I change my strings about once a year, it all depends on how much oil and sweat one gets from there hands, which varies from player to player and the type of strings used.
^Wow.....thats a tad ridiculous. I change probably every two months, but it's alot harder on me because of the sixer......a new set is usually $60 or so. Luckily, I just found out rondomusic.net carries strings for six string basses at $20 a pack (for the other six string bassists on this site).
around a year :-/
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
yeah i agree with Bumper, you are sacrificing so much tone if you leave your strings on for that long. That said, if you like the tone then i guess it's fine, but you are not hearing your bass how your bass should sound ! When you change it will sound weird, but in actual fact correct. Change them boyo!!

Oh, and never throw your old ones away, trust me they come in handy !
my Ibanez still has the elixers from when i got it back in Septmeber. The E is starting to get a little duller, but the rest sound pretty clean. My old Peavey, i haven't bought new strings for it in something like 9 months, but i have boiled them once.

There is no set amount of time, some like sounds that you can get off duller strings, some just take care of them and don't need to change.
Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.
Every 10 years or so.
Member of UG's Keyboardists club. PM 4string-tsurigi to join.

Jimbo Wallace of the Godlike, Archaic, But Sexy Instrument Players. PM me to join.
Can you put strings back on that you've already had on and taken off?

(Obviosuly it's possible but would it sound alright?)
Musicman Stingray 3EQ
^ They would sound the same as when you took them off if you kept them in a suitable place (probably a container).

Change mine every 3 - 4 months, unless I have a gig/performance and my strings are wearing out quicker.
last ones where on my bass for a little over 9 months, it's amazing the difference they made when i changed them, probrably do it more often now. maybe every 4 months or so.
Quote by slayaplaya

(oh! maybe some one will sig that witty comment! maybe not...)
18 months but i think this set is on its last legs, lost all internation on the G string and have to keep tunign it up every 20 mins or so not. Got one gig left in em and ill think ill change em

got a 5 string so its 22 quid a set but if anyone knows anywhere cheaper share the info please
Sadly, the ones I got on now are about 5-6 months old. They sound like pieces of **** but really, I cant afford new ones at the moment.
Spector Legend 4 Custom
Ashton AB-2
Dunlop 105Q Crybaby
Ibanez PD7 Overdrive
SWR LA 15 (dead)
Gallien-Krueger 700RB-II
Gallien-Krueger Neo 212
I think the longest I've had them was about 10 months. But now I change them every 3 months. Just had a change yesterday.
Quote by Applehead

Oh, and never throw your old ones away, trust me they come in handy !

Yeah... I keep mine, and date them. I tend to keep two sets. I use the newer ones, and if someone asks me for a spare bass string, I give them the older ones.
Quote by Bumper
^Wow.....thats a tad ridiculous. I change probably every two months, but it's alot harder on me because of the sixer......a new set is usually $60 or so. Luckily, I just found out rondomusic.net carries strings for six string basses at $20 a pack (for the other six string bassists on this site).

I LOVE YOU BUMPER!!!!!!!!!

*goes off to rondomusic for a new set of 6 strings*
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
Last edited by XeNoCiDe730 at May 24, 2006,
I'm at five months with these strings. I always keep them clean and everything like that, so these are lasting me out a lot longer.
once every 2 months but I haven't changed them since I got my Bongo cause I loved the strings but wanted to know what kind they were (I bought used). And now I know, and its a matter of ordering them.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Quote by XeNoCiDe730
I LOVE YOU BUMPER!!!!!!!!!

*goes off to rondomusic for a new set of 6 strings*

I love you too.
The strings on my old bass are about a year and a half old now. What's kinda funny is they're still in really good condition but the ones on my newer bass (five months maybe) are starting to rust already.
Rock and roll made me a nympho

"Life should be graded on a pass or fail basis..."-Spencer

I love you...whoever you are...
Quote by ANGERisaGIFT
Every couple months. Walmart sells 4-string bass strings for 10 bucks now.

WTF? I've seen that they sell GHS, but are these like the WAL MART brand...
Almost 2 years, then I put a set of Blue Steels on that baby and it blew my face off :P
Proud Member Of The Bass Militia

PM Nutter_101 To Join
I'm genuinly surprised that no one noticed when I said 10 years.

(*Drumroll*)

Thats how you make flatwounds.
Member of UG's Keyboardists club. PM 4string-tsurigi to join.

Jimbo Wallace of the Godlike, Archaic, But Sexy Instrument Players. PM me to join.
Quote by IndieMetalhead
around a year :-/

Yep!!! My first bass strings. Old, worn out fender strings on my Squire that had been on my bass from December until February

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
MY current DR High Beam LR-40 strings have lasted 6 months now
Ibanez SR400
Ampeg BA112
Digitech Whammy WH-4 > Boss NS2 Noise Gate, NS2 Send (Boss GEB7 Bass EQ) NS2 Return > Boss CEB3 Bass Chorus > Ampeg BA112