i need to know the basics of makeing a bass line to a song that will go with the guitar riff. ive never done this before really and my bass player doesnt have too much time so i have to wright all of the bass lines too. so if you know any good methods to make a bass line please share them.
Follow the guitar and add little fills here and there. It's nothing special, but it gets the job done.
I AM MASTER OF JIGGLYPUFF.

Current Gear:
Gibson Boneyard with Bigsby
Gibson 93' Explorer W/Nailbombs
G&L 93' Legacy W/Noiseless
Gibson 95' Doublecut W/Angus Bridge

Mesa Stiletto Trident
Bogner Shiva
Mesa 2x12 & 4x12 Cabs
Recently, I've been thinking about playing harmonies of the chords. I write a lot of bass notes using 3rds. (well, I dobn't write the notes, but you know what I'm talking about!)

If you use a chord extension, like a minor third or seventh, that's also something to think about.

I'll use the intro to one of my songs ("A tribute to Dee Dee Ramone")as a quick example.

The bass plays:

|G:--------------------------------------------|
|D:--------------------------------------------|
|A:--------------------11-11-13-11-11-11-13-11-|
|E:--14 14 14 14 14~~~-------------------------|

The guitar comes in after two bars, playing this:

|E:---------------------------------------|
|B:---------------------------------------|
|G:----11-r-------------------------------|
|D:----11-r-------------------------------|
|A:-99--9-r----11-11-13-11-11-11-13-11----|
|E:-------------9--9--9--9--9--9--9--9----|
    du  d~~~~~  u

I think that maybe it works really well, because when the guitar comes in it throws the listener, who expects something based around G# rather than C#.

Then, after another four bars, just when the listener has realised what's going on, something else unexpected happens. But that's another story...

I laugh in the face of anyone who disagrees that sometimes the simplest ideas are the most effective.