hey, whats a good laptop for recordign with a pretty good soundcard and firewire ports in the price range of about 500-800 bucks?

p.s. im going to be running Cuebase and using a ProSonus FireBox interface wit the computer.

thanks!
Originally posted by skeptopotamus
Well, me and my lab of expert scienticians have created an ingenius device that will capture one's flatulence and transport it to a nearby foe's rectum, thus attributing any foul odors towards your enemies, mblavin.
Why does the soundcard matter when you're using a firebox? Anyways check eBay, cause its going to be difficult ot find something in that range.
if using an external inteface, you would be bypassing the soundcard for recording so i dont see why that is a big issue. just make sure you have a good sized hard drive (60 GB should be plenty), a good ammount of ram (i would say at least a gig, but since you are using the interface you could get away with less), and a decent processor speed. my laptop runs at 1.86 GHz, tho im pretty sure that you wont find that in your price range. just find the best specs you can for your price range that fit your needs, ie has firewire ports.

question: what else will you use this laptop for? i mean, my laptop is mostly for school, so im running crap like MATLab and Inventor which can be memory hogs, so recording can suffer. if this laptop is only going to be for recording, that would be much better because you wont have anything else cluttering your hard drive and begging for memory. but if this laptop is going to be multi purpose, get the best specs you can find so that it can handle everything.
im also going to put my itunes library on it (its about 4,000 songs) and im still deciding weither i should put aim. because then i feel it will turn into just an every day use computer and i already have one of those
Originally posted by skeptopotamus
Well, me and my lab of expert scienticians have created an ingenius device that will capture one's flatulence and transport it to a nearby foe's rectum, thus attributing any foul odors towards your enemies, mblavin.
Quote by jof1029

question: what else will you use this laptop for? i mean, my laptop is mostly for school, so im running crap like MATLab and Inventor which can be memory hogs, so recording can suffer. if this laptop is only going to be for recording, that would be much better because you wont have anything else cluttering your hard drive and begging for memory. but if this laptop is going to be multi purpose, get the best specs you can find so that it can handle everything.

Agreed. (I also use MATLAB a crapload, at least during school. I couldn't push my old laptop too far to do editing a mixing because of this!)

RAM is the biggest thing, methinks. You can get away with a slower processor if you plug in more RAM.

If it's purely a music machine, DON'T PUT ON AIM. I'm serious. If you have to, put on iTunes, at least that's not very corruptable. I recorded all my audio files going into my laptop onto an external (and faster rpm) hard drive.

(Now I've got a handy Mac G5 Dual 2.0GHz with 2.5GB of RAM. It flies!)

So... minimum requirements:
-Good processor, 1.5GHz at least
-RAM, more than a gig
-Fast HD, 5400 RPM is not enough
-Clean volume/HD... as in, no crap and clutter on it!

That should work out. One last question: Are you going Mac or PC? Mac already has the PreSonus drivers in its system---it's literally plug-and-play. I use an M-Audio and it requires updating drivers (ugh). Macs are also better with Cubase... PCs typically run everything but ProTools and Logic better. Macs are better with floating-point calculations (for example, MATLAB, an engineering tool, uses floating-point a lot and engineering companies request Macs for this kind of stuff since they run 64-bit on the G5s).

Anywho, obviously I've got a Mac bias, but I've only ever used GarageBand, Reason 2.5, Cubase, and Logic Express and Pro. Those are all better on Macs, but most other programs suit PCs better.

red
Looking for my India/Django.