Alright, usually I'd figure this out by myself, but I'm a lazy bastard. So... Could anyone tell me what key Smoke on the Water is? Cos I want to jam out a nice bluesy solo at a gig coming up.
Smoke on the water also fits into F Major.

Also, D Harmonic Minor, C half diminished, A# Whole Diminished, G Romanian Minor, F# 8 tone Spanish, A Neopolitan Minor, and more will work too.
Last edited by doggy_hat at May 23, 2006,
Quote by doggy_hat

Also, D Harmonic Minor, C half diminished, A# Whole Diminished, G Romanian Minor, F# 8 tone Spanish, A Neopolitan Minor, and more will work too.
It's in G minor.
Quote by doggy_hat

do u think that he would know what those scales are if he cant find out what key the song is in? no...no need to show off your scale knowlege

and yes its in G minor
Originally posted by skeptopotamus
Well, me and my lab of expert scienticians have created an ingenius device that will capture one's flatulence and transport it to a nearby foe's rectum, thus attributing any foul odors towards your enemies, mblavin.
now correct me if i'm wrong and if i am thats fine, but isn't smoke on the water

G5, Bb5,C5 and Db5 ???

i don't think Db5 is in Gminor, again correct me if i'm wrong but i believe Gminor is spelled out

G, A, Bb,C,D,Eb,F

just as an fyi.....
its actually just G Major in the mixolydian mode. a solo using G mixolydian or G pentatonic would work, or you could use a G blues scale, G#/Ab diminished scale, db/c# minor harmonic/dominant seven scale, or c ionian mode.

p.s. just because a note or chord isnt in a key doesnt make it a different key. its just a different mode or a different note
Quote by z4twenny
now correct me if i'm wrong and if i am thats fine, but isn't smoke on the water

G5, Bb5,C5 and Db5 ???

i don't think Db5 is in Gminor, again correct me if i'm wrong but i believe Gminor is spelled out

G, A, Bb,C,D,Eb,F

just as an fyi.....
That is a chromatic passing tone used to create tension. It is the b5 chord, quite a common chord in rock.

Quote by m250w
its actually just G Major in the mixolydian mode. a solo using G mixolydian or G pentatonic would work, or you could use a G blues scale, G#/Ab diminished scale, db/c# minor harmonic/dominant seven scale, or c ionian mode.

p.s. just because a note or chord isnt in a key doesnt make it a different key. its just a different mode or a different note
It's in G minor. The chorus is kind of a phrygian thing!

Use G pentatonic/blues and Aeolian for the solo, perhaps with some pyrygian thrown in there.

In fact, just ignore that guys post.
It's actually a blues scale. The roots are on the D blues scale.
METAR KTIK 040043Z COR RMK TORNADO 1W MOV NE. EVACUATING STATION
Quote by aprescott_27
It's actually a blues scale. The roots are on the D blues scale.

The G blues scale
I guess the lesson is, when you write a song with four notes, you're gonna have an ass ton of possible keys.
Quote by goog7
do u think that he would know what those scales are if he cant find out what key the song is in? no...no need to show off your scale knowlege

and yes its in G minor

I don't have that much scale knowlege, I just started looking up random scales, and switching the keys around till I got El0-1-3-5-6 on a guitar codex program. I just recomended some more exotic scales, so if he used one it would sound different.
I don't think it is in G blues, G blues doesn't have an A in it, it has an A#.
Ohhh...My head hurts...

Quote by Inahrima
^ have i told you i keep misreading your title as UG's biggest bad greek?
Maybe it's too 'effin' late for this,but.. actually,the intro riff kinda gives it all away a little bit.(especially,if you're blues-rock guitarist)
Wanna know how? There are four double stops(fourths) played on the D and G strings. The fourth one,as many have stated,is like a passing tone. Now,as you probably know,a fourth can be wieved as an inversed fifth(yes,that power-chord thing you always play on your guitar).
From that perspective(if you don't also look at the guitar solo of the song,which furtherly kind of... cements the statement), you can assume,that the "key" of the song is G,and from the very beginning,it is likely,that it is a minor scale. From there,you start looking through different scales,into which these double-stop-power-chords(yes,a fourth is also a power chord) fit in.

Now,guess which minor scale is the first scale likely to be the key of "Smoke On The Water"? The G minor blues scale.(yes,you read this right. There are different kinds of blues scales,not only the pentatonic scales,and the minor blues scale.)
And after checking out the solo,it is clear,that the G minor blues scale fits PERFECTLY into the song.(But,also some diatonic scales(modes of natural G minor),with,or without the passing tone, fit into it as well. Like G aeolian(natrual minor),G Dorian,G Phrygian,A# Major,C Dorian,D Phrygian,E Lydian,F Mixolydian,A Locrian)
G minor

/thread

and dear lord, mother of all necrobumps!
Quote by Xiaoxi
The Byzantine scale was useful until the Ottoman scale came around and totally annihilated it.
Quote by doggy_hat

This post made me throw up.

Quote by ron4ik16
And after checking out the solo,it is clear,that the G minor blues scale fits PERFECTLY into the song.(But,also some diatonic scales(modes of natural G minor),with,or without the passing tone, fit into it as well. Like G aeolian(natrual minor),G Dorian,G Phrygian,A# Major,C Dorian,D Phrygian,E Lydian,F Mixolydian,A Locrian)

As did this one.
Last edited by griffRG7321 at Oct 20, 2012,
I thought the general opinion of UG was that scales are overrated anyway....
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
What black magic has risen the dead????????? WE must crucify the satanic offspring that has preformed such unholy acts!!!!!!
Quote by doggy_hat

No. Just no.

G minor is the key center
Quote by The Spoon
Unless you're sure she likes you, telling her you like her has a 110% chance of failing.

But hey, at least you have a 10% chance of absolutely guaranteeing failure.
Quote by GaryBillington
I thought the general opinion of UG was that scales are overrated anyway....
True perhaps, but the TS wanted to know "what key" the song was in, not "which scale to use".

Many answered with a "scale". Since a "scale", is not a "key", it brings to light the more things change, the more they stay the same. The only possible light to guide us out of the abyss of ignorance and abject darkness is, "Da fire in da sky".....

We in a heap o' trouble....
Last edited by Captaincranky at Oct 20, 2012,
Awful post is awful... But this was in 2006. I wondered how people posted this awful stuff and then I read the year 2006. But really, the Db is part of G blues scale. Key: G minor.

If this thread was opened today I would and
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
Awful post is awful... But this was in 2006. I wondered how people posted this awful stuff and then I read the year 2006. But really, the Db is part of G blues scale. Key: G minor.

If this thread was opened today I would and

I never actually look at how old the threads I reply to are (I only ever use the 'New Posts' search), but why the f*** do people bother resurrecting such obviously dead threads?!!

First person who posted today should be reported.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by ron4ik16
Maybe it's too 'effin' late for this,but

i'd say 6 years late is a bit excessive, yes

at least we can use this to laugh at doggy_hat's attempt at contributing and looking intelligent

he hasn't logged on in 4 years, but it's still nice to make fun of, so in actuality, thank you for bumping this thread