Every time I go instrument shopping, I like to come in here and share my stories with all of you guys. This is the first time i've gone out since the last trip. I think I'm going to keep a record of the instruments I play up until December when I have enough money to purchase my new bass.
Trip 1: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=291356
I'm in the market looking for a new bass. I headed over to my local music store to check out a few basses I had in mind.

All of the basses mentioned were being played through a Gallien-Krueger 400RB and a used Dave Eden 4x10.

First off was the ever-loved Musicman Bongo. It was a 4 string in blue. Very beautiful bass. However, when I sat down to play it, I found that the neck was terribly warped up near the 15th fret. It needed some serious set-up. I made the best out of the situation, and avoided the top of the neck. There was a very wide range of tone, but I felt that I couldn't find a "master" tone for each of the available settings. It seemed like a bass for those who gig in multiple bands of different genres who need more than one tone. When I pulled out my Dunlop pick however, I fell in love with the bridge MM pickup. It had a very nice bright response that carried over the lows, which most bridge pickups tend to loose. Other than the picking tone, I couldn't really find a tone I liked. It was priced at $1050

I set down the Bongo and walked over to a Fender Highway 1 American Jazz 4. The first thing I noticed about this bass was the beautifully shaped neck. It seemed to mold into my hand. When I plugged it in, I was faced with a wall of hissing, until I realized that the bridge pickup was set all the way up with the tone all the way up. The bass had a very bright tone (it had been strung with D'Addario XL's), and the overall feel was excellent. The bridge pickup was placed in an area where the strings were not to tight, so it was still easy to dig in a bit to get a more gritty bridge pickup tone. With the neck pickup soloed and the tone about a quarter up, I could get a fat reggae tone to play all those fun Sublime songs. The slap tone was nothing special... just the mainstream slap tone. I had the neck pup all the way up and the bridge about half way. The tone was almost all the way up. This bass carried a $1100 price tag.

Bass #3 was a Warwick Corvette $$ 4 string. I just can't get enough of this bass. I can get all of my favorite tones using the pickup switch. I could quickly model the Fender Jazz's slap and reggae tone, and I got very close to the Bongo's pick tone. The fingerstyle tone was the one I am always after. Thick and growly. The strings are positioned far from eachother. The neck is a bit thick and sluggish, which might take a bit of getting used to because of my Ibanez' fast neck and tight string spacing. But it has a reasonable $1360 price tag.

The final bass I had time to really spend time with was my new dream bass. A Gibson Tobias Killer B 4 string. Everything about this bass was great. The only thing I didn't like was the basic body shape. The wood was beautiful, the Bartolini pickups topped those currently in my Ibanez, and they where perfectly positioned to give my thumb a comfortable resting post. The neck was amazing. There was nothing about it that slowed down my playing. The action and neck where perfectly set up. I had heard bad things about post-Gibson Tobias basses (Tobias after gibson took them over). After doing a bit of research online (Talkbass, mainly) I realized that this bass was for me. People had been complaining that they felt the neck was uncomfortable, but I found it absolutly amazing. Others were complaining about the lower-end Tobias Growler's, which I did not play.
The problem is the pricetag: $1600. I will probably be able to cut that down a little bit, and it will take me about until christmas to save up for.

Well, thats that. I didn't think I needed anything else bass-wise for a long time, but I guess this trip really got my gassing for something new.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
I probably just forgot the price than

Or it was just a regular American fender jazz. I remember it being american, and the little thing attatched to the neck said "Highway I"

Last edited by Incubus_SCIENCE at May 23, 2006,
I love Tobias basses.

The Killer B is a great bass, and overall the necks are brilliant, so fast and so smooth. One of my dream basses is the Classic model. to bad it's got a HUGE price tag. (over $3000)
cool...I always like reading about peoples experiences with basses that I have or havent played...You guys usually notice more stuff than I do when I go to Guitar Center and play around with the basses that I know I cant get...Mostly cuz I'm still a noob when it comes to analyzing basses, lol...But I havent been to GC in a while and I'm itching to go try out some more Schecter Stilletos!...If only the guitar center near me was a few miles closer...or i had a car

Anyways, good stuff on the thread man, keep em coming...even though I cant afford any of these basses, this info is interesting and may come in handy if I ever have 1500 dollars laying around
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
Last edited by XeNoCiDe730 at May 25, 2006,
Where do you live? I'm like, 5-10 minutes from East Coast. I haven't been in the new store yet, how is it? I love that place.
Redding CT. like 20 minutes from the store. The new one is so much better. They just had this huge 2 for 1 sale this weekend, and I went by on monday to check out what was left. THe racks were pretty empty.

Warwicks had, have, and will have thick necks. According to Warwick, neck configuration is what makes a Warwick. It's is "thick", though. But tone comes at a price...

Either it's gonna be great thanks to amazing PU and preamp, or it's gonna be awesome due to the woods involved in the making and the PU's... I'd rather have the second option, that's why I love Warwicks, it's the "Sound of Wood" above everything else.

What the hell is that dollar sign addon?! I see that in US. What is it? Warwick Corvette $$? Is that the Proline?
The "$$" us for the double buck I believe.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
The double buck is $$.

And Bassilo... the weakest spot on warwicks is their horrible in house pickups (MEC's) and the bad preamp. I can work with playing them, but they sound bad.
haha
Sure as sin bro. Played a Modulus Flea 5 that played smooooooooth and sounded killer. Then played a Thumb Neckthru that played rough and sounded sheer bad. And more often than not i've seen the bad warwicks.
haha
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sure as sin bro. Played a Modulus Flea 5 that played smooooooooth and sounded killer. Then played a Thumb Neckthru that played rough and sounded sheer bad. And more often than not i've seen the bad warwicks.

most warwicks that are used are the ones hanging in the music shops. then they are beaten to death even more once in the shops. i've played a brand new one and it had a smooth boom like nothing ive played.
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
I own a Warwick it has a growl like none other sounds liek a beast, it is uncomparible to Fenders, MM, and other such basses....
Member of UG's Mac users club. PM Metalstillsucks if you are wanting in.

Quote by hendrixmusicman
whats IMO? like Emo? If imo is emo, then buddy, you can just shut up because im in the anti emo army. same with the veggies. I'm classic rock all the way.
Quote by crazypeanutman
most warwicks that are used are the ones hanging in the music shops. then they are beaten to death even more once in the shops. i've played a brand new one and it had a smooth boom like nothing ive played.

I know for a fact that very flea bass had been in the shop for 6 months, whereas it was the first time I saw that warwick. The Flea was set up like a wet dream, the warwick was set up like it should be (lowish action, fretsg ood, no neck warp) and just sounded no good. There's a reason Warwick used to use EMG and Duncan pickups in the Pre-98's.
haha
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
I know for a fact that very flea bass had been in the shop for 6 months, whereas it was the first time I saw that warwick. The Flea was set up like a wet dream, the warwick was set up like it should be (lowish action, fretsg ood, no neck warp) and just sounded no good. There's a reason Warwick used to use EMG and Duncan pickups in the Pre-98's.

Actually mine is a Pre-98 and it has Mecs so i don't know what your talking about
Member of UG's Mac users club. PM Metalstillsucks if you are wanting in.

Quote by hendrixmusicman
whats IMO? like Emo? If imo is emo, then buddy, you can just shut up because im in the anti emo army. same with the veggies. I'm classic rock all the way.
The majority of Pre-98's came with EMG pickups or Duncan Basslines. Either yours is not a pre-98, or has MEC's somehow, or a previous owner switched out the EMG/DUncans for the cheaper MEC's.
haha
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
The double buck is $$.

And Bassilo... the weakest spot on warwicks is their horrible in house pickups (MEC's) and the bad preamp. I can work with playing them, but they sound bad.

You've only played Guitar Center Warwicks, and you don't have a reason to be complaining

Guitar Center gets the bad batch always, and people always get a bad feeling for them. Thumb's are not for everyone. They have a very original and unique tone, that a lot of people find useless. Warwicks are built with individual people's ideas in mind. You need to find the Warwick that is right for you.