I'm in the market for an OD pedal.

I've got a Gibson GA-15RV. Hella great clean tone amp with a huge amount of headroom, but when I wanna do some overdriven stuff, it gets rather difficult.

So I've had my eyes on a few,

Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde (sounded good and versatile)

AC Booster (heard soundclips...sounded very good)

Ibanez Tube Screamer (played one, twas good)

The OD pedal must be true hard-wired bypass, if any of the ones I just posted above arn't, tell me so I can knock'em off the list.

I'm all ears for other suggestions. Also note that it is very hard for me to try out equpiment as most shops near me hold very little selection when it comes to guitar stuff, so any sound clips would be appreciated.
Last edited by Erc at May 23, 2006,
you should try a boss sd-1 or a od-3.......they arent true bypass but you could sort that out my modding it
It shouldnt matter to you how the mechanics are. It should matter how it sounds. Stop being a picky little child and just go with one.
Quote by Autumn Shadows
It shouldnt matter to you how the mechanics are. It should matter how it sounds. Stop being a picky little child and just go with one.

he probably doesnt want his tone sucked up by a pedal that isnt true-bypass...............hes a smart thinker

I didn't ask for ignorant dip**** answers.

When something isn't true hard-wired bypass it degrades your signal. Meaning even when the pedal is off, it effects the signal. The amp I have is very sensative to the original signal (good thing btw!) and I don't want a cheap pedal to **** it up.
id have to say that a ts808 or a ts9 tubescreemer would be a great overdrive. they are good for modding too. i have one and it sounds awesome. it pulls off the tube overdrive sound very convinceingly. if your on a tight budget you could go with a bod 202 preamp overdrive. they sound pretty good and are very cheep. all of these are true bypass and the tubescreemers have a switch that is allways hot so it doesnt pop when you turn it on.
my 2 favorite OD's right now are the AC booster, and a Keeley modded OD808. The true bypass mod on the 808 is pretty easy with a 3PDT switch, That Pink Queen has the mod listed on his site.
http://www.stompboxmods.com/

The AC booster has a lot of gain if you want it, but it can quiet right down to nearly a clean booster if you want. What made you choose the RC over the AC, just curious.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
^ Typo, I ment to put AC booster ^_^, though I've been looking to get a RC booster someday (but its not on the top priority list, infact its rather low on the list.)

BTW Thanks for the suggestions guys =)
ic, that makes sense. The RC seems like mostly a clean booster with less OD but I have to say clips sounded kickass. I'm eventually going to pick one up, that or a Keeley Java boost.

I own an AC, and it's a really great pedal. It's one of the few OD's I've tried that doesn't really have a harsh spot, it sounds good on just about every setting I've tried. You can dial down the gain for a tone tightener, and it has a little more bass response than a TS on simliar settings. On a clean channel, you can dial in a slightly edgy blues tone, all the way to full out distortion.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids