I'm having trouble getting a good, clean distortion, (hah) what I mean by that is whenever I turn distortion on, and I play something (for example, master of puppets bridge solo)

(----19-15
-17--------17) part
because of distortion carrying on notes-
It always
a)sounds messy because I don't mute the 17 before I play the 19
b)If I lift my finger off the 17 to solve problem A, the B string rings.
c)If I lift my finger (but not off the string) I get a muted sound I don't really like.

Any tips for dealing with this?
Quote by Roc8995
Thin necks make you play faster because guitars with thin necks sound thin and bad, and you play fast to distract people from the bad tone.
turn the gain down a little
My Gear:
Fender Standard Strat w/Tex-mex pups
Epi Les Paul Jr.
Epi MM-20 mandolin
Yamaha FG-110
Boss SD-1
Boss BD-2
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Digitech RP80
Fender FM212R
Epi Valve Junior

Check Me Out:
Me
Make sure its scooped like metallica is known for, (Scooped: Bass 8-10 Mid 2-3 Treble 7-10)
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
What the hell is gain?
Quote by Roc8995
Thin necks make you play faster because guitars with thin necks sound thin and bad, and you play fast to distract people from the bad tone.
Distortion, you might have a drive knob. Lower that a tad

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
might be your amp isn't to great, so your getting very saturated distorsion, which is why your clarity sucks. If you don't have a nice valve amp go buy one, and if you do drop the gain and turn it up
Quote by hessian101
what amp do you have?

Damn, the most obvious question was the last to be asked.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
lol yeah what amp? and practice muting and all, and play everything clean first, u may be playing sloppy
Quote by R_H_C_P
You're joking right?

It's like comparing sex to sticking your penis in a blender.

It's fine clean, my amp is a Behringer GMX 110.
Quote by Roc8995
On the guitar put your hum. lever all the way down and your tone all the way down, while the volume is all the way up. On the amp put your 'clean' to the lowest, your 'drive' (for metallica) ~6-8, and your volume ~5. The rest of the stuff on your amp just ignore.

I tried to convey my settings to your amp for the metallica I rarely play...for me I use the same guitar settings I said, but on my amp I have my 'overdrive' at 7, my 'bass' at +/- 0, my 'middle' at -6, and my 'treble' at +2. My volume changes (obviously).

Just give it a shot, I've never used any other amps than mine and my neighbors so I'm not sure how it will sound on yours. No harm done if it sounds like ass.