I have decided today that I would like to start recording. I have read posts on this messageboard that have helped me quite alot but theres still somethings I am unsure about. Take into account that I will only be recording guitar and possibly a bit of bass and I'm lookin at buying the Line 6 Toneport...

1. Will I beable to record using my Peavey 5150 amp without a microphone or isnt it possible?

2. If I can record without using a microphone will the quality of the recording still be good?

3. Is the software any good, will it be possible to have as many tracks as you want and does it have good effects?

Hopefully you can answer my questions, especially about the amp issue.

Thx
Quote by face_the_fear
I have decided today that I would like to start recording. I have read posts on this messageboard that have helped me quite alot but theres still somethings I am unsure about. Take into account that I will only be recording guitar and possibly a bit of bass and I'm lookin at buying the Line 6 Toneport...

1. Will I beable to record using my Peavey 5150 amp without a microphone or isnt it possible?

2. If I can record without using a microphone will the quality of the recording still be good?

3. Is the software any good, will it be possible to have as many tracks as you want and does it have good effects?

Hopefully you can answer my questions, especially about the amp issue.

Thx

Alright dude,

I recently asked just about the same question (and i am about to go and check any replies that i might have had) but from what i gather the software is a bit crap.

You should be able to plug your amp in via headphone or (if you have one) an auxillary plug on the back of your amp.

Sorry if i haven't answered what you were looking for.

Ash
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
I dont have an headphone or auxillary output but I have external speaker which Im assuming would the same thing as an headphone jack. Thanks anyway...

All as I need to know now is what will the quality be like without using a microphone if anyone can help.
Quote by face_the_fear
I dont have an headphone or auxillary output but I have external speaker which Im assuming would the same thing as an headphone jack. Thanks anyway...

All as I need to know now is what will the quality be like without using a microphone if anyone can help.

Are you recording electric, acoustic, bass, vocals?

Ash
Main Gear:

PRS CE22 Mahogany
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
EHX SMMwH
Yes you can record ur amp without ur mic (I believe) but I can't tell you how because im not entirely sure. What I can tell u is that the effects are awsome. Also, the recording program ableton live is good, it just gets really confusing at first, make sure u run through the tutorials or even call them to take u through it step by step. Without the mic u have nothing to worry about, the recording will sound great. Good Luck

Steve
Member #5 of the I <3 Schecter's Club-PM Schecter-06 to join
"Member of the Guitarists that wished they could sing because they would make fantastic frontmen club"-Pm Davidian to join
Quote by Guitaraphone06
Yes you can record ur amp without ur mic (I believe) but I can't tell you how because im not entirely sure. What I can tell u is that the effects are awsome. Also, the recording program ableton live is good, it just gets really confusing at first, make sure u run through the tutorials or even call them to take u through it step by step. Without the mic u have nothing to worry about, the recording will sound great. Good Luck

Steve

Would it be better getting the UX1 or the UX2?

Ash
Main Gear:

PRS CE22 Mahogany
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
EHX SMMwH
Check ur thread I put the answer there
"Member of the Guitarists that wished they could sing because they would make fantastic frontmen club"-Pm Davidian to join
i dont think you can use the external speaker out for recording. i asked about it one time in GG&A and got mixed responses. some said it is possible, but other people said that since you arent pushing speakers it might damage the amp and fry your soundcard. i decided not to try it, but it might work. doesnt seem worth the risk to me tho. if you dont have a line out or headphone out, i would think micing it would be a much better idea. i mean, you have a nice amp, why would you want to bypass any part of that sound? there are ways to record guitar without a mic, but frankly they dont sound as good. if the issue is cost, maybe get the toneport now and run DI for now while saving for a mic. then get a nice mic later when you can. im just a little cautious about recording with the speaker out, it worries me as to what could happen.
Quote by jof1029
i dont think you can use the external speaker out for recording. i asked about it one time in GG&A and got mixed responses. some said it is possible, but other people said that since you arent pushing speakers it might damage the amp and fry your soundcard. i decided not to try it, but it might work. doesnt seem worth the risk to me tho. if you dont have a line out or headphone out, i would think micing it would be a much better idea. i mean, you have a nice amp, why would you want to bypass any part of that sound? there are ways to record guitar without a mic, but frankly they dont sound as good. if the issue is cost, maybe get the toneport now and run DI for now while saving for a mic. then get a nice mic later when you can. im just a little cautious about recording with the speaker out, it worries me as to what could happen.

thanks for that info...

I heard the Shure Sm57 is a good mic so I will most probably buy that when I can but I will have a look around. The Sm57 must be a good mic though because they use it in one of the recording studios at my college, but the recording room it is in is the worst one they have. HMMM
Recording room? Do u happen to go to College of Saint Rose? They were tellin me about their recording studios....
Nah... I don't know where you are from but I live in Nottingham, UK and its a college there.

Supposedly they have the best everything when it comes to performing arts. i'm doing a music course there. The practice rooms are OK but there not amazing (and they always smell). The recording studios though are amazing, Very professional. As a music student I can use them for free by booking them out but I'm no good with recording equipment so a sound engineer has to be free at the time you want it.
It should, just set the Cubase preferences , the input as the Toneport and i think ur good. I've never worked with Cubase but I am assuming this because I did it with audacity. I just set the input as Toneport and It picked it up.
I will have to try it out...

Will I still get the cool effects though or is that only with the program you get with Toneport
Actually the effects program that comes with the Toneport is a seperate Cd and installation. I have been able to use that (its called Gear Box) with audacity. If u just set the Toneport as ur line in it will pick it up and the effects too. Again, I haven't worked with Cubase but this worked for me through audacity.
By seperate I meant its not tied to the recording software, it can be used without it
Ahh I see.

Well I will just have to try it out. I have Purchased one off of Ebay and I should get it on Thursday
did u buy it from proaudio777? I got mine from him lol. Good deal