I've searched relentlessly on these forums, google, and everywhere else and haven't figured this out. I came across a track on someone's computer a long time ago that was called "Jimi Hendrix - Angel (Acoustic)" I took it and loved it. I have his first three albums and came across this song recently again and decided that will be my next Jimi album. But the problem is I can't figure out what album it's on! I looked everywhere and could not find the acoustic version, only the electric version. So is this on any commercial album I can buy? Also, I could not find a good tab for it, does anyone know of one? Why I'm at it, there are alot of "definitive" tab sites, such as www.dmbtabs.com, is there any one of these for Hendrix? Thanks

Bry
Theres some kind of acoustic demo tape Hendrix once recorded in his apartement on a 4 track, only a couple of songs. I've got it, found it on the internet somewhere.

I've tabbed out one of the jams he does with himself. One day I plan to tab out the version of Angel on there
Hey, I don't know the album you're looking for BUT! one of the chefs where I work was telling me about this Hendrix album he found in his closet that he said he's never seen before. Its all white with Jimi sitting of a stool with an acoustic 12 string, with no title on it or anything. So my point is : it could be on there, if anyone knows what I'm talking about

edit: seljer, is angel one of them?
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour
tracklist of the thing (I have it labelled as 1968 apartment tapes):

1983...A merman should I be
Angel
Cherokee Jam
Hear My Train A comin'
Voodoo Chile/Cherokee Mist
Gypsy Eyes

link to a flac version of the thing: http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/255746/?show_files=1&page=1&ref=1148419436#file_list
(if you've got a demonoid account...I think I got it from some other torrent site quiet a while ago)

his guitar is like 3/4 of a halfstep out of tune as well
Last edited by seljer at May 23, 2006,
Thanks seljer, you seriously have to be one of the most consistantly helpful people on UG
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour
Thanks for all the speedy replies! I'm downloading it now, but it's a shame it never made it to final production. Do they even have a tab book for these sessions? Or am I on my own?

Bry
I probably sound like a noob, but how do I listen to those files? What program?
Member #1 of the Mars Volta club. Pm happytimeharry to join
Well it appears there are no tabs, therefore I'm going to make my own. The one I found was way off and you are right seljer, the guitar is about 3/4 step down. It took me a while to tune to the song (I have the worst ears) but I got my acoustic in the tuning and started tabbing out the intro. I'll post it in the tab section when I'm done and maybe people can correct it before it's final submission. We should tab all these lost songs out so others can appreciate them like Jimi's other work! Thanks again for the help, it will be under Angel (Acoustic) in the section but it may take me a couple days (I got alot of **** I have to do).

Bry
I tabbed an Angel Tab on this site a while back, but its not the acoustic one, although i'm pretty sure they're probably played exactly the same.
Quote by CornLord
Derigiberble would win in a fight against any UGer, n00b or not, just because most people on the site can't help but love him/her.

Get, Get, Get, Get, Get Out And Push.
Quote by ncsurfer
I probably sound like a noob, but how do I listen to those files? What program?

FLAC lossless audio

http://flac.sourceforge.net/

I think theres some kind of plugin for winamp that comes with the windows installer

edit: in one of the tracks you can hear the phone ringing
Last edited by seljer at May 24, 2006,
^ Yeah I noticed that hahaha.

As for the regular version of Angel, they're very different. Intro's different, rhythm is similar but has differences, theres no solo at the end, and as stated before, the tuning is much lower. I'm sure I'll find other differences as I continue to tab it out. I have the intro done right now.

Bry
Just to mention. I've allready tabbed out half of the thing in Power Tab. I'll try to finish it tommorow
Last edited by seljer at May 24, 2006,
Hate to sound like a nudge, but does anyone know of an mp3 download of that version? For some reason the flac download isn't working for me.
Phish Phan
DeadHead
Moe.ron
If there's a jam out there, I'm probably listening to it.

Check out the Bodatious Banana Extravaganza: http://myspace.com/bbeboston
Quote by seljer
FLAC lossless audio

http://flac.sourceforge.net/

I think theres some kind of plugin for winamp that comes with the windows installer

edit: in one of the tracks you can hear the phone ringing

thought he was talking about power tab files.... silly me
Quote by seljer
Just to mention. I've allready tabbed out half of the thing in Power Tab. I'll try to finish it tommorow

Damn you and your ears! Haha. This will pretty much be my first tab(I'm pretty much tone deaf), and after a day I'm about 1 minute in, but I had to work today so hopefully tommorow I'll have time to lay into it and finish it out. PM me yours when your done and I'll do the same if you want to compare

Bry
First Rays of the New Rising Sun, a double album Hendrix was working on when he died. The studio version's on that album but i found the acoustic one too and couldn't find it's source
Quote by iain4444
Hey, I don't know the album you're looking for BUT! one of the chefs where I work was telling me about this Hendrix album he found in his closet that he said he's never seen before. Its all white with Jimi sitting of a stool with an acoustic 12 string, with no title on it or anything. So my point is : it could be on there, if anyone knows what I'm talking about

I'm not sure if that song is on it,but that albun was a soundtrack to a hendrix documentery done a coupla yrs after his departure.
Attachments:
JimiHendrix.jpg
Epi es335 dot(cherry)
danelectro 59 dc12 string
Taro(?)70's Jap Strat
Ibanez 70's 6string accoustic
SongBird 104 yn classical
Johnson Millenium 150 amp
Spider LP copy
Quote by iain4444

i know what youre talking about but im pretty sure its not on there
Turn off your mind, relax and float downstream

Member of the Beatlemania Is Not Phony Club...pm Sgt Pepper27 to join
Quote by punkrockfan666
u can probably walk into a music store read the tab for it in a jimi music book then walk out if u dont want to pay

yer ive done that b4 i just played the guitars and looked at the tab the people at the guitar shop were cool.
Quote by seljer
tracklist of the thing (I have it labelled as 1968 apartment tapes):

1983...A merman should I be
Angel
Cherokee Jam
Hear My Train A comin'
Voodoo Chile/Cherokee Mist
Gypsy Eyes

link to a flac version of the thing: http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/255746/?show_files=1&page=1&ref=1148419436#file_list
(if you've got a demonoid account...I think I got it from some other torrent site quiet a while ago)

his guitar is like 3/4 of a halfstep out of tune as well

Can someone seed that file for me, please.
For the tab: I would just go by the tabs on the net, but some are way off thought so try listening to the song while looking at the tab and see which one is more accurate, and use your "ear" so to speak to figure out what he's doing. But why would you want to play a Hendrix song exacltly how he did it, learn the basic progression and just improv it. I mean the man was basically improving almost everything in all of his songs, even when in the studios recording albums. It's not like most of the bands of today who play the exact same notes and everything from the albums when playing live.

As for the album: It may be from the "Jimi Hendrix Sothebys PLus Masters (studio outakes)" album. It's a pretty rare 2cd album tough so you will probably only be able to download it. That's how I found it. The Angel version on that album is called "Angel (acoustic demo)"
Hai UG!
Quote by iain4444

was this it?

it's the soundtrack to this movie:

^ yeah its that one i'm a hundred precent positive. its from that.
How many of you people know you're alive?
For those who said they were tabbing this song, if any of you finished could you post the tabs here or pm them to me? Thanks.
dude, by "first rays of the new rising sun." oh, and, JIMI HENDRIX IS GOD!!!
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join
El Presidente of The Jimi Hendrix is God Club. PM playloudordie to join.
what hendrix cd is manic depression on? tryin to learn it. gotta listen to the solo to get it right. (track numbah?)
Last edited by thatsjust(sic) at Jul 18, 2006,
Quote by playloudordie
dude, by "first rays of the new rising sun." oh, and, JIMI HENDRIX IS GOD!!!

*buy. sorry.
Quote by thatsjust(sic)
what hendrix cd is manic depression on? tryin to learn it. gotta listen to the solo to get it right. (track numbah?)

Are You Experienced
If it can't withstand the heat of a billion suns then it's worthless
Electric Church
Quote by rayIII
was this it?

Maybe its an album un-released in the U.K. The Experience did alot of alternate recordings. Although i've read Charles R Cross's biography of Hendrix and i don't remeber this CD being mentioned.
.Brand New.Bright Eyes.This Will Destroy You.

THRRRRRRRREADKILLER!
In my opinion, the most unheard of Jimi Hendrix song that is just so great is Power of Soul. It is my favorite song by Jimi Hendrix. What does everyone else think of it?