Hey ppl. long story shot: i have an MG100DFX. i was gonna get a new amp but things have happend and i cant so im gonna get some EMG 81/85's and a pedal or 2.

My guitar is a Epi les paul the guy in the shop said twas a standard but its gold...i did some resurch and i thinks its a '56 goldtop with the pups switched (second hand june '94)

Im looking for a METAL GROWL somewhat like a DS2 but i had that and its kinda to overdrivey BUT it was close. im gonna get some delay pdal and a courus too.

looking for a metallica reminisent distortion

Thanx , u guys rock

PS if i gave one of u guys the serial could u find out the exact model somehow or tell me how ?
DON'T get EMGs. They absolutely will not get the tone you want from that amp. Try something a lot more bassy, like a Super Distortion, D Sonic, or something.
The main problem is your amp. As a bunch of people are going to soon come in here and explain how Marshall MGs suck
I really don't like MG's, they will not give you the metallica type tone your after, i'd prob say save for a new amp if your after heavier distorted sounds.
Last edited by hmmm_de_hum at May 23, 2006,
HELLO I CANT CHANGE MY AMP ITS AN ABSOLUTE NO. belive me i want to i was gonna get an all valve half stack like a tripple recto or something.

PLZ dont start bitching about the MG i know ok

and pup info is much welcomed
^Give us a reason beyond "It's an absolute no"!

Jeez, kid, your amp is your tone, it's gonna take a hell of a lot of modifications to your guitar, and a hell of a lot of pedals, to make it sound like metallica.
Quote by Alex2zulu
HELLO I CANT CHANGE MY AMP ITS AN ABSOLUTE NO. belive me i want to i was gonna get an all valve half stack like a tripple recto or something.

you got an MG over a triple rectifier, yes the recto is a bit overkill, but there is like a £1000 gap between the two?
I would listen to Danno, EMG's aren't going to get the sound you want with that amp. I've owned that amp with EMG's, and it's not going to get you there unfortunately.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
yeah, EMG are good for driving tube amps. Nothing's good for driving Marshall MG's.
I suggest you get a pedal and dial in the FLATTEST possible tone, so most of your tone comes from the pedal.
right , i didnt mean i was gonna get a MG over a recto but i was gonna replace the MG with one.

The "because" is a last minit trip to greese, thats a holiday. and im gonna spend money there. car rental, bars, clubs, quad rental , hotel, "flip flops" *shudder*. WATER PARKS
not to mention lunch. plus man im in college

see my point

so plz just keep the topic clean

i have used valve amps b4, im noot a noob, (noob thing to say but hey).

my point is i would like distortion with a bit of growl not nu metal no low's shiz
thats a point low end

i dont wanna sound like an ass hole or anthing sorry if i do, what about a POD 2.0 ?

EDIT:not in a band so dont need mega clarity at high voloums the MG sutied me fine for my house and the price was a major issue, when i join a band i will get a loan and do a pro rig.

more on pups if u pleaze
Last edited by Alex2zulu at May 23, 2006,
Quote by Danno13
^Give us a reason beyond "It's an absolute no"!

Jeez, kid, your amp is your tone, it's gonna take a hell of a lot of modifications to your guitar, and a hell of a lot of pedals, to make it sound like metallica.

seriously,

it would probably cost more money to buy pedals and modify your guitar than it would to just sell the mg and put something else on layaway.

or try to get like a 10 band eq to run along with the distortion pedal i think mxr makes one.
ma gear

"it's too hard man, don't even try"
-jason becker

"get those flabby fingers in shape"
-rusty cooley
how much do u think a USED MG100 will sell for. ad about £150 on to it and give me a amp pointer for that price
Well, like everyone else has been saying... you aint gonna get a metal 'tallica like growl from an MG but I understand your situation. You have to understand however that an amp is 70% of your sound so it has a biiiig impact.

Cant remember off the top of my head what an Epi LP is made of but if its mahogany, then EMGs will sound pretty decent in it, even through an MG. As for pedals.... well if you get the EMGs they will pretty much do all the metal stuff you need. An EQ pedal would be useful as well as a Tubescreamer if you can afford them.

Dont get a multi-effects processer, they are fun and useful but wont give as good a sound as some individual pedals.

Last thing. About the EMGs.... maybe not an 81/85 set but how about an 81/60? That would give decent metal tones with awesome cleans.

Hope I was slightly helpful
~ My Gear ~

Gibson Les Paul Studio in Alpine White with EMG 81/60
Fender Stratocaster
Marshall DSL401
Boss Metal Zone MT-2
Boss Super Overdrive SD-1
Boss Noise Suppressor NS-2
Digitech RP80
Samson Wireless
Fender Champions Series 30
Quote by Alex2zulu
how much do u think a USED MG100 will sell for. ad about £150 on to it and give me a amp pointer for that price

you could get about $250-300 USD for the amp probably. Add your $300, and you might be able to get a used tube amp. Where are you located, and what kind of stuff do you have available?
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
You could probably get a Roland Cube 60 for $350 new and it'll probably do the tones you want much better than the Marshall (it'll probably even do the Marshall tones better than the Marshall)
We people here (ok, only me) think that the equipment is more important than a holiday.

Youre just asking for the impossible!!

Even if you get the fanciest pedals or multi effects, the mg series speaker WILL NOT release those tones like a 1960 Marshall or Mesa cab.

1)Sell mg now!

2)Go on holiday, have good time

3)Save up!

4)Buy cheap all-valve half stack or combo on ebay e.g 200-500quid or 500-750bucks

5)Be forever happy!
Quote by Frostithe
Well, like everyone else has been saying... you aint gonna get a metal 'tallica like growl from an MG but I understand your situation. You have to understand however that an amp is 70% of your sound so it has a biiiig impact.

Cant remember off the top of my head what an Epi LP is made of but if its mahogany, then EMGs will sound pretty decent in it, even through an MG. As for pedals.... well if you get the EMGs they will pretty much do all the metal stuff you need. An EQ pedal would be useful as well as a Tubescreamer if you can afford them.

Dont get a multi-effects processer, they are fun and useful but wont give as good a sound as some individual pedals.

Last thing. About the EMGs.... maybe not an 81/85 set but how about an 81/60? That would give decent metal tones with awesome cleans.

Hope I was slightly helpful

DUDE UR LIKE JESUS U SAVED ME, u see by point i know waht i should do but cant so i have to make good of what i can.

so the EMG's would work with pedals atleast for a "keep this amp" option
what tuber screemer would u recomend and would it work for only the solos (not to up to date with tube screemers :S)

and how does the 60 differ from the 85 , is it just more distorted or is it more tone or just more bass lol ?

thanx

and its not like i dont understand about the amp and i will get a new one in the future probs at xmas, JCM800 or something or the tripple recto lol. but the point is i wanna get a really fuking god like amp and not just a "oh i can aford that one amp"
so ill wait and just get pedals FOR NOW

thanx again
Ok, Im not to knowledgeable about tubescreamers either but I'll do some research and get back to ya. Remeber though that anything other than a tube amp wont do them full justice but its a good investment and when you do get your recto, it will be awesome

Ok, I found an Ibanez TS7 which will be about $50 (30 pounds) but thats the only one I already knew about. Seems quite good, 5 star customer rating, positive reviews...

The EMG is amazing for cleans. An 81 bridge will do crushing riffs and screaming solos and for those acoustic arpeggios which Metallica do, a EMG 60 in the neck would be awesome.
~ My Gear ~

Gibson Les Paul Studio in Alpine White with EMG 81/60
Fender Stratocaster
Marshall DSL401
Boss Metal Zone MT-2
Boss Super Overdrive SD-1
Boss Noise Suppressor NS-2
Digitech RP80
Samson Wireless
Fender Champions Series 30
Last edited by Frostithe at May 23, 2006,
I understand where you are coming from too, but I've been there man. So you're going to spend at least $200 on EMG's, assuming you can install them yourself, and then you need a couple pedals. A good disto/OD will be at least $50 if it's not junk, and that's a low estimate if you want a good one. Then you're talking EQ pedal, so now you're already up to $300, and not really much closer to the sound you're after at all. That's not even taking into account the delay and chorus you want.

I started with that same exact amp, and did the same exact things you are trying. I upgraded all my guitars, bought tons of pedals and fx, and the MG still sounded mediocre, not the hard driving metal sound I wanted. It was ok at low volumes, but as soon as you tried to turn it up, it sounded like absolute crap. I tried all kinds of pedals, even a $300 Mesa V-Twin overdrive/preamp pedal, and even that couldn't make it sound good. Forget trying to play in any kind of live situation with other instruments. When I would try to use pedals to get my OD, it got even worse, I couldn't cut through the mix at all. I could stand right in front of my amp and barely hear it over drums and another guitar, all I could hear was the nasty fizz that my amp was producing. I finally gave up and got a tube amp, and then realized I should have went that direction from the start. I wasted a lot of money learning my lesson. If I could do it over, I would have just saved my money, and worked on my technique with the gear I had until I could afford the amp I wanted. Just trying to save you from going down the same road I did.
amp clips
amp vids
if your getting a new amp for christmas or sometime, then do this:

buy a boss ge-7
buy either a krank "distortus maximus" or a pro-co "rat"
buy seymour duncan jb or an emg 81/85 set.

it's still going to sound like **** through an mg, but it should hold you over at least until you get a real amp.
ma gear

"it's too hard man, don't even try"
-jason becker

"get those flabby fingers in shape"
-rusty cooley