I want to get into guitarring but don't know what guitar to choose or how or why. I am into metal (the heavier the better!), but don't know if getting the cheapest piece of crap I can find until I become a bit proficient in it and then upgrade, or going for something dcent to start with.

How do guitars compare and how do I find out which one is the best for me?

Thanks a lot!

Paco.
If you want metal go with a jackson or esp, you can pick up a decent beginner guitar for 300 canadian,

js30rhoads or esp f-50

I'd go for one of those two unless you're gonna spend more $
March 19 1982 THE DAY THE MUSIC DIED

R.I.P Randy Rhoads guitar god
Yeah for metal most guitars are good begginer ones just make sure you get one with humbuckers as they are a must for metal. Some brands you could try are Ibanez, Yamaha, Epiphone
^I'm assuming none.

Get a Marshall MG 15 watt thing, it's THE practise amp, I used it (and still do!) as practise amp.

And as far as guitars go, an Ibanez RG321.
Mmm, waste of money if you ask me.

You cannot get a good tone out of an amp under 600 bucks, the MG does where he's good at, being a practise amp, and only 120 bucks as well.
i second the roland or vox for a starter amp, you cant really beat them for a first amp. As for a guitar erm how much are you willing to spend on one?
If you want to do the heavy stuff then any guitar with decent humbuckers would do unless you want to get precise, for a beginner i dont think diving straight into jacksons or esps, even if they do rock, but try with another lower brand of guitar because if you end up hopeless you wont be as bothered about spending the money but if you spend £1000 on one straght away you'll miss it, so go with something like an epiphone flying V or dean or something like that.
honestly, it doesn't matter what guitar you have. Trust me, you don't want to be the tard that can play smoke on the water on a $3000 guitar. I'd say get an ibanez, they have good reliability for most types of music, but don't cost too much.
Dickless.
Maybe an Ibanez as long as it has humbuckers it'll probably be fine.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
Quote by Master Of Shred
the MG does where he's good at,

...being a total piece of ****?
A Washburn guitar and a Marshall MG15DFX.

For the guitar, look at the Washburn WI14 and X12. Both are nice guitars. They don't suck ass either-you'll keep playing them even when you're better at guitar. I have a WI14 and love it.

The Marshall MG15DFX is great for a practice amp. Much better than the others I've tried. It's also not very expensive. I've found them for under $100. You could get that and one of the Washburns for under $300.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
I disagree, I really dislike the MG series, but everyone's entitled to an opinion.
lol are u serious?? he just starting to play the electric guitar. his sttarter should atleast be at 300 none above....

Ibanez RG321 sounds good to me. And a marshall mg since ur starter and dont know tone yet. Or yet get a vox 15 ad. that should do to.
[img]http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9672/stevevaisigver24vf.jpg[/img]
Just an influence.
Yamaha Pacifica 112 along with a Roland Micro Cube.
The guitar is the best for beginners and it has humbucker so you can play your metal. The Micro Cube is better than any amp in that price rage.
£200 for the lot on www.gak.co.uk which is an absolute bargain
Jackson RR5
Epiphone LP Standard
Ibanez S370
Marshall JCM 800 4103 Combo
Roland Cube 60
Washburn makes some great cheap guitars. Try ebay. For amp i'd say a microcube. Cheap and easy to carry around which is good for a practice amp.
I learned with a canglewood. It may not be heavy metal but It really helped me learn.
I know that MG's aren't the best amps ever. They're practice amps. That's why I recommended it.

Also, doesn't the Vox AVT15 need a speaker change?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Budget please.
Jackson SLSMG Soloist (JB/Jazz)
Roland Micro Cube

Member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join.
Here's a splendid idea!
Get an acoustic first, learn how to play, then get into Electric. That's what I (and many musicians I know) have done.
Quote by Master Of Shred
^I'm assuming none.

Get a Marshall MG 15 watt thing, it's THE practise amp, I used it (and still do!) as practise amp.

And as far as guitars go, an Ibanez RG321.
How is that guitar, I was thinking of getting one as my second axe.
its pretty good but if its gonna be your second extend your budget and you could always get better
all these people that are telling you to get an expensive guitar, dont. you dont need it. ive been playing for about a year and ive progressed awesomely on my cheap Epiphone Special Les Paul II (www.epiphone.com)... i also play metal with it (trivium, avenged sevenfold, etc.) it has dual humbuckers. the only thing is, my frets get alot of buzz, so i would get them checked out before purchase. after about a year you will be ready to advance to a new guitar, as i am...i recently got a schecter c1 elite, much much different. if youre rich, get something like that. but if not go with a cheap epiphone.
Epiphone LP special II
-Duncan Designed pu's
Schecter c-1 Elite
-Neck:PAF Pro
-Bridge: Steve's Special
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
Peavey studio pro 112 65 watt
Ampeg 50 watt
I can't really say that any electric guitar I've ever fooled with has been completely unsuitable for metal. Given your status as an entry level guitarist, I'd base my decision more upon the instrument's playability than upon it's sound.
Quote by Danno13
I disagree, I really dislike the MG series, but everyone's entitled to an opinion.

It's a practise amp, who cares if the tone is ****. I doubt that any of you guys have a "godly" tone with your "godly" tube amps. You can better waste 120 bucks on a ****ty tone than waste 800 bucks on a ****ty tone.
Well if it sounds like crap, then there's less chance that he'll keep playing, and he'll most likely lose interest. Anyway, why the hell would you buy the MG if the Roland or the Vox can deliver much better sounds at pretty much the same price?

I'd recommend a Yamaha Pacifica for guitar, as they are quite versatile and are pretty good quality. For an amp, it's either the Roland or a Vox there.
ESP H-300 (EMG81/85)
Ibanez RG570
Ashton VP30
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CE-5
Boss DS-2
Behringer EQ-700
Member #12 of the "Use Your Fucking Dictionary Club." PM Dæmönika to join.
Mr T of the Avatar A-Team.
Why waste money on a Marshall MG when you can get an amp with a better tone for a cheaper price?
Roland Micro Cube all the way, those things can play loud as well so don't worry about that.
Jackson RR5
Epiphone LP Standard
Ibanez S370
Marshall JCM 800 4103 Combo
Roland Cube 60
fugg the amp thing, when i very first started out i bought a convertor and plug my guitar to my com. but thats strictly for pratcising for me

unless you don't own a com or something but i wont be seeing you if thats the case
Quote by Master Of Shred
It's a practise amp, who cares if the tone is ****. I doubt that any of you guys have a "godly" tone with your "godly" tube amps. You can better waste 120 bucks on a ****ty tone than waste 800 bucks on a ****ty tone.

But why waste $120 on a shit-toned amp that really is only good for the name on it, when you could spend $100 on a good toned Micro Cube or $125 on a great-toned Vox AD15?

I never used the word godly. I don't own a tube amp. Stop defending that piece of crap.