I've been playing my bass for a while now with it plugged into the mic port on the computer and looping it through the headphones to play along with music.
I also have a 60W amp that I play through (with RCA inputs and out to headphones).

So basically, I play mostly through headphones (being in a dorm room and all, and I like to keep on good terms with the neighbors) and I want to make a small battery powered amp that I can attach to the bass strap and be able to play without being tethered to a large amp or computer.

I looked online and didn't find much, but found a small low voltage audio amplifier chip (LM386) and got it from radioshack, and built the 'typical application' circuit from the manufacturer.

It technically works, but there is a ton of line noise, high pitched junk even when the bass isn't connected. How do I get rid of the noise?
Try the runoffgroove.com circuits.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Well, if anyone is searching for this topic in the future, I figure it would be nice of me to follow up on what I did...

Thanks to That_Pink_Queen for the link, I went and built the Ruby from runoffgroove.com with the suggested "bassman" modifications and then added a trimpot just before the speaker which when turned to about 100ohm entirely cancelled any noise from the circuit itself.

All the important parts were ordered from mouser.com (caps and resistors, for noise reduction).
It works very well and ended up costing < $20

Cheers,
Chris
Attachments:
bassman.gif
bassmanphoto.jpg
Quote by CShake
Well, if anyone is searching for this topic in the future, I figure it would be nice of me to follow up on what I did...

Thanks to That_Pink_Queen for the link, I went and built the Ruby from runoffgroove.com with the suggested "bassman" modifications and then added a trimpot just before the speaker which when turned to about 100ohm entirely cancelled any noise from the circuit itself.

All the important parts were ordered from mouser.com (caps and resistors, for noise reduction).
It works very well and ended up costing < $20

Cheers,
Chris

Sound clips? Does it sound good or just like a crappy small amp?
No clip that I can hear, but then again I'm only driving earbuds and I haven't tried to turn it up loud enough to give myself hearing damage.

Sounds the same as plugging my headphones into my 60W Behringer amp.
It did have a small amount of background hiss, but I got rid of that with a trimpot.
Glad it hear it worked out. I've got a Ruby for a small guitar amp, sounds nice.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Quote by CShake
No clip that I can hear, but then again I'm only driving earbuds and I haven't tried to turn it up loud enough to give myself hearing damage.

Sounds the same as plugging my headphones into my 60W Behringer amp.
It did have a small amount of background hiss, but I got rid of that with a trimpot.

no, I didnt mean did the signal clip I meant do you have and recordings of the headphone amp?