Ok, i have been playing guitar for a total of 6 months.

Here is my background

15 years old
Played cello and piano to an extremely proficient level
Is a great musician
Played guitar for 6 months
played the classical for 3 months before getting a cheap OEM Ibanez (copy i think)
teacherless and not intending to get one

I have been doodling with the guitar, like playing ALOT of Soad etc.
And now I want to improve and take this to the next level, to make a living out of it when i grow up.

I think the first thing is to learn ALL the notes on the fretboard by heart, because once I do so, I can do ALL scales (I guarantee you, its true) and improvise accordingly.

What else should I do? I mainly stick in drop tuning (perfect fifth on the 5th and 6th strings)

What should I learn? Don't say scales etc. because I can do them ( once i know the fretboard)

Of course, I don't intend to learn the fretboard through scales, I am pretty sure my fingers are strong and independent enough from cello and piano.
i played piano for the better part of my life before picking up a guitar. the fretboard is easy enough to figure out as you said, and its won't be hard to know which note is which after gettin those scales (or even just figuring out notes). my fingers already knew how to move too, but i found picks hard to start with. if you don't like scales or need to focus on them, start with simple guitar songs and work your way up. or, start making up your own.

i went teacherless for guitar too - i actually ended up using old piano books and just transposed my old easy piano songs onto guitar. it helped in some ways and got me more familiar with everything. or, make up songs on the cello or piano then transpose them to guitar, and use the guitar to expand and add new riffs etc....a few notes on the piano can sound sweet on guitar with a few bends and tremors.
Should I get a teacher? I don't think I need one, with such musical backgrounds I possess.

So I have decided to do the 21 day program, practicing everything at dropdead speed with full accuracy (99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999%)

I think the main priority is to learn the fretboard, because I can improvise anything on the piano and cello, but not on guitar, BECAUSE I DON'T KNOW THE NOTES ON THE FRETBOARD.

Once I know the notes, I can do all scales and improvise pretty well.

So instead of waiting for it to happen, I will start learning scales for 21 days at dropdead speed with full accurate tone, 2 hours a day. That way, I will learn the whole fretboard.

However, 1 dilemma

I mostly play tons and tons of metal, and my guitar is in Drop C, should I tune back up to standard, or keep it in Drop C, or tune the low string back to D, so its standard tuning dropped a whole step?
Chords! learn all the open chords and your barre chords and anything else you can find. Under everything the guitar is still mostly a rythm instrument.
^ I love the way this guy thinks. He's damn right though. Guitar is mainly a songwriters tool. Don't become to obsessed with emulating *insert name of guitar hero*. Find your own style. I think you should do just great 'cause you have all that knowledge behind you.
WHY DID I BECOME A HOBO!?

Currently playing - Bioshock (360) Forza 2 (360) Mario Kart (Wii) and some CoD4 (360)
Threadstarter: you may need to get off your high horse a bit. Your piano and
and violin background will help you out theory-wise depending on how much
you actually know. You should also know from that, how important good
technique skills are. With only 6 months on the guitar, technique practice is
probably the main thing you should be learning.

I had about 10 years on piano before picking up guitar. It was
very little help in actually learning to play the guitar.

Memorizing the fretboard is highly dependent on what it is you want to do. Of
course, knowing more is always good, but don't even begin to think it will solve
the guitar for you. If you need to read sheet music and play classical, memorizing
is critical. You can't do without it. If you want to be a rock solo improvisor,
memorizing the fretboard is almost entirely unnecessary. I mostly do
improvisation (30 years on guitar) and I can tell you NO ONE thinks in note
names when they improvise. It's all shapes and patterns within scales and
your fingers knowing how to make the movements. It's also knowing where
relative scale degrees are and intervals -- not absolute note names.

If you want to memorize the fretboard in order to figure out the scales, that's
fine. But, if you ask me, that's a totally tedious way of doing it (unless you want
to read sheet music or play classical). Published all over the place are the
standard finger positions for any scale you want. That's really the best stuff
to learn for improv.

For technique the best place in the world to go is www.guitarprinciples.com
edg, you mean cello and piano ^^

These are very helpful comments and I really appreciate your help.

Keep the comments rolling in! Help me become a better guitar player
lol! I pretty much have a similar background to you (I play piano and know the fretboard etc.) and I thought I didn't need a teacher. However, guess what I decided to try out a teacher for one lesson and boy did I have some work to do! Seriously, get a teacher - a good one, and it will pay off. You probably will ignore this and in fact I expect you to as I did, but if you do decide to take my advice, go and get lessons from a good teacher (if they are crap it won't make a difference) and I guarantee you won't regret it...
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Now i bet people are gonna stick "i remember when comeback road diead" in their sigs
(ok, ego time)

Heck, if those rock stars out there can do it, why can't I/

Damn, I got school, so 10 hours a day is out of the question, perhaps 3 to 4
If you're bragging,you're never BE a good musician.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
A really GOOD teacher might be pretty hard to find. I have yet to find one and I'm
pretty much all self-taught.

I'm almost 100% sure of this: how ALL great self-taught guitarists got great was
mostly ONE thing. They may have had above average natural talent, but that's
not it. They had good instinct for knowing HOW to practice. That's it! Pretty
simple isn't it? Yet, it takes a LOT of discipline to do it right.

Here's an example.

I'm trying to learn a solo from a song. One section is played fast using a
complicated sequence of hammer-ons and pull-offs. There's no WAY I can it
play it that fast. I slow it down and try to play it slowly. I notice that there's
a 3 note sequence that gives me a lot of trouble even slowly. I take only those 3
notes, I play them back and forth. Again and again. I play similar things with
different fingerings. I take the major scale and using the same pattern I
play it up and down the neck. In fact, I've just invented a new exercise!
I might work on it for days, weeks, even months. But, a some point I will be
TOTALLY comfortable playing those notes. Second nature.

If it's physically possible, you CAN play anything given enough time. And you
have LOTS of time. A life time in fact to get it right.

You might think it would take forever to learn anything that way -- if you had
to stop and practice some small thing everytime you had a difficulty. Well, it
may be slow going at first. But these things build up. You successfully tackle
one problem, and the next problem you find is a bit easier. And so on, and so on.
At some point you're making rapid progress on a number of different fronts.

So, the key is practice. You'll pretty much ALWAYS know what you need to
practice. The stuff that gives you the most trouble!
You don't need to know all the notes to know how to improv, just a scale and where all the keys are.

Improvs not hard to play and doesn't need much practice to play, but to make it good, it needs practice and creativity. You need to know the scale shape real well, and you need to know how to target the root notes, and how to move around the fretboard helps too. You have to remember to think while you improv, not just play notes. Think "what would sound good after this note?" for every note, and play it. And, of course, have fun! Make up something cool and have a good time playing it.
Last edited by CowboyUp at May 29, 2006,
Ok, sorry for my bragginess and egoness.

I didn't become a very proficient cellist or pianist by bragging, but by actually learning and knowing that there is a lot for me to learn, like life.

So instead of learning the fretboard, So i will start the 21 day programme in half a months time.

While then I will just play and doodle more like the past 6 months.

After that, in 21 days I will report my progress.

While then, lets keep the comments rolling in, help me become a better guitarist!

if there are enough good comments here, it can actually hit the archives of best threads!