Hi there, i wonder if any of you guys can help me.

I've been playing guitar for a few years now, but my technique has not improved at all. I wonder if you can help me improve my technique, so that i can shred just like all my heroes!!! I can play alot of good songs, master of puppets etc, but none of them sound quite like the real version. Help Please!!!
best advice is to practice...but u know that

2nd best advice is to look at the same old damn thing different. stand on your head and play. just don't ALWAYS do the same thing. and remeber to just mess around some times. dont always have a goal try making an open shaped "C" chord around the 6th fret, and picking thru it. now add a finger. change a note. make the top a power chord and leave the bottom the same.

learn the notes on the fretboard (where else ;P) so you can jump around the neck and stay in the same key. like find every single G.

if kirk hammet does 12-14-15-12-15. just do that about a million times til you are sick of it. learn a completly different song then go back to it.
Now maybe u'll see that section a little different.

Biggest way I improve my technique. (and i've played guitar for less time then you have) is to do somthing to death, do a 180 degree or a 245 turn. play somthing unrelated and then clear your mind and just mess around with the original idea again.

and now for another complete 180. make sure u try everything. don't limit yourself. learn somthing u hate doing. like "add9" chords. then try and take what u learned there and put it back into the powerchords, or scales.

when u open up UG's mainpage there is a section on the right for featured tabs. nwo usually this is some song or band i've never heard of. and i open the tabs and play it.
i have no idea how it is supposed to sound and just a vague idea of the timing. but it gives me a new way to look at guitar.

These are mostly concepts to get your creative juices flowing, but a good split between: trying to be original / learnign how the greats do it / and just learning the neck and how the whole thing jigsaws together.

anyway hope this give u inspiration
e -------15^1-
b ----13-------
g -14----------
quality over quantity. get it right. then get it fast.
e -------15^1-
b ----13-------
g -14----------
i see that people whose playing doesn't improve, have their fundamental techniques wrong. Get it right. Things like what's the best left hand position, using all your left hand fingers, right hand position, alternate picking, etc etc...

Almost always, the right technique is harder at first. It can even hurt at first. But that's only at first, you'll make progress real fast when you get them right. Remember you NEED to get the fundamental techniques totally right in order to make any progress in playing. No matter how ****ty it may seem to get back to those basics, it's really the only way if you haven't got them down already.

I have been playing for 2 years now, and, even though i don't like to blow my own trumpet, I can both play rock and classical guitar real good. I've been surprising myself with how quick I learn it. That's because I got the technique in the beginning right. And I especially used the first few lessons of this free guitar method:

http://www.zentao.com/guitar/guitar-lessons.html

Especially "LESSON ONE" (and the sublessons of it) is good for the techniques.
Last edited by livefortoday at May 24, 2006,
Slow down, get it perfect, speed up.
With MoP for example, when I learnt it I spent a good few weeks at about about 180bpm (the original is 220 I believe) making sure my timing was tight and stuff. Perfect timing is very important thing in that song and in thrash in general, and (not just with timing) you have to start off slow if you want to be able to hold it together when you're going fast.
Quote by livefortoday
i see that people whose playing doesn't improve, have their fundamental techniques wrong. Get it right. Things like what's the best left hand position, using all your left hand fingers, right hand position, alternate picking, etc etc......

Oh man, that's so boring. Just learn songs you like. Whay make it hard and boring?
Play whatever way is comfortable for you. Don't let anyone tell you how to play.
Doing all those stoopid exercises is so mechanical and unnatural. It's all about
music and feeling. Hendrix didn't have to do any dumb exercises and he didn't
know any theory either.

Haha. Just kidding.

That post is totally right. If you're not making any progress, you aren't practicing
right. It is as simple (and as difficult) as that. Take a good hard look at how
you're practicing. Goto www.guitarprinciples.com and read some of the free
stuff there about practice. Is your practice like that? If it's not, you should make
it like that and I can 100% guarantee you WILL make progress. Buy the book.
It's well worth it.