As an aspiring bassist, I'm constantly working to improve my playing skills. Also, as someone who is never satisfied with myself, I'm constantly looking for new things to learn technique-wise. My goal is to not just be a bassist, but a musician. What are qualities that you would like the bassist in your band to have?

For example: one thing that I believe is important is versatility. If you're the best heavy metal bassist in your tri-state area, whatever. If you can slap better than Flea himself, I don't care. If can play every one of Jaco Pastorious's songs, it doesn't matter. Then again, the last one would be impressive.

The best players are the ones that understand their instrument and music enough to sit a gig and play funk, followed by rock, followed by R&B, followed by metal, ect., ect.

This thread would be a great reference for us bassists, thanks.
i play a lot of standard tuning songs, such as red hot chili peppers, cream, eric clapton, iron maiden....... the usual stuff. but i also drop d and play FFAF, bullet, my own bands stuff, and other heavy things. then i drop c to play killswitch engage and so on........

my point is, variation is the key to improving. if u just stick to one area of music (such as heavy metal), then u will eventually saturate all the techniques from it. but if u play a few songs from other areas, then u can learn new stuff and shizzle.

so yeah.......... bassists should have be versitile enough to do a three fingered gallop, slap bass, tapping......... but those techniques can only be learned quickly if u have a liberal music taste, rather than a conservative "new bands suck, im only gonna play old rock, coz its soooooooo much better" (nothing wrong with old stuff, don't get me wrong).
www.myspace.com/nopeepingcommatom

Quote by Braindoctor
Dont ask for buttsecks straight away , wait about 3 minutes then WHAM stick it in her butt.

This guy knows his stuff!
this is a good idea for bass in the musicians talk area i think (personally). Im still aspiring too so please help anyone, alright well I know how to put the trythm, do the roots and add on leads and use the other notes in a triad and such but that's just it, rythm. What could I do to invent stuff like Flea (VERY SORRY if you feel youve heard it too much)? Like namely how he came up with the lines for under the bridge or even the dani california rythm, is ther any specific things i could use?
i find that bass players are extremely overrated unless ofcourse they are extremely good but not many are. dont be sad i have nothing against you people except you are filth have a nice day
Quote by Orifice_43
i find that bass players are extremely overrated unless ofcourse they are extremely good but not many are. dont be sad i have nothing against you people except you are filth have a nice day

man that made roflllz
even flea doesn't create as many original basslines as you think

dani california + sweet home alabama (by lynard skynard), an unhealthy resembelance?
Just play the sienfeld theme at every gig, you will get invited back every time, guaranteed.
What do I look for....

Excellent sense of time.

Ability to create basslines that lock in, given a chord progression and a few minutes to jam.

Those are my big two, if a bassist can do that I'll probably be happy.

There are other picky things, like tonal consistancy, staying out of the range the guitar is playing in, and ability to do certain stylistic things, but these can be fixed. First and foremost I want a guy who will make the band sound tight.
Quote by alexpar90
dani california + sweet home alabama (by lynard skynard), an unhealthy resembelance?

Yeah, I noticed that!
I thought no one else had realised...
I want someone who plays the bass like a bass, and not like a downtuned 4 string guitar.

I want them to be able to play fast, accurate, and in time, with a variety of techniques and in depth theoretical knowledge.

I want someone who's not afraid of trying stuff out, not afraid of taking initiative.

I want someone who can jam and improvise a 10 minute solo without it getting boring...
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.