alright ive been recording using the worst thing ever... an mp3 player... dont ask

anyways, im looking at...
Fostex MR 8 http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/FostexMR88TrackDigitalRecorder?sku=240239X
Toneport UX1 http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line6TonePortUX1USBRecordingModelingInterface?sku=249700

id rather have the Fostex, but i dunno how hard it would be to edit a song on a screen the size of a watch... if anyone has one of these please tell me what you think

the toneport i could only use on the computer in the middle of my family room because mine is really slow. i would like to have a little privacy and not have to move everything in there to record. if anyone knows anything really cool about these, for gods sake help me! lol

And of course if anyone knows of anything any better in a decent price range, suggest it please

Thanks
AHHHHHHHHHHHH

Riffs and Recordings forum! Reported!

And THERE IS TONS OF INFO ON THIS!
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Ok here are my ideas. First, although i like the Fostex, I am going to tell u to go with, well not the Ux1, but the toneport Ux2. The fostex is a dedicated recorder while the Toneport is an interface with your PC. I believe that the toneport will leave you with more options in the future and recording to software allows much more flexibility including plug-ins. So if ever you want to upgrade, then you would most likely have to simply replace the Fostex rather than expanding your software applications for use with your Toneport. U can always add a cheap mixer to ur toneport too. Using the toneport as a front end for turning a PC into a Digital Audi Workstation, would give you more options for multitracking and mixing as you can get some very sophisticated software running on a PC. The Fostex may be easier to record with, if you need to record in any location other than where your computer is then the Fostex will be easier to use, unless you are using a Laptop. Hope this helps and Good Luck,

Steve
Member #5 of the I <3 Schecter's Club-PM Schecter-06 to join
"Member of the Guitarists that wished they could sing because they would make fantastic frontmen club"-Pm Davidian to join
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
AHHHHHHHHHHHH

Riffs and Recordings forum! Reported!

And THERE IS TONS OF INFO ON THIS!

im sorry, but i thought that was for stuff already recorded, which it is
This is the GUITAR GEAR AND ACCESSORIES FORUM
And the last time i checked recording gear is still gear

and if you can find a link to ANY thread that asks specifically about the Fostex MR 8 and Toneport UX1 compared to eachother, give me the link, and i will apologize
Last edited by thatgu1targuy at May 23, 2006,
Quote by Guitaraphone06
Ok here are my ideas. First, although i like the Fostex, I am going to tell u to go with, well not the Ux1, but the toneport Ux2. The fostex is a dedicated recorder while the Toneport is an interface with your PC. I believe that the toneport will leave you with more options in the future and recording to software allows much more flexibility including plug-ins. So if ever you want to upgrade, then you would most likely have to simply replace the Fostex rather than expanding your software applications for use with your Toneport. U can always add a cheap mixer to ur toneport too. Using the toneport as a front end for turning a PC into a Digital Audi Workstation, would give you more options for multitracking and mixing as you can get some very sophisticated software running on a PC. The Fostex may be easier to record with, if you need to record in any location other than where your computer is then the Fostex will be easier to use, unless you are using a Laptop. Hope this helps and Good Luck,

Steve

thanks alot for not just sayin "AHHH REPORTED!!!", your answer helped alot

just wondering why would the UX2 be worth... $50? more. i know its got more connections but couldnt i just go seperately?
50$ more?? The Fostex is actually 20$ more than the Ux2... Ok, one thing i see in the toneport specs that the Fostex doesnt have is Phantom power. If u ever want to record acoustic guitar or vocals and u are using a condenser mic u are gonna want the phantom power. Also recording into a recording software offers soo much more things that u can do. The Line 6 comes with its own recording software and a software called gearbox. Gear box models vintage amps and all other kinds of amps, it even models microphones and it offers many effects in which is models pedals. To me there is just soo much more u can do.
"Member of the Guitarists that wished they could sing because they would make fantastic frontmen club"-Pm Davidian to join
Quote by thatgu1targuy

and if you can find a link to ANY thread that asks specifically about the Fostex MR 8 and Toneport UX1 compared to eachother, give me the link, and i will apologize

are any of them comparing both of them against eachother? i havent found one yet

and by the way, look at what forum there in, most of them say this one, the one you reported me for posting this in.
OK my mistake I misread, yes the Ux2 is more. But the Ux1, like i said about the fostex, doesnt come with phantom power. U also have those extra VU meters. I bought the Ux2 cause people told me in the future I would want more inputs anyway. if u are on a strict budget get the Ux1, U can always buy a cheap Behringer mixer (but they are pretty good) and ull get more connections, some even have phantom power on 'em so u wont have to worry about that
Quote by Guitaraphone06
50$ more?? The Fostex is actually 20$ more than the Ux2... Ok, one thing i see in the toneport specs that the Fostex doesnt have is Phantom power. If u ever want to record acoustic guitar or vocals and u are using a condenser mic u are gonna want the phantom power. Also recording into a recording software offers soo much more things that u can do. The Line 6 comes with its own recording software and a software called gearbox. Gear box models vintage amps and all other kinds of amps, it even models microphones and it offers many effects in which is models pedals. To me there is just soo much more u can do.

no i meant why is the UX2 worth $50 (or whatever it is) more then the UX1 lol
Wow...you're persistent eh?

Really though, in order to compare something does it need to be in the same post? Is it really that hard to compare something without having it within the same search results?

And there are many threads comparing digital recorders to interfaces, etc. Those certainly apply
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Thatgu1targuy, just leave it alone. I'll try and answer ur questions the best I can. I posted a couple up about my mistake with the "50$ more thing". My response b/t the Ux1 and Ux2 is post #9
Guitaraphone06, would not having phantom power affect dynamic mics? ive heard both no and yes

EDIT:
Quote by Guitaraphone06
Thatgu1targuy, just leave it alone. I'll try and answer ur questions the best I can. I posted a couple up about my mistake with the "50$ more thing". My response b/t the Ux1 and Ux2 is post #9

stop talkin to pink queen or asking questions? if the threads getting bumped alot and u dont want it to, once that question is answered ill just delete it
i say no. it is mostly used with condenser mics. Im guessing maybe u have a shuresm57, if u put it out it wont really effect em but u really shouldnt use it with dynamics. Well, it looks like u really dont want all the inputs and phantom, so I say u go for the Ux1, later on if u see u want more inputs, get a mixer like this one:http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/BehringerEurorackUB802Mixer?sku=631238
It has phantom power too if u ever want it. But this would be a good idea.
No no keep asking as many questions as u want! In the future post something like this in riffs and recordings, it doesnt matter to me but ull get more answers and opinions there
^ finally someone thatll actually answer questions lol thanks again for all your help

i just realised i have a really old mixer, its a radioshack one so i doubt its got phantom power, but it has connections... there that A/V cable red and white plugs but i guess thats why ive got that box of adaptors
cool, u know if u get the right cables u can use that as a preamp and record into ur comp. But i recommend u go with the interface it will be 1000000 times better and i dont know what preamps are built in the mixer, but if u get the Ux1 u can always attach the mixer to it. and if u every need phantom power u can add one of these http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/BehringerMICROPOWERPS400PhantomPowerSupply?sku=336830
no problem
haha good move
Quote by Mascot
*moved*

if you insist lol

still wouldnt this be more gear stuff cause from what i know, riffs and recordings is for making riffs and getting people to criticize your song, oh well doesnt matter
U can plug it straight in with a regular guitar cable. Its like an amp, remember it models amps and effects so plug some headphones in and plug ur guitar in and u hear urself playing like ur listening to an amp. Its quite cool
even though this is a completely different topic, i have one more question lol

how do you amplify an XLR mic? i use my guitar amp for 1/4ths but i have no idea about this... ive been googling it and stuff but nothing good comes up
I dont understand, u mean like play into it to record or just to listen?
plug it right into an amp
no problem