I was told that growing out your fingernails on one hand helps your fingerpicking (for classical nylon stuff). Is this true?
Quote by NGD1313
Well I don't know about solos but how about that Smoke on the Water riff. It's like...impossible.

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

I'm Jake. I'm a musician, philosopher, and exhibitionist.
Its sort of true. Many classical players grow their finger nails of thier picking hand out because when the nail is used to pick the string it gives a different tone than the finger does. Many prefer this tone over that of "not having nails". I consider it an opinion thing, and if you're thinking about getting into classical, try it!

I have my middle and ring finger nail long for my style of rock n' roll, why would i only use one pick if i can have three at once? I leave the index nail short for tapping, and becuase it is annoying because there is a large risk of breaking that nail due to using that finger so much.

edit: I also have them long because I do play lots of finger style music, and lots of classical stuff too
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour
If you're a classical player it's essential, some things need nails to get the sound. Orthodox, proper classical players need nails.
(...Check my user title.. haha)
Quote by Hovertruck
You guys are forgetting the most important part of sounding like Alexi.
Yao Yao
I play bass (which needs minimal nail) and classical and electric with tapping etc. I have a small amount of nail (about 5mm) on each and a about 1cm of nail on the thumb. I actually find too much nail restrictive for classical (but the tone is better)
Quote by Mahavishnu80
I play bass (which needs minimal nail) and classical and electric with tapping etc. I have a small amount of nail (about 5mm) on each and a about 1cm of nail on the thumb. I actually find too much nail restrictive for classical (but the tone is better)

1 cm is really long...

And yes, to play classical music properly you need nails. It will be louder, more crisp, and easier to play.
I manage to keep my nails about 4mm long for classical and fingerstyle folk/country.

1 cm does seem really, really long.