I think being the bassist in a band is kind of a punishment. They are acutally in time out, which is why they have to stay in the corner.
Not all bassits sit around in the back. I am out front with my lead singer and backup guitarist. I get the crowd going more than anyone else in my band. But I guess you probably assume that all bassist sit in the back because their instrument isn't heard as loud as the guitarist or the vocals.
Fender Jazz Bass
Squire Stratocaster
Yamaha RBX 170(Custom Paint)
Yamaha MagicStomp
Dunlop MXR Distortion +
Morley Dual Bass Wah
Peavey Basic 112
well...beats me. i don't really like a ton of attention. it depends on my mood on what i do onstage. sometimes i'm super hyper or something and jump off of amps, sometimes i just stand there and play. it depends.
...hey...
Quote by biffen
I think being the bassist in a band is kind of a punishment. They are acutally in time out, which is why they have to stay in the corner.

You know nothing.
Quote by ACG

In conclusion, I'm gay.

Mud Sergeant of the Primus Sucks Club. PM StratEnRegalia to join.

"Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join."
Quote by biffen

in my band we argue over who gets to be bassist (2 people actually want to be bassist that is)

but i'm obviously better

anyway i don't sit at the back.
Quote by slayaplaya

(oh! maybe some one will sig that witty comment! maybe not...)
Okay, so this could probably be a candidate for "Most Retarded Questions Asked" on this forum. I don't stand around in the back. I usually have to hang around the singer, cause im the back-up vocalist. If I do hang back, its so I can easily lock into a groove with the drummer, which is what you are probably thinking of when asking why we stand in the back; cause the drummer is too.
Once you get to the top, the only way to go is down.
yeah, me and back used to argue who would play bass bach in the early 1600's he would always throw cranberry pies at me for not shutting up =*(
I know this bassist...he's just terribly afraid of being on stage.He just sits back because of that...anyway he's not the only artist that is actually afraid to be on stage.
Quote by Johnnyboy66
Maybe you just suck at the guitar?

Quote by dudeman_andy
feed a pigeon bicarbonate of soda, let it swell up for a while. then feed it to the dogs and

BOOM head shot!

(pigeons explode after having bicarbonate of soda, they cant fart. stupid pigeons.)
Because either:

1) the bassist doesn't wanna stay up front
2) the guitarist and singer are taking all the glory
3) the band thinks it looks best that way

Some guitarists stay back, and it's just what the bassist does sometimes... this is a stupid thread though...
i dont stand back at all...im right up front. I sing along with the guitarist and when im not singing im either jumping off the stage and moshing (while still playing, and no i dont miss much of the riffs) or im rocking the **** out. We stick the keyboardist in the back with the drummer cuz he's shy as all hell and the guitarist is too busy playing and being lead singer to do much...so its up to me to get the crowd involved, and ppl usually love our shows.
I always make sure I'm part of the show. I'm usually jumping around in the front or mouthing the words to the song. Standing in the back is not cool.
trolling. closed.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!