What does an envelope thingy do?
Member of UG's Keyboardists club. PM 4string-tsurigi to join.

Jimbo Wallace of the Godlike, Archaic, But Sexy Instrument Players. PM me to join.
I have an envolope filter, they're really good. Errrm it's hard to describe, it's like a REALLY good bass wah, sort of sounds like something being drowned. Try to find a soundclip online.
Musicman Stingray 3EQ
Is an envelope filter what flea uses for the song 21st century?
No I don't think so, but if that is the effect he's using it's on REALLY low. Flea does use an Envelope filter, though.
Musicman Stingray 3EQ
George Clinton is famous for his envelope filter funk sound with the Qtron. Flea used a Qtron on the new chillis album.
Quote by Nikklaus
No I don't think so, but if that is the effect he's using it's on REALLY low. Flea does use an Envelope filter, though.

...it's a qtron envelope filter without a doubt. And it's not on that low, he's just turniung the sweep off.

But I'm guessing you don't own an envelope; I'm not ****ting on you, I'm just establishing that there's more than just the "sweep" sound of an envelope filter.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Quote by UtBDan
...it's a qtron envelope filter without a doubt. And it's not on that low, he's just turniung the sweep off.

But I'm guessing you don't own an envelope; I'm not ****ting on you, I'm just establishing that there's more than just the "sweep" sound of an envelope filter.

I do own an envolope filter, doesn't sound like anything I've heard.

You're more condescending than I'd realised. A person with your status on this forum is not someone who should be so obviously crontradicting other forum users and justifying an arrogant attitude...
Musicman Stingray 3EQ
i have owned the DOD, mini, and regular qtron envelope filters, and ive never had to deal with this sweep you speak of dan. besides, ive read that the bass balls is a piece, and not worth getting compared to the q.
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
Crazypeanutman, by "sweep," do you mean a certain knob that is on the pedal? I don't think that's exactly what Dan was referring to. To me, sweep doesn't refer so much to a knob as to the "buaaahh" sound you hear when you hold a note long with an envelope filter. On my Boss AW-3, there's a "Decay" control that affects the length of the "sweep."

21st Century sounds a helluva lot like an envelope filter to me, with a very short sweep.

Whatever he actually used in that song, the sound is that of an envelope filter. There are envelope filter pedals, but the effect itself can be built into any circuit.
Computer programmers are loopy.
- That's one of my own!
How is the mini Q-tron? Is it really as much of a value as it seems?
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray > Digitech BP200 > Gallien Krueger 400RBIII/115

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

damn yertle, you got some groove
Quote by Yertle
How is the mini Q-tron? Is it really as much of a value as it seems?

i made that mistake, its not a bass pedal, and you will be utterly disappointed. its great for guitar though.

and i wasnt sure what dan meant by sweep, so im not really sure. i guess that makes sense though junkstuff.
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
Mini Qtron is amazing..can do like a huge vocal sound with it and it doesnt work as well with distortioin
Quote by Nikklaus
I do own an envolope filter, doesn't sound like anything I've heard.

You're more condescending than I'd realised. A person with your status on this forum is not someone who should be so obviously crontradicting other forum users and justifying an arrogant attitude...

I was just saying because I knew it was one. It wasn't a matter of opinion where I stated IM RIGHT YOUR WRONG BITCHES, it was a matter of fact where you didn't think it was that, but I knew it was that. That's simple. No meanness intended.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Sweep is sorta like what you would get if you opened and closed a wah, kinda like tremolo is what you would get if you raised and lowered your volume. I love sweep, there's a great "sweep delay" on my Line 6 Echo Park that gives a great phychodelic flavor.