I am trying to set up a good practicing schedule. Seeing as there are others on here who are much more knowledgable than me, I was wondering what would be good. I am willing to devote about three hours daily. As of now, my practice works out something like this:
An hour to scales + memorizing notes across fretboard
An hour to a song
And if in the mood, another hour to writing my own music

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Looking to find the best method here as to increase my skills as quickly as possible with few bad habits.
The times they are a changin'.....
Sounds fine, but its not what I do. I don't practice with a plan, I just do it until I don't want to anymore.Anyways, I'd kill to get 3 hours in and still prepare for exams...
I'd say ^ don't stick with a schedule. Keep everything natural. Work on what you think you need improving on (speed, scales, etc).
Gear:
Black Ibanez RG170
Line 6 Spider II 112
Genius Mind
I don't think you have to be super stirct, but you should split sometime between pacticing pure technique and the other half just messing around and playing songs
"you hear people say, I don't care if people are black, white, green or purple. Ah come on now, green or purple? you've got to draw the line somewere" - Mitch Headburg.
Yeah, I'm about to get a metronome and devote an hour daily to Steve Vai's 10 hour workout. I don't have no time for 10 hours ahahaha.
It's not so much how LONG you practice, but HOW you practice.

I like to have a list of things I'm working on, but I never assign any time limits
to them. I'll work on them until I feel like I'm making some progress. If I'm
not making progress, I try and figure out why. If I'm having a problem while
doing an exercise that's more fundamental than the exercise itself, I'll stop and
work on that little thing.

You might think you'd never get anything done if you tried and fixed every single
little thing that you're having a problem with, but all those little fixes add up over
time.

Anyway, I think time limits make you prone to looking at your watch and trying
to endure the exercise until the time is up. That's not a good way to practice.
Have to agree, no time limit should be set at all. You practice until you've had enough. When I started playing, I use to try to set up a time schedule for practicing. The reason was simple; I wasn't addicted to playing the guitar. Over time, though, you'll soon know if the guitar is right for you. Once you get addicted, a time schedule is out of the question, 'cause they won't exist when it comes to playing!
I only set a time schedule because I get bored just practicing same thing over and over and sometimes get sidetracked and just start jamming. Not because I find it hard to sit down and play, I could do that for hours.
Quote by Italy's Finest
I only set a time schedule because I get bored just practicing same thing over and over and sometimes get sidetracked and just start jamming. Not because I find it hard to sit down and play, I could do that for hours.

if you have to just list out everything you need to work on and then just go down it like a check list, when you've had enough of working on 1, then move to work on 2, and so on. don't set a specific time for them b/c you may spend 10 minutes with #1 and 2 hours for #2.
Not sure if an hour devoted to a song means transcribing, but if not, then I would recommend working in some transcribing (or some form of ear training). Trained ears are very important to getting the sound from your brain to your fingers, and they are often overlooked. See if you can do a tune a day.

And as others have said, having a strict regiment is a bad idea. You should only practice when you want to. Playing when you don't want to is a good way to lose all interest in the instrument.
I don't need no instructions to know how to ROCK!

Just because you can do something does not mean you should.
Strictly adhering to checklists is almost as bad as imposing time limits.

Just to illustrate, I'll give a simple example of how I might go about practicing,
that's a good example of "HOW to practice".

I have a number of exercises I'm working on, My first is straight ascending
a major scale in all positions.

While I'm going through that exercise, I notice I have a lot of difficulty going from
string 2 to string 3. I will isolate just a few of those notes, then go back and
forth over that area slowly looking at what the problem is. I'll go up and down,
over and over getting it smoother and more relaxed. Then, I might try it on
other strings in different positions all over the neck. This may even end up
being all I practice for the day! Next practice, I might start out with it again,
and then go back to the original exercise. If it's something really difficult, it
might even turn into a new exercise I just invented!

So, that's ONE of the concepts of good practice: Isolate the difficulty. When you
ignore or sweep problems under the rug, they never get better. Attack them!