Poll: What would you rather have?
Poll Options
View poll results: What would you rather have?
A brand new glimmering guitar
27 61%
An old scratched up guitar twice the price
17 39%
Voters: 44.
I'm getting a new American strat soon and people are telling me that I should try to find a vintage one instead. Are vintage guitars that much better than brand new ones and if so is it because the wood ages like an acoustic does? I've heard about people paying like $10,000 just to get a strat that was made in 1960, is it that worth it?
Member of the Natalie Portman club.

Quote by Jaimz
Yeh you might wanna check that out, finger impregnations are pretty common nowadays.
Quote by RTB_Chris
I've been playing for over 15 years, and all of my main guitars are Squiers.
things were made MUCH better back then then they are today. and yeah, youre right about the wood thing, as it ages, it tends to sound better. and in plus, you can buy a new guitar at any guitar store, but how often do you find a guitar made in the 60's??
people are after the sound. some vintage guitars sound incredibly unique because they were mostly handmade then and each instrument has its own properties. they are also valued for the fact that lots of "guitar gods" played insturments very similar to the ones being purchased.
these guitars are becoming more and more rare as the years pass so the chance to own a good one is fading fast.

also, the one that you are purchasing might become very valuable years from now like the guitars we are talking about did. especially if it is made well and sounds good. so hey you never know...
The Gear:

Custom Strat
Mesa Boogie Stiletto Ace
Fulltone OCD
Electro Harmonix Small Clone Chorus
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
MXR EVH-117 Flanger
Fulltone Soul Bender
truth be told, there is SOME difference is vintage gear according to the veterans on this site. but also that difference is minimal. That difference is just tone because of the aged wood and pickups. also quality of workmanship was higher then. is all that worth $10,000? IMO no
Quote by yorkshireterror
Dunlop's got the right idea
Oh yeah, only took me a few months
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
Wood does age in solid guitars.
Also, there are things which have changed which affect sound... And the classic sound is what's wanted.
And there's the fact that it's interesting for a guitar to survive so long.

And, y'know... Just because it's old.
So theoretically if I buy 100 guitars and store them in a depot at $500 each that's $50,000. In about 50 years if I sell each guitar at $10,000, there's $1,000,000!

Quote by Jaimz
Yeh you might wanna check that out, finger impregnations are pretty common nowadays.
Quote by RTB_Chris
and vintage guitars look better all beat up and ****(exspecially Strats)....thats sexy to me
So I'll play them once a month...

Quote by Jaimz
Quote by RTB_Chris
A lot of those guitars suck. Like '70's Fenders- they suck, why would you want a Fender from the years when CBS just bought them out?
I've been around long enough where some of those "vintage" guitars were new.
It's funny. We considered the 70's LPs and Strats to be inferior to the "vintage"
stuff. So nothing's changed. Buy it new. It won't really be any better or worse
than a "vintage." I don't really consider 70's+ vintage. Just old.
^did all the cbs strats suck? is it possible to find a good one and since the wood aged it would be even better?
Quote by toha33
^did all the cbs strats suck? is it possible to find a good one and since the wood aged it would be even better?

Of course they didn't all suck. It's possible to find a good one, but likely they
label them "VINTAGE! RARE!" to charge more. Better off buying new.
old guitars are just taht ,there old guitars ,its kinda like cars ,old cars dont handle as good dont get as good gas mileage and the windows stay fogged up at all times ,except two days a year .but soem peopel just wnat old cars.if you dont know anymore about guitars than your actin sherman ,just get a squier or maybe a mexican ,fender that is
Gear
Customized crunked out guitar rig
--1971 Fender Princeton (12")
--H.O.G.
3 customized guitars for the rig
--1999 Martin Jm - Seymour Duncan-SHR1-hotrail
--1998 Martin 000-28EC - Dearmond Humbucker
www.bigkingbud.com
We should open a guitar-aging facility. It would be like wine-aging cellars... buy new Stratocasters, LPs etc. and store them in a carefully controlled environment to preserve the integrity of the instruments while giving them time to ripen. The good harvest years will produce the most sought-after vintage guitars.

American Stratocaster + Blues Junior

fender already does that ,now you talk about pricy
Gear
--H.O.G.
www.bigkingbud.com
I think "aged wood" is most like bull. If you're talking about the age of the wood, new guitars could be made of trees thousands of years older.

People are going after a sound asociated with the era. Additionally when Gibson and such made their guitars in 1959, they weren't pumping out a million a year. If you make five guitars and one of them sucks, then there goes 20% of your sales.
Quote by RHCP94
It's an option for the "Which one of E Daws parents are uglier?" thread.
a million a year ? gibson makes billions a year ,there ****in world wide
Gear
--H.O.G.
www.bigkingbud.com
An old guitar because they are mostly made in the U.S. and are reliable(high-end ones).
VIVA LA REVOLUTION
well let me use gibson as an example

they used to make awesome guitars but now they make horrible guitars

my mexican fat strat is better than any LP Standard

their old guitars are great but gibson is a shadow of what they once were wheover decided to start making their guitars crap I hope rots in hell because they used to be amazing
Fender also started cutting back on their materials that's partly why people want vintage strats so much. It's all business now whereas back in the day it was quality over quantity.

Quote by Jaimz
Quote by RTB_Chris
while some people have this right, many are very very wrong.

Most vintage items of any type are very desirable by collectors and gear freaks and such. The fact that something that is very old, in good condition, and there are very few of these around makes them very very dear to some people and very desirable. When they're extremely rare, and many people want it, the value skyrockets.

For guitars it has almost nothing to do with sound or quality, its about it's history. In the automotive world a muscle car from the 60's costing $5000 could go up to $500,000. Old paintings are practically priceless and have extreme value.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
Quote by Funky P
while some people have this right, many are very very wrong.

Most vintage items of any type are very desirable by collectors and gear freaks and such. The fact that something that is very old, in good condition, and there are very few of these around makes them very very dear to some people and very desirable. When they're extremely rare, and many people want it, the value skyrockets.

For guitars it has almost nothing to do with sound or quality, its about it's history. In the automotive world a muscle car from the 60's costing $5000 could go up to $500,000. Old paintings are practically priceless and have exetreme value.

This is true.

Also (doubtfully has much to do with tone) but back in those days you could get alder or ash or mahagony that had been naturally aged for 20 years so it was dried with time, nowadays the wood for guitars and stuff is kiln-dried.
haha