Hi. This is going to sound very stupid, but here it goes anyway. My friend was playing around with my new guitar, 61' reissue sg. and I told him to tune it into drop D. Now he thought drop D meant that you tune the E string UP to D. Well he did that and the string was incredibly tight. Could this possibly have done any damage to the guitar? I thought I heard a crack but it could have just been my imagination or a squeaky floorboard or something. I tuned it back down right away. I called up gibson tech support and they said it probably didn't do anything, but I would like some more opinions.
i dont think it did anythin, but if u tightened all of them it could bend the neck, same if you had all your strings real loose
Ibanez GSR190 Bass
Ibanez IBZ10B amp

Ibanez GAX30
Boss DS-1 Distortion
LOL that's a whole octave up and then another whole step!

i'm suprised your tuning peg didn't tear itself out of the wood and poke an eye out or something
but i guess i don give instruments in general enough credit for durability
that sound you heard. was most likely the wraps around the string splitting and unravaling a bit. happened to me once, with a 75 gauge string.
Equipment:

Schecter 007 BlackJack
schecter c7 hellraiser
ibanez k7
Krank Revolution one stack
Tech 21 Trademark 30
Digitech Whammy Pedal
tech 21 killer wail
One string for a short period of time on a quality instrument should not be a problem.
Daniel Hart
KE3WH