Im possibly going to join a band but i dont know if im ready to play in one yet. What kind of things to i need to know to be able to play and what skill do i really need to have? Ive been playing about a year but the some of the band members are more accomplished such as the bassist who is quite an accomplished bassist. Any tips would be great!
It doesn't really matter about your ability. As long as you and your band mates can work well together within your own limits, you'll function well in a unit.
Quote by bjoern_swe
my mom found me sitting in the kitchen, eating Corn Flakes from the floor. when she asked me what I was doing, I just roared at her and ran up to my room.

George Foreman Grill Appreciation Society
It's good to jam with other players, you'll learn things off them so it's a pretty good idea
You really don't need impressive skills to play in a band. As long as you at least know how to play, you'll be fine
I'd say to just look at scales and such as they'll help when you're playing together and just jamming to come up with little riffs and solos that you can use in your songs.

Also start looking more at structure of songs.
Last edited by Sir Edwin CBE at May 24, 2006,
depends on what you wanna play

like if u wanted to play punk rock you wouldnt have to be too good but if you wanted to play shred then youd need a bit more skill
Emm well they play modern and classic rock and stuff such as metallica, black sabbath, and just general rock. The only problem i think ill have is that i find it difficult to make myself learn songs. I start learning one and get distracted and end up learning only bits and pieces of songs.
Quote by markoos
Emm well they play modern and classic rock and stuff such as metallica, black sabbath, and just general rock. The only problem i think ill have is that i find it difficult to make myself learn songs. I start learning one and get distracted and end up learning only bits and pieces of songs.

you'll find it gets easier when you actually have people to play the songs with.
Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.
Quote by ToolBass_dude
you'll find it gets easier when you actually have people to play the songs with.

definantly.........when my band jams i always end up forgetting about everything and just playing stuff i could never do with just a looper.....you get that feeling that you just cant mess up even if u try
Just go with the flow. A band is a band and works as a team. All you need is timing, the songs and the ability to get along.

Just because you cant play advanced doesnt mean the band isnt good. Sometimes the simplest things sound the best.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
If you know what songs you're going to be playing, try to find Guitar Pro files for them. This will help simulate a band setting and make it easier to learn and play through a complete song.

But as stated above, your overall skills don't need to be that great. The ability to play in time is probably the biggest thing that will make or break a band. Try to stay in your comfort range and rock the hell out of a song no matter how simple it is. Your audience won't know how technically hard a song is and honestly, it doesn't matter as long as it sounds solid.
^ and sometimes they sound like greenday

But yeah, as long as you have the basic techniques down and can stay in time then you should be fine
id sig you but i have no room lol. so ill just bow down to your username

deg0ey
Member of UG Irish Clan: Póg mo thóin