alright, I've been having a dispute with my friend about what is really considered an acoustic guitar. He says that a hollowbodied guitar is an acoustic guitar. I say not. So how do we go about in classifying a hollowbody? Is it an electric guitar or acoustic guitar?
Acoustic Guitars were merely called guitars until the advent of the electric guitar. The general definition is any guitar that doesn't need to be amplified to produce a good degree of noise (i'm sure there's a decible rating somewhere) is an acoustic guitar.
^-- that should be a new thread.... you may not have been trying to take his thread but that's what you did

threadstarter: i don't really know what the technical definition of an acoustic guitar is myself. i'll be very interested to hear it though! good question!
An Acoustic Guitar is any guitar that has steel strings (A nylon string guitar would be classified as a "Classical Guitar") and does not use digitial amplification (generally via "pickups") to amplify sound.
so does that mean an acoustic guitar with a pickup installed isn't an acoustic guitar anymore?

and what about my electro-classical guitar I have? it has nylon strings and a pickup on it

I'm mostly wondering what a hollowbody is classified as. This question boggles my mind!
This is right up there with "what is a douche bag?" Its that person at the club you see wearing the sunglasses at night. He doesn't need them on so why is he wearing them?? Same with a guitar. If it has electroinics on it and doesn't need to be plugged in to produce sound then why does it have it. But the guitar can get away with this without being called negative names. Its just simply called acoustic/electric. So basically if you have a guitar that is hollow with no electronics its just your basic acoustic. If it has electronics and needs those electronics to be heard (properly) then it is an electric. Most of the time (actually probably 100% of the time) these are solid body, slim guitars.
A hollow bodied guitar is an acoustic guitar. Fullstop. ... <- see? thats a fullstop... or 4

The premise of an acoustic guitar is that it has natural amplification. A hollow bodied guitar has natural amplification.
Yes, an eletric guitar can be played unplugged, but NO natural amplification is used at all.
The bloke who spoke about decibles is off of his mo-fo head If any guitar has any form of natural amplification, it can be consided an acoustic guitar.
Which answers the other question, even if your acoustic has a pick up in it, it is still an acoustic. Even if it is played through an amp, it doesnt change what the guitar actually is, it just changes how its used. *sigh*

NATURAL AMPLIFICATION = ACOUSTIC...
Quote by Truth Assassin
This is what's wrong with our society today, people can't enjoy a good waste of time when they're given it.
Quote by Me2NiK
An Acoustic Guitar is any guitar that has steel strings (A nylon string guitar would be classified as a "Classical Guitar") and does not use digitial amplification (generally via "pickups") to amplify sound.

Actually, there are a number of nylon-stringed guitars that are not classical guitars in any sense of the word, and standard classical guitars are by definition also acoustic guitars...nothing about "acoustic guitar" implies steel strings.

To quote a common definition:

"In acoustic guitars, string vibration is transmitted through the bridge and saddle to the sound board. The sound board, typically made of a light springy wood such as spruce, vibrates the air, producing sound which is further shaped by the guitar body's resonant cavity."
Last edited by reholli at May 24, 2006,
This is completely off-topic, but I didn't want to make a new thread about it so I'll ask here

What brand/model were those acoustic guitars on the Metallica studio clip with Lars and Robert? They looked weird.
Quote by Chips-
This is completely off-topic, but I didn't want to make a new thread about it so I'll ask here

What brand/model were those acoustic guitars on the Metallica studio clip with Lars and Robert? They looked weird.

Usually James uses a martin, and he has a martin with a resonator in it too. I don't konw what clip you are talking about so i can't really help you.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
post a link to the clip if you can... you can probably find it on youtube or google video
I tried to find it but no go.. I'll describe it a little better. In the video, Lars was wearing a robe and talking about what they were doing at the moment. Robert had an acoustic on his lap. I think it was a jumbo-body guitar and the strings were longer than normal. By that I mean they went from the bridge to the 'lower bout' into these holes. Something like this:

And no, this is not exactly like the guitar in the video, the body shape is similar. And it looks nice

Last edited by Chips- at May 25, 2006,
So we all're dealing with a through-body setup single-cut Dreadnought...

Strange.
Posers are like punks, except they do it for fashion

notUG PUNK FORUM PRESIDENT!