Ive just got the new Mike Patton album, Peeping Tom, and my god am i shocked at how unique it is, he blends so many genres into his own sick mix of random jibberish and weird metaphors. i love it. i was wondering what you guys think about it, simple enough question.
I was pretty excited to see it finally released, because it's been delayed for ages.

It's a nice album that has much going on. Interesting collaborations, i never would have expected him to hook up with Norah Jones. I'm not blown away, but i like it and it's nice to seem him do something different once again.

I love how Patton always has new ideas, and the persistence and connections to realize them. He's one of the most prolific people in music today and he obviously tries not to do the same thing twice. I admire him, probably more for his endless ideas and the inspiration he is to others, than for the music he makes.

But there's something about Patton that makes it impossible for me to take him seriously when he's singing. It's always this tongue-in-cheekish yelling, grunting, crooning and panting. That worked great in Mr. Bungle and especially Fantomas, but it's become such a trademark sound that it dominates everything he's involved in. It's always deprived of any emotion whatsoever and it doesn't always suit the songs on this album imho.

But there's something about Patton that makes it impossible for me to take him seriously when he's singing. It's always this tongue-in-cheekish yelling, grunting, crooning and panting. That worked great in Mr. Bungle and especially Fantomas, but it's become such a trademark sound that it dominates everything he's involved in. It's always deprived of any emotion whatsoever and it doesn't always suit the songs on this album imho.

Thats very true. But hes so talented at mixing it all up, from rat pack esque to death metal style grunting, hes amazing, But i agree at times it is hard to take him seriously, but to be honest i dont think he takes himself very seriously. But he is one hell of a musician.
Quote by INDUSTRIALMETAL
Patton owns, so I'll be sure to check this out.

Pardon my double posting, but it has to be said. This is indeed a very collective album, i personnally would reccomend it to new listeners of patton and "veteren patton listeners" alike. But if you want his best works, check his bands, Fantomas, Mr Bungle, and not forgetting his solo work, and of course who could forget the legendary works of faith no more? check all these and you shall see how very talented a muscian he is and how far he has come since his early FNM days.
I'm looking forward to it. They performed "Mojo" on Conan on Friday and it was great. Mike Patton is the man.
Last edited by slinks at May 29, 2006,
Peeping tom owns, by far the best thing Patton has done since 'california' by Mr. Bungle. When i first heard he was doing a pop album via internet collaborations I was a little (well acttually REALLY) skeptical but after I finished my first listen my face lit up with the biggest **** eating grin and found it was a welcome addition the the Patton catologe. God bless that man.

I see that you're gangster. Im pretty gangster myself.
I love this fucking album it's so fresh, the interesting thing I have noticed about it is that everyone has a different opinion on the album. I have read countless reviews and talked with alot of people about it and everyone seems to have a different favorite track. This is great since this disc is really set for an individual, it's an album that a person will always find some unique reason to like and this is exactly what I like personally I love most of this album ,with tracks like 5 secounds;Neighborhood Spacemen and the "We are not Alone" cover(which is very FNM like).
I also enjoy most of the artist that apear on the disk have been a huge Massive Attack fan for quite some time ,although their track with Patton isnt really as special as I hoped. Anyway I recomend this disc to everyone.
the interesting thing I have noticed about it is that everyone has a different opinion on the album

Thats just Mike Pattons whole thing though, he wants people to have different views upon his music, his albums are all special, to me as a huge patton fan at least. They all have an interest about them, theres always something about a patton album that makes you think about the music, and look deeper into the meanings. on a single album, he can somehow go from dark to colourful, from jazz to metal. Hes a genius how he incorporates different styles of music into a single album, and in some cases a song.

Also everyone has different views upon the album because its basically for everyone, theres something in that album for everyone, apart from people who either ignorant or dislike mike patton for some straaange reason XD. for the 90% of music fans that actually are music fans and not "a music fan for the sake of being cool" or "a music fan because everyone else likes it" its a really excellent album, and i would not recommend it to small minded fellows/ignorant folk lol.