Okay, here's the deal. I've been playing for about a year, and I'm looking to buy myself a decent electric guitar. The one I have is an Aslin Dane SG style, and it's got some issues... I love Gibson guitars, SG's in particular. But I'm just wondering, from those of you who have played them, how much of a difference there is between the SG and the Les Paul. From what I've heard the Paul is better (sustain, versatility, and overall sound). But I like the double cutaway on the SG. So... let me know what your thoughts are, thanx.
I personally don't like either, and I believe if you have $1500-$2500 to spend, you are better off getting a custom made guitar for you. But if you don't want that, I would go with the Les Paul because it has unimaginable sustain, brilliant tone, and great looks.
Well, you can look for a Custom Luthier near you to build you one, or you could get one from Warmoth. I don't know if you'd like Jackson or ESP custom shop guitars but I hear they make some wicked Custom Axes.
Thanks for the advice man, it's much appreciated. I've been to the Warmoth site before, they've got some pretty nice stuff. Decisions, decisions...
Yeah I know how you feel, I really like double cutaway carved top bodies, I want to make my own custom soemday.
Yeah, a self made custom would be sweet... I really wanted to do that, but I figure it might be a good idea to get more of feel for what I like in guitars first.
go out and play 'em dude! theres no substitute. and If your willing to spend that kinda money you should really know what your getting firsthand
from me you will get the SG vote, and IMO these are the reasons:

easier to play in terms of size and neck access
more cutting treble for lead lines
looks amazing

these are just my opinions. that is all.

les pauls are great for sustain and tone, and some are beautiful. you will prob have to play both cos b4 i played a LP i thought i wud love them ,turns out i didnt so much (and that was on a Supreme).

all the best!!!
ACOUSTIC
Martin 0001
Fender Stratacoustic

ELECTRIC
Gibson SG Special Faded (Mod)

AMP/FX
DOD ICE IT 60 Watt
ZOOM 606II Guitar
Quote by stringmagician
go out and play 'em dude! theres no substitute. and If your willing to spend that kinda money you should really know what your getting firsthand

Exactly.

You should go to a shop, and play as many guitars as you can to get a feel for what you want.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30