hi, I just recently bought a guitar, and I really want to learn to play it. I have previous music experiance (grade 4 pianist) and all I need help in is how to do some chords, mainly ones like these

F5-133XXX
A5-X133XX
G#5-466XX
C#5-X466XX

this is used in Smells like Teen spirit, and I am having lots of trouble playing it. I cant do those chords, it never makes the right sound for me. What I need is a picture, or a guide of how to play these chords, and maybe some others as I only know a few chords. Also, can you tell me any songs that are great for beginners to learn?
Well first off, if smells like teen spirit is hard for you,.....uh...it shouldnt be. Even though thats the real name of the chords and it sounds intimidating, just play power chords, it works
Quote by azn_guitarist25
what music do you play? what amp do you maily use? how much you willing to spend? what country do you live in?

Quote by timi_hendrix
You forgot "asl?"

Quote by @zzasin
You want me dead cause I don't share your opinion?

I bet my life savings your an American..
^ Dude he just started playing. Of course its gonna be hard for him
that's called a powerchord, and you can play it by only picking the bottom three strings and not even touching the top three, or by using your index finger to block all three top strings if you want that muted scraping sound, which you probably don't. just hold the note on the e string with ythe tip of your index and use the middle of the finger to block the other strings. it will make sense when you try it...

finger:
|---------------|
|----------3---|
|------3-------|
|--1-----------|
....1...3...4 < fingers
Last edited by noahray at May 24, 2006,
^What he said

Nirvana is as good a place as any to start with easy songs.
Also, Green Day, Blink 182 and the White Stripes.
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
My problem is, is trying to do it by using my 1st 3rd and forth finger.

I just cant reach! when I try to get my first finger up to fret 1, my other too fingers slide up, I really cant do it!
Practice.
Try just playing two strings for a start, see if that helps.

Soon it'll be completely natural to you.
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Start off just playing chords like this:

|--3--|
|--1--|

So skip out the octave note (I assume you know basic theory from your piano). Just play 5th chords that way with your first and third fingers. If you find it hard to change, try just holding your fingers and playing the same chord until your fingers get used to it.

Good luck!
~ My Gear ~

Gibson Les Paul Studio in Alpine White with EMG 81/60
Fender Stratocaster
Marshall DSL401
Boss Metal Zone MT-2
Boss Super Overdrive SD-1
Boss Noise Suppressor NS-2
Digitech RP80
Samson Wireless
Fender Champions Series 30