Hi... I'm about to buy a 1977 Greco Speedway from a guy for the equivalent of about US$130. I don't have a pic, but it looks like a Les Paul double cutaway, set neck, natural finish all over. It had a serial number and trademark plates stuck all over. I had held it and it feels solid and heavy, with a thin-nish body contoured that feels modern. I didn't have a chance to play it with an amp, but when I held it against my ear and played it, it doesn't sound bad at all.

I tried Googling and searching here and all I get are names of roads. Anyone here has any experience with Speedways? Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I got hold of pics. The "Greco" logo is unusual, I think. There are more stuff at the back of the headstock that I didn't get a pic of.

Last edited by inigo at May 24, 2006,
I think it looks pretty cool, all vintage and such. I hope it sounds good.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
For $130, get it. Those old Grecos were awesome guitars. It's not the best lookign gutiar around, but I'm sure it feels and plays like a dream And it's a neck thru, not set neck. Big difference there.

I'd hit that shìt if I could.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Quote by Crunchmeister
For $130, get it. Those old Grecos were awesome guitars. It's not the best lookign gutiar around, but I'm sure it feels and plays like a dream And it's a neck thru, not set neck. Big difference there.

I'd hit that shìt if I could.

Yeah... I realized that it was a neck thru too. I am told that the tone is heavenly fat, and the split coil tone is very coke-in-can.

I am definitely getting this one.

I agree that it looks kinda off... so I'm planning to put a transparent black finish on it, around the body and along the back of the neck. I'm imagining some sort of varnish that'll color it black and still show the wood grain. I'm still figuring out how to color the headstock... I wanna keep the original decals and serial numbers.

Thanks guys.
you could take pics of/retype the logos in paint or some sort of comp program, then print them out and once you stain the guitar, put them on, then clear coat it.
Dude, I think that think looks damn ace. The only thing I dislike, and even that is slightly, are the pickup covers. It looks like the rings and the covers are only one piece.
Btw, are those normal humbuckers or something else?
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.
Quote by jmag
Dude, I think that think looks damn ace. The only thing I dislike, and even that is slightly, are the pickup covers. It looks like the rings and the covers are only one piece.
Btw, are those normal humbuckers or something else?

I know what you mean, man. It's the first time I've seen those too. I think these are humbuckers, but boutiques, if ever. They look as weird as some GFS in Guitarfetish. Let's just wish that these sound real good. If these pups sound bad, I'm thinking SD Custom Custom and Pearly Gates.

Quote by Metallica32791

you could take pics of/retype the logos in paint or some sort of comp program, then print them out and once you stain the guitar, put them on, then clear coat it.

Good idea. I could do that for the front (one with "Greco" written). At the back, on the farthest part of the headstock, the serial number's printed on the wood. Then, below that, there's a plate stuck saying "Greco Speedway" or something. I'm thinking a faded stain at the back, so I don't have to touch the number.

Now I have to learn how to stain properly. Hahaha.

After the stain, there's replacing the bridge (it's pretty corroded) and getting a tuning knob (there's one missing) and a head for the pup switch.

After much patience, I still haven't seen any mention of a Greco Speedway on the net, at least not through Google (which is pretty much everything, really) This thread may be a first. Well, at least the first one NOT in Japanese. It turns out that are actually Greco groups in Japan, and they're loving their lawsuit guitars. Wish we had that many in my country tho.
They look like humbucking soapbars.
I'd get it if I could, and I think you should too.
Quote by DispsablePuppet
drill a hole in the side of your guitar, and make sweet love to the beautiful instrument. twice.

I dig the pretty colors in your eyes.
Please don't change anything unless it's broken, it looks nice the way it is.