Me and my friends started a band recently, and I need some help. Our vocalist is a pretty good song writer, he can write a complete song during math class that actually sounds really nice. The problem is, we aren't sure if he's a good singer. Me and Sean, the bassist, don't really have an ear for vocalists...from what I can tell he sounds okay. But our keyboardist, who has been playing for nine years and took theory, says John(singer) has an ok voice but absolutely no vocal range. What should we do? Thanks for any advise.
Raoul Duke: There's a uh, big machine in the sky, some kind of, I dunno, electric snake, coming straight at us.

Dr. Gonzo: Shoot it.

Raoul Duke: Not yet, I want to study its habits.
It's up to you. If he sounds good, he sounds good, no matter what his range is like. I have a pretty big range and I tend to use all of it, but some bands (Godsmack, Green Day, etc...) don't need a vocalist with Chris Cornell's range. It's all a matter of opinion.
my band is here ------> myspace.com/weareattica
He could do things with quility singers, I mean chorus may be a little gay, but there are people and lessons (local community college may offer courses... or church choirs, anything).. The thing is, you want him to sing some stuff he wouldn't normally be singing.. I took a class at school where i had to sing Italian Opera (nothing crazy or hard, but you have to open your mind in a more musical way, singing note for note instead of how normally people sing pitch-word... like you know the word is sung that way.. instead of singing it as a note with a defining sound)
Archdeacon of the Church of Zeppelinism
PM TheHeartbreaker to join

Highway One Telecaster (Upgrade)
Laney 30 Watt Combo
Boss ME-50 FX

horazonblade, you are one of the reasonable/intelligent people on this forum... - JewMasatFlex
depends, what styles of music do you play, i mean he doesnt have to have the range of freddie mercury to be good,look at david lee roth for example he does not have the greatest range but hes still amazing (in my opinion )
Quote by R_H_C_P
You're joking right?

It's like comparing sex to sticking your penis in a blender.

Quote by thetearsibleed
depends, what styles of music do you play, i mean he doesnt have to have the range of freddie mercury to be good,look at david lee roth for example he does not have the greatest range but hes still amazing (in my opinion )

We play pretty much everything. We play some Beck and Pixies songs, but we've also jammed to some classic country(Billie Joe Shaver, Johnny Cash) and metal, but I usually do the screaming and whatnot.
Raoul Duke: There's a uh, big machine in the sky, some kind of, I dunno, electric snake, coming straight at us.

Dr. Gonzo: Shoot it.

Raoul Duke: Not yet, I want to study its habits.
Something about keyboard players man. They have this ear that I will never possess. My keyboard player is the same way, he has this ear for melody that I just can't do. For me, I trust him and that's part of what he adds to the band. But it's really up to you, not all singers have really wide ranges, and if he sounds good, you'll do fine.
Oh ho, everyday is an adventure
Quote by just some guy
It's up to you. If he sounds good, he sounds good, no matter what his range is like. I have a pretty big range and I tend to use all of it, but some bands (Godsmack, Green Day, etc...) don't need a vocalist with Chris Cornell's range. It's all a matter of opinion.

I agre with this guy. If your vocalist is good enough to write songs in math class and they're good, keep 'em. you rnot going to get anyone better

James
Quote by GeordinVishell
Me and my friends started a band recently, and I need some help. Our vocalist is a pretty good song writer, he can write a complete song during math class that actually sounds really nice. The problem is, we aren't sure if he's a good singer. Me and Sean, the bassist, don't really have an ear for vocalists...from what I can tell he sounds okay. But our keyboardist, who has been playing for nine years and took theory, says John(singer) has an ok voice but absolutely no vocal range. What should we do? Thanks for any advise.

A vocalist is one of the most important parts of a band. So get outside views on his voice. Record you guys playing songs, see if he suits the band.
If he isn't a good vocalist,but still a great songwriter,see if he'll take up an instrument (rythym guitar?). That way you can still have his songwriting,but have a much better voice.
When your body's tired, exercise your mind.
Quote by TimiHendrex33
If he isn't a good vocalist,but still a great songwriter,see if he'll take up an instrument (rythym guitar?). That way you can still have his songwriting,but have a much better voice.

Singer's tend to be pretty set wanting to do vocals though. No shame in asking the guy, but I wouldn't expect too much to happen.
Oh ho, everyday is an adventure