Hey, i've not had my Ibz SR506 long. It plays nicely, makes me use my fingers to play instead of a pick too :P I've just learn't John Myungs solar groove

One problem, it seems to buzz on my 18th fret on strings 2, 3, 4, and 5. Wondering how I could fix this problem as the high frets dont buzz i.e 19 to 24, and the lower frets 17 to open to buzz either...

Hmm...
Turn your tone down? ... or maybe possibly you're not putting enough pressure on the string.

Or.. why the hell are you playing on the 18th frett in the first place?
my action is high... too high for me atm. i push down hard enough alright too, my other frets are fine. why not my 1st and 6th strings buzz?
Check the neck. If it is warped at all it could be the problem.

EDIT: I too have an Ibanez and I get fret buzz on the 6th, only on the E-string, there is nothing I can do about other than raising the action too high. I just try to avoid playing that fret whenever I can.

EDIT 2:
Quote by WashBurn!
Or.. why the hell are you playing on the 18th frett in the first place?

...ever heard of soloing?
Last edited by the_dasonator at May 24, 2006,
either the action / truss rod isn't set right - thus causing some warping, or maybe something has hit the strings and bent them in one spot?? (just guessing).
Quote by 4string-tsurigi
or the fret is too high or something.

This seems the most likely cause to me. All other explanations don't account for the fact that the problem occurs on just one spot. You can check this out by holding an object that has a straight edge (like a short ruler) over the suspect fret and those on either side of it. If this theorie is right, the edge of the ruler will touch the 18th fret, but skip the tops of the frets right next to it. If the ruler is short enough, it will clearly wobble with the 18th fret being the pivot point of this movement.
If this test shows positive (and you feel comfortable enough to wield some potentially destructive tools on your precious instrument) remove the strings, lay the guitar on its back on a firm surface and tap the culprit gently back in its place with a soft hammer (or a regular hammer and a block of wood to soften the blows) Make sure the neck is well supported right underneath the place where you're working and that the backside of the body is protected against scratching. This will most likely solve the problem.
If gentle tapping doesn't seem to work, don't use more force but switch to plan B; removing and replacing the bad fret.
I don't see how a raised 18th fret can cause fretbuzz on the 18th fret. If its raised, the string will be further away from the fretboard, and have MORE clearance over the subsequent frets - it doesn't make any sense to me.

The 19th fret could be raised a bit, so you don't have enough clearance. Or the 18th could be too low, which seems more likely to me since if the 19th is raised I'd expect fretbuzz on the 17th fret, too. If the 18th fret is too low, I don't know if there's much you can do personally unless you're very comfortable with working on your own bass.
Computer programmers are loopy.
- That's one of my own!
don't play on the 18th fret man, wtf are u doing :P

nah im just joking

It could either be:
-The neck
-The String
-The fret itself
-quite possibly your amp, dont rule that one out
-Your tone
-You

try fixing each one
do you know that tool that has like 8 diffrent sized keys? use that and screw clock wise or counter click wise it adjusts the action and the height of the string lol or whatever
Ok guys, thanks for your responses. I will take a look tomorrow when I get home tomorrow.

Just odd about those strings on ONE fret...
Quote by Junkstuff1
I don't see how a raised 18th fret can cause fretbuzz on the 18th fret. If its raised, the string will be further away from the fretboard, and have MORE clearance over the subsequent frets - it doesn't make any sense to me.

The 19th fret could be raised a bit, so you don't have enough clearance. Or the 18th could be too low, which seems more likely to me since if the 19th is raised I'd expect fretbuzz on the 17th fret, too. If the 18th fret is too low, I don't know if there's much you can do personally unless you're very comfortable with working on your own bass.

True enough. Somehow I understood that the string buzzes on the 18th fret, while XiXora probably means that the buzzing occurs while playing the 18th fret, in which case the buzzing will be caused by a raised fret further up the neck. Never mind. The ruler test will show.
Hey, home now, that ruler (allen key in my case ) trick was cool. My 19th fret is indeed not slotted properly.

Well done to Mercel for being the first one to find that out. Either, I dont solo or fix the fret.

Tomorrow, i will look though my tools to try and tap it into place or I will probably need to goto a music shop to get it fixed... shame my local music shop is at uni... i'm home now
This happened to my Fender Jazz bass last week. I had to change my strings and file down the frets that had the buzzing. If you bring it to a guitar store, it should cost about 40 dollars. I would recommend having a professional doing it. With your case, I doubt it's the action or the rod.