Strat-style agathis body, maple bolt-on neck c-shaped neck with a maple fingerboard, 22 medium jumbo frets, three single-coil alnico pickups, five-way switching, with a candy apple red finish?

Putting your personal preferences aside, would this be a good value for someone with a limited budget, or for whatever other reason one could come up with, could you recommend such a rig to a potential buyer?
sounds alot like a squier standard
GEAR:
Gibson Faded V (Dimarzio EVO(B) and GFS Hot Liverpool(N) coiltap in neck)
Squier Mahogany HSS Strat
Squier BSB tele
Bogner 2X12
Vox AD50VT
EPI VJ head
I have a variety of pedals PM if you have to know.

Looking for a new head!
You could do better.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by that1l)ude
Depends On The Brand Name and pickups

Why should the brand name matter? Alnico pick ups, pertty entry level stuff, but what more would you expect for $200?
Brand Name is pretty much says how well itll hold up. a squier even if they are made fun of would be gould enough but i got one for 150 usd with an amp.
Quote by FacingUsAll
You could do better.

Better as in different set up? That could be true, but I'm asking about the set-up I described. I kind of playing devil's advocate here, not really interested in this guitar myself. But if I were someone with only $200 to spend, and this was what I was looking for in body-style, etc., why (or why not) would this be a good or bad choice?
Quote by that1l)ude
Brand Name is pretty much says how well itll hold up. a squier even if they are made fun of would be gould enough but i got one for 150 usd with an amp.

OK, that point is a "given" like buying a $60,000 Benz that is still running strong at 500K as opposed to a Chrysler that will be shaped like a cube before it ever sees 200K (just and analogy, don't want to breech that subject)
I refuse to buy guitars that are made from Agathis .
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by FacingUsAll
I refuse to buy guitars that are made from Agathis .

Is that because of something you've heard, experienced or both? please explain why

I think you could get the same set-up in alder, and for $50 less even. So now I'm talking about all stuff in the set-up described in alder instead of agathis for $150. Good deal or not?
Last edited by mrbreeze at May 23, 2006,
You could do better than that for $200.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Rondomusic.com
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Quote by p2fyre
Try a Yamaha Pacifica 112.. a bit better spec for the same price

That would be an option for the hypothetical buyer, with alder vs. agathis and a humbucker at the bridge if that's what the buyer wanted. Keep in mind that I'm not in the market, just generating some discussion.
Quote by Crunchmeister
You could do better than that for $200.

Give an example please, and why it's better
Quote by mrbreeze
Is that because of something you've heard, experienced or both? please explain why

I think you could get the same set-up in alder, and for $50 less even. So now I'm talking about all stuff in the set-up described in alder instead of agathis for $150. Good deal or not?

I've played plenty of guitars made out of Agathis, and their resonance is usually pretty crappy, and the tone is pretty lifeless.

If the guitar plays well and is solidly built (which is hardly a given) then it'd be a decent buy.

I would check out the Agiles at www.rondomusic.net.
Quote by utsapp89
Agathis is incredibly dead-sounding wood. I know this from experience with many a low-end LTD in stores.

So, for two hundred bucks, you can do a lot better.
Agile, Ibanez, Dean*, and Hamer all make cheap guitars that are better than that.

*Cheap Deans pwn.
Have you ever played an Agile Strat? They seem like a pretty good deal for $80 - $100. BUt why would they be better for so much less money, other than the "no middle man" argument. Maybe they're not really better, only less costly?
Low end Ibanez guitars are good for the money. You can get them for $250.

And yes, rondomusic will give you better guitars for the same, or less money.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
OK, but what makes "same" better, regardless of price? Rememeber, I'm playing devil's advocate here
how can it be better if it's the same? Don't get angry with me, I'm far from being a "noob" and I wouldn't likely buy a $200 (new anyway) guitar for me or for anyone else, unless of course it was all I could afford, as any (most) guitars are better than "no" guitar.

Of course I know that wood comes in different grades and quality, but how is Agile's "alder" any better than any other manufacturer's "alder "?
Quote by Crunchmeister
And yes, rondomusic will give you better guitars for the same, or less money.

This means that you pay the same amount, but get a better guitar. Not vice-versa.
The quality of a guitar consists of more than just its specs. You can have all the best hardware and wood, but if the guitar is put together crappily, it will still be a crappy guitar.

All the Agiles I've played have been solidly built.
Quote by utsapp89
Quote by FacingUsAll
The quality of a guitar consists of more than just its specs. You can have all the best hardware and wood, but if the guitar is put together crappily, it will still be a crappy guitar.

All the Agiles I've played have been solidly built.

I agree wholeheartedly with your first point, but having never played an Agile, I'll likely never know about your second. I'll admit I'm curious about them though, I think they offer a lot of return on your investment dollar. It seems they can keep thier prices down because of several factors, among them being their lack of advertising and marketing costs. So let's forget about Agiles and consider them the exception rather than the rule and concentrate on the manufaturers that are on an even playing field in regard to promotional costs, etc.

Origianl question: Would a guitar with specs described be worth $200?