Hi all,

I'm treading the murky waters from guitar to bass, so I'm after a bass and amp. I'm pretty much set on the Ibanez EDB400; I'm a girl, so the ergodyne body is perfect for me.

So, I need some help choosing an amp. Budget is £150 max. I want at least 20 watts - I don't think you can't get a decent punchy bass sound out of anything much less.

Yes... I want it punchy. I play rock and blues on my guitar, but when it comes to the bass, I love anything a bit funky and jazzy. Modelling/effects aren't important. I'm happy - and would prefer - to buy second hand.

I have done my research and shortlisted a few amps within my budget:

Ashdown Perfect Ten - 30 watt, £120
Fender Rumble 25 £115
Laney Richter RB2 - 30 watt, £100
Roland Cube 30 - £160
Warwick Blue 30 - £165

So, what I'd like to know:
? What are the above amps like in terms of how they sound, and how they might work for the type of sound I want?
? Is there an amp in the above list which is clearly better than the rest, or one which is clearly worse than the rest?
? Are there any other amps I should be looking at (<£150, 20W>?

Looking forward to your replies
Mania VB4W natural walnut bass
Ashdown MAG300 1x15 combo - FOR SALE £190 ONO

Yamaha Pacifica 012 - FOR SALE £65 ONO
Laney LC30-II - FOR SALE £230 ONO
i think the ashdown perfect 10 is nice, because ashdowns town is very remarkable and has a good EQ on that amp, your choices are great in my opionon consdering you only want 30 watts =) the rumble would be good for slapping and popping but ashdown amps have that nice punch in them. why dont you try some out at a local shop?

you have a myspace or pics of your bass or guitars?
Hey Maxwell, thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

I have tried the Ashdown at a local guitar shop, it was nice, but as a bass n00b I haven't got a clue how it compares to anything else. I think the shop has a Rumble though, so I should go back and try them both together.

You say the Rumble is good for slapping and popping, and the Ashdown is good for punchiness. That's a hard choice for me, because I want to concentrate on slapping and popping a lot, but I love a punchy sound as well. Is there an amp which compromises well between the two, or will either the Rumble or Ashdown be sufficient for both?

I don't have a MySpace (well I do but I don't use it), but I've got pics and info about my guitar stuff here:
http://www.ellie-g.co.uk/New/guitarpics.htm I haven't bought a bass yet. Have you got a MySpace?

Soak up these words of wisdom.

I did my first gigs with a 25w fender frontman bassamp. Bass was miced and sounded like crap. First of all, the little amp was maxed and sounded really bad (no headroom left). Another big reason whas that the PA-guy turned on the wrong mic .

That been said: get as much as possible. That doesn't mean you should go ahead and buy a 35w amp. Get at least 150w. Why? Headroom is the key. Yes, you will probably only use 100w of the amp's power most of the time, but picture this: a small car with a top speed of 160km/h racing against a sportscar witch tops out at 250km/h. The small car can win from the sportscar, but it will be pushed to its max. limits while the sportscar will still be cruising nice and easy to keep up with it.
Same with the amp. When pushed to it's maximum, the sound will start to distort (wich is bad for the speakers and may ruin your amp). So the more power you have left to spare, the better and cleaner your sound will be.

And this brings me to the dilemma of every bassplayer:
When you're young, you play bars and pubs. So you NEED a large amp. But you can't afford it yet.
Then you get more experience and more money and you buy a larger amp. You still need it from time to time, but most of your gigs you have your bass DIed and your amp miced. Then the SE tells you to turn it down a bit.
Once you get fameous, you DON'T NEED a large amp, everything is DIed and miced. So you get yourself a nice little combo that doesn't break your (or your roadies) back that gives you a really nice sound. Unless you want to show off, you get a big rigg.
And then you become a superstar and you get an endorsement from an amp company. You are 'given' the amps that are way more than you need. But then you have roadies who break their back for you.

So when you're young, you need it but you can't get it.
When you're fameous you don't need it, and you get it for free...

Oh, one last thing. Save up for something nice. Don't get that 35w combo just because you need it. A year later you will get bigger gigs (at least I hope so) and you will need a bigger amp (again). The resell value will be almost nothing, so you will have lost some money wich could have been used to buy an even nicer amp. I hope you get my point on this? Or do I need to pull out those cars again
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
I tried to edit the previous reply as I had not credited Funkmaster with the item.
It would not let me edit hence the double post.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Thanks John, I agree with that main principle, however it doesn't fit my current personal situation:
a) I don't want to spend a lot on a big amp
b) I have nowhere for a big amp to go
c) A big amp will be impractical for taking to friends' houses
d) I'm not in a band so gigs aren't an issue
e) The amp will be for home use.

So, yes, as much as a 150watt amp would be nice, ~30 will do me for now.

then maybe the fender? fenders are great for slapping and popping, they can also dish out some nice punhyness with the treble up and bass up? put the high mid down and keep low at half way you can work the eq very well, the fender rumble's get great review for pratice amps.

ive even used the 100 watt at gig, and even the 60 watt at a small pub in the area, i like the rumbles, nice tone and value for the price.