I'm new to tube amps. Should power tubes be COMPLETELY dark, or should there be a slight glow on the inside of them? I know that if they are glowing too much there is a short, but I'm wondering if they are glowing at all if there is a short.
"If you tried to give rock and roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'."
- John Lennon
no, they are supposed to be glowing. It's when they are glowing bright red, and the little metal plates in the tubes are glowing red, then you have a problem.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
does anyone have a picture of an example of a tube glowing irregularly?
"If you tried to give rock and roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'."
- John Lennon
I don't hav a pic, but it will be easy to tell. They should be glowing a healthy orange right now. Sometimes they will have a little blue color, but this doesn't necessarily mean a problem. When they short, they can start arcing, but you should also hear that in the sound while you are playing. As one goes, it can pull down the others, and it can cause them to start glowing bright red. That can also happen if the tubes aren't biased correctly. The red glow I'm talking about will be obvious. The large metal plates inside the tube won't be glowing at all if everything is working correctly. They are easy to see just looking inside the tube. If the metal plates are glowing bright red from heat, there is a problem. Beyond seeing it, you should also notice it in the sound if there is a problem.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
just think of a lightbulb on a fader switch...turn the fader all the way down to where the light is just barely on...

thats what a powertube looks like.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals