I was browsing through the forums and i noticed there was nothing posted about ben gibbard. He's my favourite musician, and i don't know if anybody knows, but he's the lead singer/guitarist for "Death Cab For Cutie" and "Postal Service".

What do you think about them (or him)?

If you haven't heard of him or the bands, then i suggest trying it, it's quite calm and mellow, but the lyrics and guitar are awesome!!! Typical indie i would say.
There's always another side to the story!
I have the Postal Service album Give Up, and it's pretty good, but I'm sorry, I have to say this, it bores me quite quickly (sorry Jon!), good for a listen, but after a few it's just like bleh.

DCFC are much better IMO, though I'm still needing one or two of their albums... My faovurite is probably We Have The Facts...
Quote by Kensai
Maybe you've heard what the ladies say: "Once you go 77mm you don't go back"
Quote by jallas
I have the Postal Service album Give Up, and it's pretty good, but I'm sorry, I have to say this, it bores me quite quickly (sorry Jon!), good for a listen, but after a few it's just like bleh.

DCFC are much better IMO, though I'm still needing one or two of their albums... My faovurite is probably We Have The Facts...

BURN

ahahaha im kiddimg

love ben, love postal service, love death cab

he's one of my idols.
death cab is awesome. the photo album is one of my favourite albums ever.-
the heart is a risky fuel to burn
yea he's awesome. love death cab (seeing em in july omfg ), postal service, all-time quarterback... basically everything he touches turns to gold imo such a lovely voice

unluCKY...
from daylight...
...into darkness
HOO IZ DEF CAB 4 COOTIE?ss?s?sadd?!?!!?!?fdd!?1.

but seriously now, i like them both even if they are corporate whores and major label sellouts and like every other insult ever. probably going to see death cab next month. should be fun.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Last edited by Gurgle!Argh! at May 23, 2006,
Quote by j0nmcc
ahhh shut up matt, hypocrite...

you went to a gig of his in march

haha, i was only joking .
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
You're trying to tell me that you searched and you didn't find a Death cab OR a Postal Service thread in the Indie forum?

Bull****.
Quote by Aka55
You're trying to tell me that you searched and you didn't find a Death cab OR a Postal Service thread in the Indie forum?

Bull****.

eric, im leaving it for a while

the old death cab thread hasnt been posted in for a while

if andrew wants to close it, then that's cool
The lucky bastard went out with Jenny Lewis!

I love transatlanticism. I've listened to it at least 10 times. Can you guys recommend me an album as close to trans as possible? I didn't like Plans very much, but I haven't listened to it properly.
ben's my idol, you don't like the voice/music, read the lyrics, all of them are ****ing beautiful, regardless of your taste in music the man is an amazing poet, but i love tps all-time quarter back and death cab, and no-one seemed to mention this but he played bass for pedro the lion fyi

<3
Sheep

p.s. thanks for anyone that posted a tab for any of his music, it was MUCH appreciated by myself
Quote by chibiROBOT
but he's the lead singer/guitarist for "Death Cab For Cutie" and "Postal Service".

He's also known as All-Time Quarterback. Check it out.

http://www.barsuk.com/bands/alltimequarterback
There once was a man who really loved salt
So he tied his nose to the sea
And then God came down from his silver throne
And said, 'Honey, that water ain't free
I'm with Alice on both points she made (about p.s. and best album).
He was also in the Cash Money Bros. but they only did a couple of shows.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
ben gibbard is so good, he sexually arouses my eardrums with his music.
i am member no. 3 of the 'coheed and cambria fan club' interested? pm CoheedANDnofx6.

"I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it"
-Mitch Hedberg
Not sure if it was a better idea to resurrect a dead thread, or start a new one. But I guess this one is established so I'll add this here.

For those of you who are as obsessed with Ben as I am, he released his debut solo album yesterday, "Former Lives." I'm listening to it right now, I really like some of the songs. I'm sure the rest will grow on me.

He's also going on a tour that I've got ticekts to when he comes to town.

If you don't have the album yet, go pick it up!
so is he done making happy music since he separated with that oh so cute and indie chick? if so i might check it out.
Quote by turncoat60%
so is he done making happy music since he separated with that oh so cute and indie chick? if so i might check it out.

Nah, what I've heard of it is pretty upbeat. There's some fairly interesting stuff, but nothing special really. I too thought he might go back to making depressing stuff but alas no. As far as I'm concerned I'm done following DCFC/Gibbard, everything new they do is a disappointment. I'll just stick to listening to the first 3 albums, maybe the occasional spin of trans or plans.
Quote by punkforlife93
^Not The Photo Album though? Weird, that and Transatlanticism are my favorites of theirs. Most of their stuff after that is mediocre.

the photo album is their third
it's tied for favourite along with we have the facts

transatlanticism is perfect, but like, almost too perfect. could only go downhill from there.
Last edited by korinaflyingv at Oct 18, 2012,
Quote by korinaflyingv
the photo album is their third
it's tied for favourite along with we have the facts

transatlanticism is perfect, but like, almost too perfect. could only go downhill from there.

I was counting it as their fourth, but their first and second are pretty much the same songs so I can see why you'd count them as one.
Quote by punkforlife93
I was counting it as their fourth, but their first and second are pretty much the same songs so I can see why you'd count them as one.

Yeah you can play these songs is more of a compilation
Quote by rockfan7
But Narrow Stairs is so good

It definitely has its moments but there's also a fair amount of what I'd consider to be filler. It does have the best production of any of their recent albums though.
The only track I'd skip is Pity And Fear really Codes And Keys wasn't that bad, Home Is A Fire and You're A Tourist are pretty dece, nothing really seemed uninspired, just not anything very impacting.
i rarely listen to dcfc anymore but when i do its either trans or just random tracks from their other albums, including codes and keys. they have some great tracks on all of their albums, but other than trans, i find all of their albums have alot of bland and forgettable tracks.

Quote by korinaflyingv
Nah, what I've heard of it is pretty upbeat. There's some fairly interesting stuff, but nothing special really. I too thought he might go back to making depressing stuff but alas no. As far as I'm concerned I'm done following DCFC/Gibbard, everything new they do is a disappointment. I'll just stick to listening to the first 3 albums, maybe the occasional spin of trans or plans.

yeah i listened to a couple off his newest and its pretty much what i expected. disappointing but at the same time predictable.
I barely ever listen to death cab but "we've got the facts and we're voting yes" is a pretty solid album.
Quote by turncoat60%
they have some great tracks on all of their albums, but other than trans, i find all of their albums have alot of bland and forgettable tracks.

I wish I could still enjoy trans more than like once a year, too many memories attached to it though, just makes me depressed about shit that happened 4 years ago lol.
^that was great. ill have to check them out.

Quote by korinaflyingv
I wish I could still enjoy trans more than like once a year, too many memories attached to it though, just makes me depressed about shit that happened 4 years ago lol.

oh, i know that feel lol
I'm really diggin' the Ben's new solo album... Ichiro's theme? Yes.
Royals
Mizzou
Chiefs
Amen
Quote by turncoat60%
^that was great. ill have to check them out.

It's funny that you guys all feel this way about transatlanticism, because the song I posted regularly brings back some memories in that vein...
Just went to his solo show in Chicago on Friday. Had a great time! He played lots of different music. Some stuff off the new album, some Death Cab, Postal Service, songs off other albums he's contributed to and some covers. He was pretty funny and personable too, much more crown interaction then when I've seen Death Cab. If he's coming to your town on this tour, definitely check it out!