Ok so this was my first guitar bought in a starter pack around 5 years ago now, I find the fretboard really fast to play on compared to my mim strat and gibson sg std so I was thinking about upgrading it abit.

I was just wondering exactly what was the best way to go about it, pickups seem the obvious option ..but how much would it impact on tone and would EMG's fit in ? (bridge and neck humbuckers with single coil in between)

im looking for it to just have a nice metal tone , so EMG's seem a clear option however what alternative pickups are there ? and what else could I do to improve the guitar ?

ultimately id like to know if its worth it , as I have no clue how much of a difference can be made to such a cheap starter guitar

lots of questions i know thanks in advance for help
Considering the body isn't made out of a very good wood, active pickups would be the prime choice. An active pickup would almost eliminate the woods job in the tone which would make the guitar sound a lot better. EMG 85/81/60 and all that lol check those out. Maybe add some nice tuners, grovers or schaelers whichev, i'm betting those two upgrades would make a big diff.
Quote by jsxxx
Considering the body isn't made out of a very good wood, active pickups would be the prime choice. An active pickup would almost eliminate the woods job in the tone which would make the guitar sound a lot better. EMG 85/81/60 and all that lol check those out. Maybe add some nice tuners, grovers or schaelers whichev, i'm betting those two upgrades would make a big diff.

Actually, I think that EMGs are the pickiest sounding pickups ever. They don't really live up to thier potential, unless they're in a mahogany body going into a tube amp. They sound good through other woods, but sound bad in cheap woods such as Agathis and Cheap Alder.
Quote by GiantRaven
I'm sure theres a Nigerian king just waiting for you to reply to his email
Yeah im in the progress of upgrading a yamaha erg 121, i put one new pickup in the bridge and it sounds so much better, (the pickup was a wierd fairly cheap one off) it really makes a much nicer sound now. Everyone is harsh on this guitar but i like it, Ive also put one a floyd rose from ebay there are loads being sold for £60 there if you post a reply asking for how to do this Ill tell you and give you some links. I've just starting making the singlecoil into a humbucker. I will replace the final pickup and then maybe put an Ibanez wizard neck on it (compensating for the two extra frets).
Jsxxxxxx is an idiot, the body is made of agathis which is a fairly high quality tonewood. Also he suggests that you put in an active emg,
but you have to put in entirely active pickups cos they need special wiring and
tone/volume pots. One of the "active" pickups he names isnt active (the emg 60) also buying new tuners is a crap idea my tuners are really high quality! is that enough advice for you?
I thought the body was made of basswood... so I've heard basswood + EMG = BAD but some say its good

I also own this guitar and I love it... I might be upgrading it someday but as of now I'm happy with it cuz this guitar rocks!
Hi MUMBLE MONSTER....i need to ask u that....how can u make a single coil into a humbucker...and please tell me how should i make my yamaha erg 121 into a cool customized guitar with great sound....if it helps i only play metal riffs and solos...no classic or blues......
Quote by Iccus
Ok so this was my first guitar bought in a starter pack around 5 years ago now, I find the fretboard really fast to play on compared to my mim strat and gibson sg std so I was thinking about upgrading it abit.

I was just wondering exactly what was the best way to go about it, pickups seem the obvious option ..but how much would it impact on tone and would EMG's fit in ? (bridge and neck humbuckers with single coil in between)

im looking for it to just have a nice metal tone , so EMG's seem a clear option however what alternative pickups are there ? and what else could I do to improve the guitar ?

ultimately id like to know if its worth it , as I have no clue how much of a difference can be made to such a cheap starter guitar

lots of questions i know thanks in advance for help

What kind of amp do you have?
Quote by jsxxx

+25 Level up!!

Truth if I've ever heard it. I would mod this guitar. I started out with a Yamaha EG112
and this thing wouldnt die. One pickup jb welded to the pick guard..Another tied in
with a shoe lace..a tuner that would lock if you didnt tilt it as u turned it..and it still played fine. It was battered..but it looked pretty cool..lol

Quote by Chimaira
Actually, I think that EMGs are the pickiest sounding pickups ever. They don't really live up to thier potential, unless they're in a mahogany body going into a tube amp. They sound good through other woods, but sound bad in cheap woods such as Agathis and Cheap Alder.

I wouldnt say that...Id say they dont really live up to their potential if you dont crank
them up in a tube amp. It's a nice combination of the Amp and the pickups sounding better the louder they get. The tonal qualities of wood can be described in detail..but they cant labeled as "bad sounding." Two players that love two different types of wood on opposite ends of the spectrum..most likely EQ their gear totally different. Sometimes I like Basswood with compression for rhythm because of the sharp crunch. With certain effects Mahogany has more dimension..like flanger and such. However Mahogany hasnt gotten Uni-vibe rave reviews..Alder did it.

oh yeah TS..You can always put them in somethin better if you chose in the future.
EMG's have a quick connect with a female and a male end...so you can get something with passive EMG's and its a very simple swap.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Jun 19, 2009,