hey, im gonna buy a peavey valve king 50watt 112 combo, but it doesnt have that sorta metal sound, and i thought that maybe a zakk wylde overdrive pedal would kick it in the ass abit.

what do u guys think ?

im gonna slam some EMG 81/85's in to my les paul aswell to help it on the way

could i just get away with the Active EMG's?

thank u

P.S im not a zakk fan boy, not saying i dont like his stuff coz i havnt heard any, but u get the point
Last edited by Alex2zulu at May 23, 2006,
Maybe. I tried one out (Valveking) and the tech said just throw a Boss Super-overdrive in front of it.

Try a Wylde OD if you can with the Valveking
From what I've heard the Zakk Wylde Overdrive is muddy and doesn't sound as great as it costs. I, however, have not had any experience with it and can't tell you what it sounds like. If you're looking for an OD the best one you can get would probably be an Ibanez/Maxon Tubescreamer. If you have a lot of money than look into the Keeley Modded Boss SD-1. As for the EMGs, I think you should go with an 81/60 combo as the 60 has better cleans than the 85. What kind of guitar do you have,what's your budget, and what kind of metal sound are you going for? Depending on what you have I might be able to reccomend you better gear.
Quote by GiantRaven
I'm sure theres a Nigerian king just waiting for you to reply to his email
Quote by Chimaira
From what I've heard the Zakk Wylde Overdrive is muddy and doesn't sound as great as it costs. I, however, have not had any experience with it and can't tell you what it sounds like. If you're looking for an OD the best one you can get would probably be an Ibanez/Maxon Tubescreamer. If you have a lot of money than look into the Keeley Modded Boss SD-1. As for the EMGs, I think you should go with an 81/60 combo as the 60 has better cleans than the 85. What kind of guitar do you have,what's your budget, and what kind of metal sound are you going for? Depending on what you have I might be able to reccomend you better gear.

i have an epiphone les paul (mahogny i think) price range is about £80 (150 dollars) for the pedal
and £150 for pickups (281 dollars)

some advice on pups other than EMG's would help me out alot 2 thanx
I've tried a valveking with a guitar that had an EMG set. (I think they were 85/81)

It still sounded thin and fizzy, not great for metal. A boost might help you more. Why don't you just try it out to see?
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
Would it be okay to forget a overdrive pedal and the amps overdrive and simply use a Keeley-mod MT2 (metalzone, but done up) on the clean channel?

Does this almost fefeat the point of getting a tube amp, and I should rather save up for a XXX or 6505 or would you still get better tone out of it that with a solid state and Kelley MT2?

Thing is i cant really afford a very good tube atm.. and it just sounds like im not gonna get a good sound from a Valveking even with a OD.
Quote by Elven_King
Would it be okay to forget a overdrive pedal and the amps overdrive and simply use a Keeley-mod MT2 (metalzone, but done up) on the clean channel?

Does this almost fefeat the point of getting a tube amp, and I should rather save up for a XXX or 6505 or would you still get better tone out of it that with a solid state and Kelley MT2?

Thing is i cant really afford a very good tube atm.. and it just sounds like im not gonna get a good sound from a Valveking even with a OD.

EXCUSE ME UR JACKING MY THREAD

sorry dude, i sprained my foot today and am a little pissed
Last edited by Alex2zulu at May 24, 2006,
Actually Alex2zulu, that might not be a bad idea to try out, if there is anyway you could play one locally before you buy it. Although I haven't actually heard the Keeley MT-2 yet, I've A/B'd the TS9 and OD808 against the Keeley modded versions, and there was a noticable difference IMO. At every setting, the Keeley modded pedals just sounded better to me. They didn't get harsh, even at the extremes, and seemed to add more usable gain and smoothness at all settings. Judging from my experience with those 2 pedals, I'm a believer in his mods at this point. I'd be really curious to hear how the MT-2 sounds in comparison. I've seen several go between $50-100 used with the Keeley mod on eBay. I've been watching the Keeley MT-2's for just this application actually. My friend has an older tube amp that he bought mostly for blues stuff, but now he's been getting into metal and wants more gain. From Keeley's description, it supposedly keeps some of the tube type characteristics, but of course that's his site. He also has clips though. http://www.robertkeeley.com/product.php?id=16
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
Actually Alex2zulu, that might not be a bad idea to try out, if there is anyway you could play one locally before you buy it. Although I haven't actually heard the Keeley MT-2 yet, I've A/B'd the TS9 and OD808 against the Keeley modded versions, and there was a noticable difference IMO. At every setting, the Keeley modded pedals just sounded better to me. They didn't get harsh, even at the extremes, and seemed to add more usable gain and smoothness at all settings. Judging from my experience with those 2 pedals, I'm a believer in his mods at this point. I'd be really curious to hear how the MT-2 sounds in comparison. I've seen several go between $50-100 used with the Keeley mod on eBay. I've been watching the Keeley MT-2's for just this application actually. My friend has an older tube amp that he bought mostly for blues stuff, but now he's been getting into metal and wants more gain. From Keeley's description, it supposedly keeps some of the tube type characteristics, but of course that's his site. He also has clips though. http://www.robertkeeley.com/product.php?id=16

right so i havnt had any experiance with moded pedals of any kind. i always thought stuff like that was a stand alone sorta thing. and wouldnt it kinda ruin the valve effect. or is it of a valve like quality ?