Just a question for those of you out there.. does the string size effect the "chuggin" sound when strumming alternate picking in fast songs? such as metal, like as I lay dying and it dies today. A friend of mine told me, "your strings are thin" and I havent changed them since I baught them, just wondering if a thicker size to play the chuggin sound when alternating quickly help? If so which size's do you recommend?

Thanks,
thicker strings are more used for downtuning than the noise they make.....if you are downtuning with thin strings, youll get a very weak sound...so thicker strings may help

EDIT: try using 10's or 11's
i play metal like death, children of bodom, and vital remains and i use a .56 gague as the low string. i find it helps alot becauses in the drop tunings the strings don't feel loose and rattle on the frets.
yea currently im in Drop C, thats what I usually leave it always on this guitar, so you recommend thicker strings?
it does effect sound, as string size gets larger the depth of the sound will get lower and more chuggish, i would reccomend 11s but you may need to get your truss rod adjusted before going up to that gauge
im not really the guitar tech, but I will take my guitar into the shop totay and ask them all about it, but having some knowledge right now would help. But ya, I guess I should run in shortly but ill wait for my input .. but I read some where that thicker the strings the tougher the bends, pulling off and tapping is harder, would 11's, effect much of my technique? anyways, whats 11 stand for anyways dumb question eh, haha
Yes... 10's or 11's. Also, set the arm up for that tunning or it'll warp.

EDIT: Yes, the larger the guage, the harder it is to bend. I know that from experience... hammer ons, pull offs and tapping didn't seem to get affected anyway.

The number stands for the lowest string's guage. The higher the number, the thicker the strings.
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.
Last edited by jmag at May 23, 2006,
You may even wanna try some skinny top heavy bottom strings by ernie ball.......heavy gauge strings for the bass strngs, and very light ones for the higher strings....so you can still get them massive bends off too
Would it cost anything for them to set the arm down for that tuning?
11 is the gauge of the small E string (im pretty sure) but it will be labeled on a pack of strings, but it does take time getting use to the thickness of the strings but after a while you get it and it becomes a breeze
^Small? What do you mean? In his case, it'd be the guage for the low C, since he has it in drop C.

It should cost you around 25-30?, strings included.
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.
yea i recommend the skinny top heavy bottom by ernie ball, i use them for drop C and they just rule, you have soo much control over the bass strings, but the manuverability on your treble strings, and they're easy to solo with
Quote by jmag
Yes... 10's or 11's. Also, set the arm up for that tunning or it'll warp.

EDIT: Yes, the larger the guage, the harder it is to bend. I know that from experience... hammer ons, pull offs and tapping didn't seem to get affected anyway.

The number stands for the lowest string's guage. The higher the number, the thicker the strings.

totally irrevalnt to the thread...but your avatar...KICKS ASS...
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Because when I was younger I would wrap dollar bills around my wang while masturbating to get that extra dirty feeling.

Even though I quit doing it, it still turns me on when I see money.

Http://magnumman.dmusic.com
damn this forum is decent for advice and help, reason why I come here. Anyways, im gonna header out and pick up some heavier strings and hopefully my chuggin improves,.. the thin ones rattle and sometime the way I chuggin I pinch harmonic some strings, how annoying and angervating
Quote by jb203
metal, like as I lay dying and it dies today

*bites tongue*

*HARD*

You really just need higher gauge on the E and A strings for better chug.