Just got "The Fire in Our Throats Will Reckon the Thaw"... Very good stuff... Being droney instrumental music, its suprising that it never gets boring (for me at least), and the song "Red Ran Amber" is one of the most beautiful acoustic songs ive heard in a while.

Discuss.
smoosh
Pelican are awesome instrumental metal. I heard they were on the Taste of Chaos tour a few years ago, too bad they're the only metal band on that tour. Are they from Australia?
Quote by DieGarbageMan
can i get a tl;dr up in this bitch?

A mod makes a joke and hi-jacks a thread...

Quote by paintITblack39
usually, this is often discussed in the political threads ...

let's change the question: are you pro or antti niemi?
I like them alot from what I heard. I agree, although I'm not a huge fan of really long droning stuff, these guys are killer.
Quote by Metalology
Are they from Australia?

No, they're from Chicago, and they kick immeasurable amounts of ass. Australasia is one of my favorite Post-rock releases of all time. Despite that, I still think they have some metal merit. They're a lot more consistent with the heaviness, as opposed to bands liek Explosions in th Sky or Godspeed You Black Emperor!.

'The Fire...' was, of course, great, but it just didn't hit me as hard as Australaisa did. Australaisa was, as a friend put, 'a granite pillar of an album'.
Quote by SickMetal
I like them alot from what I heard. I agree, although I'm not a huge fan of really long droning stuff, these guys are killer.

+1

Saw them with Opeth and they really suprised me.
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
+1

I envy you... Pelican's live show must be like a kick in face..

+ Opeth = creamage of trousers.
smoosh
I got a blowjob from the lead singer.

JUST KIDDING

they don't have a lead singer

but seriously, they're pretty kosher. I can dig it. Autumn into Summer tells a story through music very well.
THE TREND IS OVER
YOU WON'T NEED THAT ANYMORE
ITS ON SALE AT THE FUCKING DOLLAR STORE
Quote by Molodov
I envy you... Pelican's live show must be like a kick in face..

+ Opeth = creamage of trousers.

Well, it was alot of droning.. eh.. They moved around and squirmed alot, but it was weird, the whole place was in the same kind of groove, pretty cool. It wasnt an exciting show, not alot of presence or anything, but the music kind of just grabbed you and sucked you in, before you know it you were grooving right along with it. haha.

Opeth were killer, though. They played like.. demon of the fall, blackwater park and then deliverance all back to back.. it was like 30 minutes of headbanging. gah. I have never had a worse neck ache the next morning.
Quote by xxgenocide98xx

Me too...they were surprisingly horrible. I mean, I guess their music is decent, but I hate their show. We just chilled outside the stage room while they played.
Quote by frozen-dirt
Me too...they were surprisingly horrible. I mean, I guess their music is decent, but I hate their show. We just chilled outside the stage room while they played.

The show wasnt great, the music was good. It was a pretty intense feeling being in the middle of a thousandish people that were all just sitting there you know, nodding along in their own way, dancing, toe-tapping, what the **** ever, you know? it was like everyone was just chilling.

Plus there was no way I was going to give up my rail spot. haha. I was glued to that mother****er.
I remember the day I first heard "Drought" off of "Australasia" a year back. I went out and bought it a day later, kickass album.
Don't be derivative. Explore...
Pelican are a pretty sweet band, I'm with ChildrenOfBodom too, Austrailia is a lot better/heavier to me then the newer CD.

Favorite song: The Woods (off their self titled EP i think)
Ride the dragon toward the crimson eye...

Vaginal Destruction

^ Do you like sludgey stoner/doom? Well then you should try Vaginal Destruction
The EP is well worth buying.

Ive managed to see them three times so far. Once on the Australasia tour a few years ago, then promoting 'The Fire...' and lastly supporting Cave In this year.

The Australasia tour was definately there best set, playing Drought, Mammoth, The Woods, Angel Tears & GW. Since then in my eyes there playing style has suffered a bit.

The new album sounds immense live though.
Enjoy your worries, you may never have them again.

The Books.
Quote by galapogo
March into the Sea and Australasia are fantastic.

Also, if you're a fan of Pelican, check out Isis or Jesu

Both of those bands mentioned kick ass. I'm really a huge fan of the Neurosis-ish slab of heavy/somber music.
Don't be derivative. Explore...
I've seen them live twice. Good stuff, Angel Tears was their best song live.
If you are reading this, GET A JOB!!