Poll: To slash, or not to slash?
Poll Options
View poll results: To slash, or not to slash?
Do it
24 33%
Don't do it
49 67%
Voters: 73.
Page 1 of 2
Well I saw the new Dunlop Slash Signature Wah online today and I liked the features and now I'm wondering, is it worth getting it? Do you think it will suit my playing style? Or will the Vox wah's be better? (I play a healthy mixture of classic rock, hard rock and blues/jazz btw)

EDIT: Replies would be nice
Huzzah! It is I, S0ulja, the Duke Of Swiss, 3rd member of the Royal order of cheese!

PM Soulfly_freak or sock_demon to join
Last edited by S0ulja23 at May 24, 2006,
Don't do it, get the cry baby 535Q, it gives you flexibility so that you can play any style
Bones, sinking like stones.
Anyone else?
Huzzah! It is I, S0ulja, the Duke Of Swiss, 3rd member of the Royal order of cheese!

What about the Vox V848? You think that'll be better?

Well I'm going for a classic sound

Vox, or modded Crybaby.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
If it looks that interesting to you, try one out.

I'd say go for a Vox, I'm gonna sell my Crybaby soon for some type of Vox wah.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
I personally dont use mine but that Slash wah to Me SOunds like a GCB-95F
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
The Slash wah is like a super 535Q. it has more features me thinks, also has the battery in the treadle. Its a new wah so you'll have to try it out rather than go by reviews on it.
for a vintage sound, def. a 535q, i love mine so much i wish i could have its babies.

....hey, everyone can have there opinion.
Founder of the Trombone>Sax>all club, pm me my fellow 'boners!!

we hit harder than anyone else. Ug's lacrosse club, pm me or hrdcorelaxplaya to join!
I don't think that Slash wah is the same as a 535Q. It only has a volume and gain control, no Q control, and I don't think it's true bypass, or at least it's not listed in the specs. I'd also rather have a built in volume boost than a distortion circuit, I like using my amp for overdrive.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
^x2. It doesn't have a Q control, those silver knobs are for volume and gain.
I'm new to wah's. What on earth is a Q?

^It's a letter in the alphabet.

It could also mean a knob for the range of the wah frequencies.
Don't be afraid to care"

Ahh...But the Vox wah's don't have a Q control either, and that's the only other wah I'm looking into. If it hasn't even come out yet, why so many negative judgements about it (referring to the slash wah)

Because it's expensive for what it is, and it doesn't seem too different from other Dunlop wahs, although we could be proved wrong if someone tries it and really likes it.
Don't be afraid to care"

After reading some reviews on the Dunlop wahs that they have many problems (i.e. switch won't work anymore, it broke) I think I'm gonna get a Vox

EDIT:
Quote by R_H_C_P
although we could be proved wrong if someone tries it and really likes it.

On second thought, I think I'm gonna get it and try it out

^Which Vox?
I'm considering going Vox too, I've had enough of my Dunlop Crapbaby's terrible sound.
Don't be afraid to care"

^I'm really looking into the V848 Clyde McCoy Re-Issue

Exactly what I'm looking into, I need to go and compare a few wah's with eachother first.
It's apparently very vocal, exactly what I'm looking for, something very Hendrixy.
But.... I've heard there's lots of reliabiliy issues from it.
Don't be afraid to care"

Yeah I'm going for that Hendrix-esque sound too...The only reason that I stumbled into the slash wah is cause when I was searching for wahs in Musiciansfriend, I sorted it by customer rating and the slash got a pretty high rating

EDIT: Is there any wah that doesn't have any reliabilty issues?

EDIT: The page I was looking at: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/home/navigation?page=1&N=100001&Ntk=All&Ntt=wah&Nty=1&Ns=P_RatingOverall%7C1
It got an even higher rating than the Clyde!

have you checked out the Budda wah yet? It sounded perfect for the classic rock and blues stuff, very nice smooth vocal quality about it, at least from all the clips I've heard. Make sure you post a review of the Slash if you end up getting it, there are a lot of curious gearheads around here, including me.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
I think I'm gonna gather up all the guts I have and get the Slash. I mean, last time I came and asked UG for help with buying something (My Gibson SG Special Faded) I got mixed results, but when I ended up buying it, I loved it

Any chance you can go to a shop and try before you buy?
If not, hope you like it!
Don't be afraid to care"

Well it doesn't go on stock anywhere til May 26-30 so there's absolutely no chance yet...Also, the closest guitar center where I live is about 45 miles away, so I usually get my stuff online. Although there is another local music store that's closer, I doubt they'll have it in stock. I'll just play it by ear for now (not referring to guitar)

Nah, I still think I'm gonna try it

I think it isn't worth the extra money.
primusfan
It's better with no teeth, trust me. Much fewer scars on my penis now that I've switched from seniors in high school to senior citizens.
i don't think slash even used that wah or one like it...

didn't he use a vox wah system?
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
^ dime wah is just a hotrodded 535Q, and dime used the 525Q so mehh...and i have a 535Q and love it to death, but im getting it modded for true bypass becusae i dont want my signal effected. but i would say 535Q, and if your being retarded only looking at the slash and vox go for the vox methinks
Quote by R_H_C_P
You're joking right?

It's like comparing sex to sticking your penis in a blender.

Quote by bonchie1
i don't think slash even used that wah or one like it...

didn't he use a vox wah system?

No he used a rackmount crybaby

EDIT: Why is everyone trying to convince me to get the 535Q?

Dont get the slash wah... Get a Vox Wah, its sick
Member #5 of the I <3 Schecter's Club-PM Schecter-06 to join
"Member of the Guitarists that wished they could sing because they would make fantastic frontmen club"-Pm Davidian to join
Quote by R_H_C_P
Exactly what I'm looking into, I need to go and compare a few wah's with eachother first.
It's apparently very vocal, exactly what I'm looking for, something very Hendrixy.
But.... I've heard there's lots of reliabiliy issues from it.

The 848 has reliability issues. Basically they all used 847's. Get one and mod it for true bypass, great pedal.
Love in technicolour, sprayed out on walls
Well I've been pounding at the pavement
'Til there's nothing at all
I got my cloak and dagger
In a bar room brawl
See the local loves a fighter
Loves a winner to fall
Quote by S0ulja23
After reading some reviews on the Dunlop wahs that they have many problems (i.e. switch won't work anymore, it broke) I think I'm gonna get a Vox

EDIT:
On second thought, I think I'm gonna get it and try it out

Ya, my 535Q broke or something (it's either the switch or the pot) and i'm thinking of just getting a Tremonti Power Wah or a Bad Horsie.

I do love the sound of the wah though...
i personally think that the crybabys have terrible midrange and sweeps, and the vox tone-parody and honking just doesn't suit me either

before you buy look into a Budda wah, and my personal favorites, the Teese/RMC wahs

http://realmccoycustom.com/

Wizard wah is 175 and great for the money, RMC3 is another buy, but more costly

(the rest are mainly designed just for certain pickup setups etc.)
-Mike
UPDATE: The slash wah has been delayed for since forever and I got a great deal on a Vox V847. Is it any good?

Page 1 of 2