should I use 4 ohms or 8 ohms when recording? I'm guessing 8 would work for a tighter sound.
If you burp, fart, and sneeze at the same time; you will die.
The amount of ohms do not change the sound. You should use the amount of ohms that the cabinet needs. 8 ohms is not better than 16 or 4 ohms and vice versa.
yeah, impedance should depend on what your amp needs. However, a safe mismatch, such as running an 8ohm cab on a 4ohm amp setting, can produce a slightly darker tone with less output and attack. I've never heard about it making it tighter though.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
yeah, impedance should depend on what your amp needs. However, a safe mismatch, such as running an 8ohm cab on a 4ohm amp setting, can produce a slightly darker tone with less output and attack. I've never heard about it making it tighter though.

If you put an 8 ohm cab on a 4 ohm head, it will also cut the amps power by about 1/2. So try and match it up.
so why would u ever need the choice of 2 different impedance levels? i have a peavey classic 50 with an 8 ohm output and a 16 ohm output. which one should i use?
...and when you lose control, you'll reap the harvest you have sown...
Floyd 4 Life
so you can use different impedance cabs with it. Cab impedance depends on what speakers they used, and how they wired the cab.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids