chord tones are notes that make up a chord.

C Major chord tones are C E and G

eh?

for soloing or melodies suspensions are good, like playing a +4 and then resolving it to G or something, it depends on your style, i just like suspensions.
which would be easy to make a solo with chord tones of a chord progression or a scale
chord tones are good to use as a solid backbone, but any solo (probably some exceptions) that has only three notes will not be very good.
well i have this chord progression E D A and if i use the noters from that it just makes up the A major scale so whats the point of chord tones
you only need a single scale for many songs. However, knowing the chord progressions, you can adjust your solos to fit that chord, so it sounds better.
Dude the chord tones are part of the scale. The a Major scale has seven tones. There are also 7 chords that cane be played for each one of thoughs tones. There is a pattern for the major scale. it goes Major minor minor Major Major minor diminished. take any scalse and use that patternof chords. ex: A, bm, c#m, D, E, f#m, g#diminished
The point is, you play the chord tones over the chord that is playing. i.e.

During the A part of your chord progression, you focus on the A C# and E notes. When the Chord progression changes to D, focus on the D, F# and A notes. When the progression is on E, you focus on the E, G#, and B notes. Capice?
Just don't let it restrict you to ONLY playing those notes! Play a couple of non-chord notes to create tension and let it resolve on a chord tone
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
Ok, chord tones sound strangely similar to apreggios... if im wrong please explain the difference.

When I jam with my freind, I will play apreggios in a relative or dominant key over his chord progression. So whats the difference between a chord tone and an apreggio. Is a chord tone just played all the notes in a chord but not in a chord formation (as is a basic apreggio).

Im slightly at a loss here.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
Last edited by Guitardude19 at May 23, 2006,
Thanks for clearing that up edg
Woah! I jus done something I never thought I could do... sound melodic and non scaley.

I got my buddy to play Em D Em D and I played as a little lick

E-12-----12--15---14-------14-------
B-----12------------------15-------15---13---12
G-
D-
A-
E-

Sweet...chord tones rock!
Quote by Guitardude19
Ok, chord tones sound strangely similar to apreggios... if im wrong please explain the difference.

When I jam with my freind, I will play apreggios in a relative or dominant key over his chord progression. So whats the difference between a chord tone and an apreggio. Is a chord tone just played all the notes in a chord but not in a chord formation (as is a basic apreggio).

thats exactly what chord tones are apregios
Quote by Guitardude19

Chord tones make up the apreggio. A C major chord is C E G. The chord tones are C E G. To play a C Major arpeggio, you would play C E G.