bit expensive. You'd get a better deal going with an American made Fender neck and/or body from eBay. Now don't get me wrong, Warmoth is great(I've ordered a body before,) it's just that the body I got wasn't really worth the 200 I paid now that I look back. Finding a CBS era style neck might be a bit hard though, if I were you and had that cash I'd go eBay American Strat body, with a Warmoth neck. The Warmoth bodies aren't worth the extra price tag. (Over 100$ painted.)

B) Before you start on a project like this, why don't you mess with the Squire a bit? First of all, find out what material the body is. Alder or what? Most Affinity Strats on up are alder, and some can be pretty decent. I had a three piece alder body from a Squire strat that was great. I'd start by replacing the tuners, blocking the trem, and putting in new electronics. Btw, I really reccomend soldering your own electronics, it's not hard at all(basically the easiest part actually) and you feel much more accomplished at the end.

C) Pickups-Fender Vintage Noiseless pickups aren't very good IMHO. If you really have 1200$ to spend, I'd reccomend jumping for some hand wired pickups. That way you can tell a real person what you want, and they'll make you a pickup exactly to your specs. Expect maybe 250 for a set of those guys. If you don't wanna pay for the custom route, try going for some Bareknuckles, or Swinesheads maybe. For something more mainstream, Fender Tex-Mex pickups are very good, I've got some, sound very nice for the price.

D) Trem-I'd go for a Wilkinson, those guys are nice. I personally prefer a 6 point, because I can tighten the springs and lock it into position. I don't use the trem much though, I'm a bit biased. If you like using the whammy, a 2 point might be better for your purposes.

And reported, because it's the wrong forum

Hope that gives you something to chew on
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.