im startin to wanna get past just playin the guitar and more into the techical stuff...whats a preamp and a poweramp? i see the words thrown around all the time and ive never known what they are
I believe the Pre amp is like the "eq" in simple turms..
it basically "shapes" and "colors" your tone

the power amp basically drives that ssound
through the speakers at a specific wattage and ohms...

thats what i understand for the most part
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
a pre amp is also like in a mixing console board ,so the board can get whatever signal is comming in it ,then it sends the signal after you mix it to the power amp.
Gear
Customized crunked out guitar rig
--1971 Fender Princeton (12")
--H.O.G.
3 customized guitars for the rig
--1999 Martin Jm - Seymour Duncan-SHR1-hotrail
--1998 Martin 000-28EC - Dearmond Humbucker
www.bigkingbud.com
More specifically to guitar.....

Every amp basically features two stages, a Preamp and a Poweramp.

The first stage is the Preamp. The preamp basically determines your sound. It's where the unique tone of the amp is shaped, where the amp EQ is applied, etc.

The second stage is the Poweramp. The poweramp basically does nothing but AMPLIFY the signal that comes from the preamp, so that is strong enough to be run into a speaker to create audible-to-excrutiatingly-loud sound.

All guitar amps, whether in combo or head form, have these two stages. Your guitar plugs into the preamp stage.... your EQ is applied and your tone is forged, and then its passed on to the poweramp to be amplified.... then if the amp is a head, the output of the poweramp will be run to a speaker cab, and if the amp is a combo, it will simply be channeled to the wired speakers.

You can even go after very specific & custom sounds by going to rack equipment, where the preamp and poweramp stages of an "amp" are actually split up into different pieces of equipment. For example, you could have several different rack preamps in a rack channeled to a single poweramp (to give you a variety of unique sounds)... or a few preamps channeled to several poweramps, etc.
Quote by CyBerAliEn
The second stage is the Poweramp. The poweramp basically does nothing but AMPLIFY the signal that comes from the preamp, so that is strong enough to be run into a speaker to create audible-to-excrutiatingly-loud sound.

Unless the power amp is a cranked tube power amp.
^ True... but that's just common sense.

(if you don't know what the hell is going..... a cranked tube power amp makes tone better)